So I lately i have been researching the Surface 2, and I am really interested in purchasing one. I love the battery life, portability, included office and kickstand. When the Surface Pro 3 was released i was really hoping for a Surface 3 RT version but I am still unsure if the RT brand tablets from Microsoft have been killed off. The Surface Pro 3 does not interest me simply because I already have a Laptop that will do plenty for me, and the cost of the Pro 3 is just way to much after purchasing the keyboard. So what I am wondering is do you still think the Surface 2 is still worth purchasing? Do you guys think there is any chance of a Surface 3 RT version? Any suggestions will help!
    07-08-2014 02:02 AM
    On a personal note (and this is very much a personal observation) I never rated the Surface 2 and wouldn't have considered getting one even when they first came out. From what I can tell the Surface 3 Pro has made a few major leaps forward and is the first MS tablet I'm going to be buying.

I think there's a lot of reasons why MS raced to get the Surface 3 Pro out to market (the Surface 2 was launched less than a year ago) and it probably has a lot to do with the disappointment users had with the Surface 2.

If you're on the market for a tablet, I'd spend that extra coupe of hundred $ and invest in a Surface 3 Pro.
    07-08-2014 03:59 AM
    Depending on what you are wanting to do with the surface 2 I would say that yes it is absolutely still worth getting. Microsoft has indicated that they are still all in on arm and rt so I wouldn't worry too much about support.

No-No, I don't believe that, as you say, Microsoft was dealing with so many disappointed users of the surface 2. In fact, I have seen overwhelming support of the device from the majority of users who seem to love the device, myself included. The majority of the bad information circulating has come from the tech writers/bloggers not seeming to be able to get their head around the whole RT vs full windows situation. That's not to say that some people haven't experienced some hiccups along the way but for the most part this is an amazingly solid device. In my opinion the RT platform has some solid reasons to choose it over full windows. IF you are Joe average user who predominantly uses their laptop/computer for email, surfing, casual gaming and consumption then RT is a perfect fit. Combine that with the ability to work in office and you have a perfect fit for the majority of the populous. The fact that RT is much more of a walled garden in terms of security with everything running sandboxes, there is little to no worry for most people about somehow getting viruses and other problems common on full versions of Windows.

There is rumor and speculation about windows phone and RT merging. Some people seem to feel that it means that RT is done, but in the face of Microsoft comments about RT perhaps what that means is that, rather than RT being replaced by WP, what we will see is WP becoming more like RT, that much more powerful. Until it happens it is all just speculation on our part.

To the OP though, Surface 2 is still a great device that has the ability to accomplish plenty as your day-to-day go to device. I haven't hesitated at all in recommending it to friends, who all seem to love theirs as well.
    xandros9, Jcmg62 and neviksq like this.
    07-08-2014 11:23 AM
    Absolutely, I first got the Surface RT and I loved how smooth IE was, but it was lagging in performance elsewhere. So I couldn't recommend it to friends. Opening apps etc was very slow sometimes. Got the Surface 2 when it came out and it's still as fast as any ARM tablet. Love it!

Sent from my RM-937_eu_euro1_935 using Tapatalk
    07-08-2014 11:27 AM
    I think it's worth it if you believe the price is right, and know exactly what you're getting. If its shortcomings aren't a big deal. MS has appeared to really stick with RT.
    07-08-2014 11:33 AM
    On a personal note (and this is very much a personal observation) I never rated the Surface 2 and wouldn't have considered getting one even when they first came out. From what I can tell the Surface 3 Pro has made a few major leaps forward and is the first MS tablet I'm going to be buying.

I think there's a lot of reasons why MS raced to get the Surface 3 Pro out to market (the Surface 2 was launched less than a year ago) and it probably has a lot to do with the disappointment users had with the Surface 2.
    I disagree. Although there was disappointment with the Surface 2, Microsoft also released the Surface Pro 2 at the same time. The SP2 was NOT disappointing. Microsoft properly framed the marketing for it and there was less criticism of the SP2 than there is for the SP3. I believe that is a result of Microsoft's claim that the SP3 can replace an MBA.

I believe that one reason for Microsoft rushing out the SP3 had to do with what Apple plans to announce/release this Fall. Microsoft wanted the tech-world's undivided attention when they announced the SP3. In that respect, I think that the timing was perfect. If the rumors are true and Apple produces a 12" MBA, then I can see those who are pro-Apple-but-Surface-curious lose interest in the Surface. But if Microsoft can capture those people NOW, there will be fewer to lose later.

I think that the rumored on-again, off-again Surface Mini is also tied to what they're hearing might be coming from Apple.

As to the original question, the Surface 2 was released Oct 22 2013. That's roughly 8.5 months ago. There are a new batch of Windows 8.1 tablets being release this month and next for far less than the price of a Surface 2. I don't think it is wise to pay full price on a Surface 2 at this point in time. If there are some significant discounts then it might be worth considering.
    07-08-2014 05:11 PM
    I read something the mini was still going to be released in July. Id just wait and see.
    07-08-2014 06:15 PM
    For me it was. All I use it for is web surfing, movies, and my number one hobby....reading comics!
    It should be here by Friday...I'm so excited.

Oh and I just got an Xbox controller for my SRT and it's so freaking sweet!
    The S2 will just be that much better and I got a great deal on it $300 with type cover, case and hdmi cable.
    07-08-2014 07:54 PM
    wow! I would definitely get a Surface 2 if it was $300! how did you get that price? craigslist? ebay?
    07-09-2014 01:05 AM
    I have looked into other Windows tablets but none of them really interest me. The Surface Keyboard in my opinion really outs it over the top. It adds virtually no bulk and weight to the tablet. Then also coming preloaded with Office is a huge deal for me. I don't want to do deal with purchasing that. The only thing holding me back is I am still not sure if we will see another RT version of the Surface. If there was I would be buying it the moment it came out. So for now I may wait
    07-09-2014 01:13 AM
    wow! I would definitely get a Surface 2 if it was $300! how did you get that price? craigslist? ebay?
    Ebay
    07-09-2014 07:09 AM
    For me it was. All I use it for is web surfing, movies, and my number one hobby....reading comics!
    It should be here by Friday...I'm so excited.

Oh and I just got an Xbox controller for my SRT and it's so freaking sweet!
    The S2 will just be that much better and I got a great deal on it $300 with type cover, case and hdmi cable.
    I tried using my Surface RT and Surface 2 for comic reading. The first hurdle was finding software that could handle my cbz/cbr files. Most terminated attempting open some larger magazine/catalog scans.

COVER in the App Store was the only one that worked. I highly recommend that app. It isn't as good as those available on iOS, but for Modern UI apps, it is tops.

Having jumped that hurdle, I found that the 16:9 aspect ratio of the Surface was not very good for comic reading. In portrait mode there was a letterbox effect, and in landscape mode, the dual page layout was a bit small.
    07-09-2014 04:04 PM
    I use comiXology. I stopped using cbz/cbr files when the iPad came out.
    The surface works great for me reading comics.
    07-09-2014 09:25 PM
    If you're on the market for a tablet, I'd spend that extra coupe of hundred $ and invest in a Surface 3 Pro.
    And then what? If you are looking for tablet, where the main focus is running touch optimized apps from the store you just bought a heavier, actively cooled device and payed much more on top of this.
    Of course if you are looking for a laptop replacement the Surface Pro 3 might be a very good choice. But in above mentioned use-case it certainly is far from ideal. This holds in particular because even the Surface 2 is already on the heavier side of the spectrum.

There are a new batch of Windows 8.1 tablets being release this month and next for far less than the price of a Surface 2.
    Thats pretty much irrelevant as the tablets to be released still use last year's technology, namely Baytrail. And Baytrail tablets were already cheaper than Surface 2 eight months ago. And if i say cheap, i mean not just the price. So nothing new here.
    On the other hand, since the Surface 2 is already 8 months on the market there might be a price reduction due similar to the original Surface RT. But Microsoft might not be in a hurry as long as demand is high.
    07-10-2014 03:17 PM

"There are a new batch of Windows 8.1 tablets being release this month and next for far less than the price of a Surface 2."

Thats pretty much irrelevant as the tablets to be released still use last year's technology, namely Baytrail. And Baytrail tablets were already cheaper than Surface 2 eight months ago. And if i say cheap, i mean not just the price. So nothing new here.
    That is NOT irrelevant to the discussion of whether or not a Surface 2 is still worth buying. Even if it is "last year's" technology, in terms of what these tablets can run compared to the Surface 2 running Windows RT, those "last year"
    technology options will still provide more functionality. Their ability to run Modern UI apps is the same as the Surface 2.

The 2 main selling points for the Surface 2 (over the Pro) were the inclusion of MS Office and the price. With devices like the DV8P including MS Office and selling for nearly half the price of a S2, those to selling points are no longer effective.

On the other hand, since the Surface 2 is already 8 months on the market there might be a price reduction due similar to the original Surface RT. But Microsoft might not be in a hurry as long as demand is high.
    The only reason why the Surface RT units were heavily discounted was because Microsoft way overproduced them compared to demand. They were much more accurate this time around... if you remember when the Surface 2 was first released last Oct, they were not easily available. There are no warehouses filled to the gills with unsold Surface 2 devices like there were for Surface RT.

So why exactly should anyone purchase a Surface 2 today over any of the Windows tablets running full Windows?
    07-10-2014 04:59 PM
    That is NOT irrelevant to the discussion of whether or not a Surface 2 is still worth buying. Even if it is "last year's" technology, in terms of what these tablets can run compared to the Surface 2 running Windows RT, those "last year"
    technology options will still provide more functionality.
    You did not understant my point. Those tablets cheaper than the Surface are already available for some time. It is therefore irrelevant that more of the same are relased within the next weeks. The existance of such devices is of course not irrelevant for the discussion.

The 2 main selling points for the Surface 2 (over the Pro) were the inclusion of MS Office and the price. With devices like the DV8P including MS Office and selling for nearly half the price of a S2
    Absolutely disagree. I bought the Surface 2 for it's design, it's feel and materials, the kickstand/typecover, the faster Processor/GPU, it's resistance against viruses, the inclusion of Outlook, the lower os footprint, the full size USB host port, while at the same time do not having the need to run desktop apps. Very good reasons to pay more.

tablets running full Windows?
    Even though many people refer to Windows x86 to "full Windows" it is far from the truth. Windows ARM (aka RT) is for all intents and purposes as "full" as Windows x86. The difference is the processor architecture, not the OS. Thats like saying only ARM Android is "full Android", or only x86 Linux is full Linux.
    Last edited by Cruncher04; 07-11-2014 at 04:35 AM.
    07-11-2014 04:12 AM
    Even though many people refer to Windows x86 to "full Windows" it is far from the truth. Windows ARM (aka RT) is for all intents and purposes as "full" as Windows x86. The difference is the processor architecture, not the OS. Thats like saying only ARM Android is "full Android", or only x86 Linux is full Linux.
    That is simply not true. Windows RT is not "for all intents and purposes as "full" as Windows x86. I wish Microsoft defenders would stop continuing to spread that falsehood. There are a few key differences. For one, Windows RT is locked down... you cannot install apps compiled for Windows RT onto a Surface 2 unless those apps are in the app store. A second one, Microsoft has not opened up legacy APIs that would utilize the desktop for Windows RT. Only MS Office RT and the remnants of system tools are the only ones that have access to them. There are more, but hopefully you'll get the point.

Now you might reply by saying that is a limitation put on it by Microsoft and not some inherent deficiency in Windows RT... but THAT "for all intents and purposes" makes Windows RT DIFFERENT than Windows x86.
    07-11-2014 09:10 AM
    *sigh* so much misinformation. Let me go through this step by step.

For one, Windows RT is locked down... you cannot install apps compiled for Windows RT onto a Surface 2 unless those apps are in the app store.
    The procedure for sideloading apps is the same for Windows ARM and Windows x86.
    1) get a sideloading product key (or optionally developer unlock your device and skip 2)
    2) activate the key with Powershell (slmgr.exe)
    3) compile an appx package either for "anyCPU" or just "ARM" (note there is no compilation option for Windows RT, just ARM, x86, x64 or anyCPU)
    4) deploy the app package using Powershell (Add-AppxPackage)

Only MS Office RT and the remnants of system Tools
    I would not call them remnants, as there are much more system tools, which you apparently are not aware of, as for instance the system tools for sideloading i mentioned above or tools to manage and manipulate ACLs etc.

A second one, Microsoft has not opened up legacy APIs that would utilize the desktop for Windows RT
    The legacy APIs are just available. They are not closed/locked at all. I have compiled quite a few desktop apps for ARM using Win32 API.
    You can even access legacy APIs from modern apps if you want to. (of course your app will be not allowed in the store if you do so), But that the APIs are locked is a myth.
    The only real restriction is the certificate enforcement on Windows RT, which prevents any homebrew desktop app from actually running without jailbreak.
    Last edited by Cruncher04; 07-11-2014 at 03:37 PM.
    neviksq likes this.
    07-11-2014 03:22 PM
    For one, Windows RT is locked down... you cannot install apps compiled for Windows RT onto a Surface 2 unless those apps are in the app store.
    Not entirely true. Check this out: MSDN Blogs

The app is not part of the Windows Store, but MS allows it to be installed.
    07-11-2014 05:35 PM
    For me, I cringe whenever I think about my dad buying the iPad Air for $550 that came with only 16 GB of storage. I was done with iPads at the iPad 2. I still have my iPad 2, and it's still is good when there's an iOS app I really want.

I've really loved my Surface RT and Surface Pro 2. It's still amazing to think of how useful my Surface RT has been and I got it at a steal for under $200 with keyboard. For $300 and below, I would definitely go with a Surface 2. If it's much better than my Surface RT, that would make $300 a slam dunk. There's no machine around $300 that I would get over a Surface 2. I own the Asus Transformer T100 and it's been okay as a tablet. But definitely not better for me than the Surface RT (except for faster web browsing). I'm intrigued by the newer Acer Aspire Switch. If I was to go for a Windows 8.1 hybrid and was on a severe budget, I would definitely try that out (knowing all the flaws of the Asus from personal experience).

The app store definitely needs to get bigger. I still shake my head at how much Apple can charge for an iPad. The only truly winning factor is the software. Nothing else is that special to me with the iPad Air. I played with my dad's for a few days. He's a diehard Apple fan (though he's more of a tech fan and owns Android, Windows, and Apple devices), and he admits the iPad Air is not that much better than the iPad 2. Better, but not $550 better. And I've had Android tablets too. My latest was the Galaxy Note 3 and that's slow as heck. I don't get why Android is so slow. I owned Android from Froyo to Gingerbread to Honeycomb to Ice Cream Sandwich to Jelly Bean. It requires major horses to run and they have tons of features but they all have rough edges. You are in perpetual beta mode with Android. Every generation, they say, "this is the generation..." but I'm done with Android. No Kit Kat for me.

If you want a tablet-like body and can go above $300 and want one machine to do everything, I'd definitely go for a used Surface Pro machine (be it 1, 2, or in the future 3). To me a used Surface Pro machine tops any new $400 Windows 8.1 Atom tablet. To me, a used Surface Pro machine for $500 destroys a new $400 Atom tablet (even though the battery of the original Surface Pro is terrible). I know many people on a budget are looking for the magic bullet machine that is cheap and can replace their old computers. One machine to rule them all (as long as it's cheap). I hate to remind people but the rule is still in effect: you get what you pay for. From pictures, it looks like the keys on the Acer Aspire Switch are a little bigger than the Asus T100. If that's the case, that may be enough to swing the odds big time in the Acer's favor. I also like how it's easier to dock and undock the Acer. That was another big problem I had with the Asus because of the way it was designed, you need to put the machine on the table. It's nowhere near close to the Surface machines where you just quickly pull the keyboard off. No one ever puts the Surface down just to unhook a keyboard. In fact, 80% of the time, I'm standing when I separate my keyboard (the other 20% is probably in bed).
    07-11-2014 09:47 PM
    Tell you what: I'm still using my Surface RT and it works like a charm... just a bit of a slow charm :)

I use my Surface with a Type Cover 2. I used to have a Touch Cover 1 that got the job done but was not great. Since I switched to the type cover, this is now my main machine at work - all I need at my job is office and being able to read PDFs. That said, it is a bit slow, not super slow by any means, just lags enough to notice it. I'm waiting to see what is released this fall: if there's a Tegra K1 Surface released, then I'll buy that for sure, if there's no S3 then I'll just search eBay for a S2 for around $300. I wouldn't pay more than that for a S2 at this point. Get a manufacturer refurbished one or a used - like new one.
    badMojo69 likes this.
    07-18-2014 11:48 AM
    I think at under $300 its a good deal. I have a Surface Pro which I am considering selling to get a Surface 2. My main reason for switching is that I barely use the Surface Pro for any x86 apps (have a desktop for that), don't use the pen like I had planned to (biggest reason I got a SP instead of a S2 in the first place) and am really interested in the increased battery life of the 2 over the Pro. My plan is to try to sell my Surface Pro 128 GB for around $400, and wait for a deal to get a Surface 2 for $250 or so.
    07-20-2014 01:02 PM
    You have your chance. The Surface 2's price dropped by $100
    08-25-2014 02:04 PM