June patch tuesday: Audio and Display drivers not updating

Marc_SP

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I just updated my Surface 2 with the June updates, but I have noticed that the Nvidia Tegra 4 audio and display drivers have not been updated (as they should, according to the Microsoft change list).

If you have also installed the June updates, ?have your drivers been updated to the latest version (9.17.13.28xx)? Please aswer the poll.

Thank you!

UPDATE: It seems that after 3 days the firmware is rolling out to more (all?) people.

Last edited:

ChazTyldsley

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
Sigh, this again. Already replaced my device once for this bug prior to MS acknowledging it and fixing it in an update. I've not refreshed this device or anything like that in the past (which was the cause of the bug previously), but I've just updated and my drivers are showing as the 2013 old version. Amount of little bugs and issues with this device starts to really grate on you over time.

Last edited:

Paolo Cardelli

Jan 22, 2014
Visit site
Something weird happened to me.
The first day that the new Firmware showed up, I was able to install it without problems, and all my drivers got updated regularly (version 28XX).

But then, checking again WU the previous March 11 Firmware pack showed up ready to install, but nothing changed on Version numbers.
So I thought something messed up, and I decided to try a full Restore (it was been a while since the last one).

When checking WU again after a Fresh Install, only the previous 3/11 Firmware showed up, no more June firmware (the other RT 8.1 patches were available instead).

My guess? -> It seems that MS just pulled back the June Firmware Pack for now, maybe something didn't work as expected.
Very annoying anyway...

Marc_SP

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
It seems that MS just pulled back the June Firmware Pack for now, maybe something didn't work as expected.
Very annoying anyway...

Your theory makes sense. Let's hope that in a few days the new firmware will magically appear again in WU, and it is nothing more bizzarre.
I really need to try the new display drivers. Now almost everyday the driver hangs and restarts by itself, until windows blocks the harware acceleration and even the start screen stutters. Also, many times after pressing the windows button to wake the device, I will only get a black screen (but LED backlight is on, so it could also be a display driver thing).
Surface will never be able to combat the iPad if it cannot be rock stable. It doesn't matter how many other better features it has. At this point I still like Surface, but I cannot reccomend to any of my friends, and even less to family members. Sad...

Last edited:

iampwd

Jun 22, 2013
Visit site
Your theory makes sense. Let's hope that in a few days the new firmware will magically appear again in WU, and it is nothing more bizzarre.
I really need to try the new display drivers. Now almost everyday the driver hangs and restarts by itself, until windows blocks the harware acceleration and even the start screen stutters. Also, many times after pressing the windows button to wake the device, I will only get a black screen (but LED backlight is on, so it could also be a display driver thing).
Surface will never be able to combat the iPad if it cannot be rock stable. It doesn't matter how many other better features it has. At this point I still like Surface, but I cannot reccomend to any of my friends, and even less to family members. Sad...

This might not be an option but resetting the Surface to factory settings without any cover attached has worked for ppl with display driver crashes. But it will not help the "wake up problem". I can't comment on it myself yet, it's only been a few days since I restored.

Marc_SP

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I just restored a couple of months ago. Even if that solutions works, I don't think that restoring Surface every month is acceptable, at all.

Thanks anyway for the suggestion :)

kristalsoldier

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
Strange...I got all the updates, including a firmware update and there were no installation problems either. Additionally, I notice that (1) battery life seems to be marginally better (could be a placebo effect though - need some time sand attention to test this out) and (2) I was having a bit of a problem (before the update) when I opened up the Type Cover and the screen would remain dark. It required me to push down the power button and reboot. That problem seems to have resolved itself.

Marc_SP

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I also got the june Firmware, just now. It seem for some reason it was delayed for some people, or it was pulled for a few days. Strange, anyway.
By the way, the issue was even briefly mentioned by Mary Jo Folley in the Windows Weekly podcast, so it must have happened to more than 4 or 5 people, hehe.

Is everybody else getting the June firmware now? Please post if so. :)

I hope the issues I had with the display driver (crashes) and the audio driver (crashes, stuck volume) have been fixed, as well as improved the battery while in standby (Why iPad gets 10 times lower standby energy usage???).

Also, I think that now the "dynamic contrast/brighness" issue (backlight changes intensity according to on screen content, causing some flickering when things change rapidly) is less apparent than before or has been resolved. Maybe I am just too happy after getting the firmware/drivers. Hahahaha.

Last edited:

Wall iPhone

May 9, 2014
Visit site
(Why iPad gets 10 times lower standby energy usage???)

I would be interested in proof of your statement, I have seen a lot of people stating the same thing but can't find anything that supports this statement. The only thing I can think of, is that maybe the iPad doesn't have TRUE connective standby like the Surface does. I know my iPhone uses PUSH, which I would say is not TRUE active standby.

All other claims that the iPad has better battery life is just false as I have tested this myself. I was really impressed by my brothers iPad's battery life, as it only dropped 2% when I had played Plants VS Zombies for a few minutes. But then I noticed it dropped another 5% in a much shorter period of time, the iPad battery % gauge is really inconsistent and can't be relied upon.

WillysJeepMan

Aug 7, 2008
Visit site
I would be interested in proof of your statement, I have seen a lot of people stating the same thing but can't find anything that supports this statement. The only thing I can think of, is that maybe the iPad doesn't have TRUE connective standby like the Surface does. I know my iPhone uses PUSH, which I would say is not TRUE active standby.

All other claims that the iPad has better battery life is just false as I have tested this myself. I was really impressed by my brothers iPad's battery life, as it only dropped 2% when I had played Plants VS Zombies for a few minutes. But then I noticed it dropped another 5% in a much shorter period of time, the iPad battery % gauge is really inconsistent and can't be relied upon.
So because YOU have not experienced better battery life ALL OTHER CLAIMS are false?

If I were to use your logic, since I experience 12-14 hours of battery life usage on my iPad 4 then THAT is what is true.

See how that works? :eek:rly:

Marc_SP

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site

Well, I have not counducted a formal research (obviously), but in my experience an iPad with wifi on loses about 1-2 % overnight, while my Surface 2 loses 5-7 %. Even my Windows phone drains battery % slower than Surface in similar circunstances, and the battery is far smaller and the hardware is a similiar architecture. Thus, something is wrong (not optimized) in the Windows 8/RT code.

All iOS devices can get messages, VoIP calls and other updates in real time while in Standby, so I don't know what is the difference with the ""real"" connected standby of Windows you mention.
Actually many times I wake up my Surface 2, and the new email or new message badges don't appear on the lock screen until 4 or 5 seconds later, like if it was updating after I woke it up. Also, apps like Bing News should be able to update the news in the background (something possible in iOS, I believe). Every time I open it I have to wait at least 10 seconds while it is gathering the latest news. So much for "real" Connected Standby.

And don't get me wrong, I like quite a lot Surface 2, as I can do things with it than an iPad can only dream of, but I am not stupid. Surface has its limitations and problems. Mainly software related ones. And I want it to get as many improvements as possible and to have fixed as many bugs as possible. Any Surface owner should wish the same.

Harri_Tku

Jul 14, 2013
Visit site
Marc_SP, yes Surface is very different from iPad. You cannot get all the best features in the same package. You have to choose best for you. Now best for me is Surface2. iPad mini is used by my 1,5 year old daughter, she is very happy with it.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs