Sync google calendar onto a Surface 2/RT ?

Gamely Lounges

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
Has anyone figured out a way to get your google calendar appointments to sync onto the calendar app of a surface 2 / windows rt device?

I was able to do this on my WP8 device and am somewhat astounded that I can't ALSO do it on my Surface 2.

Background:
Because my employer doesn't support WP8 I have been struggling to find ways to get my work calendar on my windows devices. We use zimbra email/calendar and thunderbird is the preferred client but I finally realized I can use Outlook 2007 client. I found a utility that syncs from MS Outlook 2007 to google, but haven't been able to find anything that sync from MS Outlook 2007 to www.outlook.com. On my WP8 device I can easily pull in google calendar. I obviously would prefer to keep google out of the equation.

Works: MS Outlook 2007 calendar --> google calendar --> WP8
Doesn't Work: MS Outlook 2007 calendar --> google calendar --> Surface 2
Doesn't Work: MS Outlook 2007 calendar --> Outlook.com calendar

Thanks,
Sam

Gamely Lounges

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site

Hi Laura,
I am looking for a solution that would continuously and automatically update my Surface with google calendar items.
The solution you linked seems to be a manual process to perform a 1-time export and import.

"Notes
Once you move your events from Google to Outlook.com, to continue receiving new events sent to your Gmail account or updates to older events that other people have created, tell people to send events to your Outlook.com email address.
If you shared your Google calendar, you'll also need to share your Outlook.com calendar."

Thanks,
Sam

Cruncher04

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
I am looking for a solution that would continuously and automatically update my Surface with google calendar items.

If your Google mail account supports EAS, it will work directly with the mail/calendar/contacts app. If it does not support EAS, upgrade your Google mail account.

Here is the message from Google:
"Starting January 30, 2013, consumers won't be able to set up new devices using Google Sync; however, existing Google Sync connections will continue to function. Google Sync will continue to be fully supported for Google Apps for Business, Government and Education. Users of those products are unaffected by this announcement."

Note:
Google Sync = EAS.

Gamely Lounges

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
Thanks monkeypimp, that did the trick!
The solution is to get the google calendar private subscription URL and subscribe to that in the www.outlook.com calendar settings.
Yay. So now my surface finally shows all of my calendar details.
:)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb