I think my Surface 2 is broken!

GSOgymrat

May 15, 2012
Visit site
My Surface 2 was on my desk and I was visiting my regular websites when suddenly a loud sound, like radio static, started coming through the speakers. The sound will stop occasionally but is on more than off and seems to happen no matter whether I am on the Start screen or using an app. I thought at first might be associated with when data is transmitted through wifi but I'm not sure. I have tried restarting and turning wifi on and off to no effect. The sound is not affected by volume control or mute. It is really loud, like the speakers are at full volume. Any suggestions?

StuBeck

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
They should reinstall automatically when you do a scan for hardware changes by right clicking on device manager and selecting that. Are they not?

GSOgymrat

May 15, 2012
Visit site
I end up doing a "Refresh your PC" and that appears to have fixed the problem. I've been thinking about getting a Surface Pro 3 but I wanted to be able to sell the Surface 2.

GSOgymrat

May 15, 2012
Visit site
Rats! I think I spoke too soon. The sound worked for a couple of minutes but now my right speaker will not work at all and I'm getting an intermittent popping and static sounds.

etphoto

Aug 15, 2007
Visit site
I would uninstall ALL drivers related to sound. . . reboot and scan for any hardware changes. The Surface should then install the needed drivers. Check for any updates after the drivers are installed.

GSOgymrat

May 15, 2012
Visit site
I would uninstall ALL drivers related to sound. . . reboot and scan for any hardware changes. The Surface should then install the needed drivers. Check for any updates after the drivers are installed.

Unfortunately it didn't work. I am still getting no sound from the right speaker at all and intermittent popping sounds even when I am not playing audio. I wonder if it is worth trying to send this Surface off for repair.

monkeypimp

Dec 6, 2013
Visit site
I would honestly call Microsoft....this should still be under warranty and my experience with them was the best Customer service I have ever gotten from any company! I would just tell them exactly what happened and my guess is they will likely swap it out for a replacement.

GSOgymrat

May 15, 2012
Visit site
I didn't even have to call them. I just went online and with a few clicks they are sending a replacement with packing materials and a prepaid mailing label for the broken unit. This is great! :smile:

Before I realized how easy this would be I decided to buy a Surface Pro 3. It have not opened it yet and I'm a little concerned I might not like it as much as Surface 2, which I love. I feel better knowing that if I don't like Surface Pro 3 I can return it to Best Buy and just keep Surface 2.

exkerZ

Nov 21, 2013
Visit site
I didn't even have to call them. I just went online and with a few clicks they are sending a replacement with packing materials and a prepaid mailing label for the broken unit. This is great! :smile:

Before I realized how easy this would be I decided to buy a Surface Pro 3. It have not opened it yet and I'm a little concerned I might not like it as much as Surface 2, which I love. I feel better knowing that if I don't like Surface Pro 3 I can return it to Best Buy and just keep Surface 2.

If you don't like the pro 3, you can send it to me :) no worries man.

monkeypimp

Dec 6, 2013
Visit site

Microsoft has amazing Customer service.... And i truly believe one of the best operating systems, I think because it isn't just a screen full of App Icons to click people get confused and think it is difficult....My neighbor has 8.1 on his computer and said he hated the Metro screen...I spent 5 minutes tops and showed him how metro worked on my Surface and a couple days later I got a text from him saying that showing him how it worked has made his computer more useful than ever before and that he loves the Metro interface.....

I love Microsoft!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs