Nokia Lumia 2520 as alternative to surface 2?

Cobb

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
It seems the surface 2 has its problems, but I kind of like it. 32 gb is enough ram for me and besides you can add an sd card. I basically need office and to browse online. Seems like this maybe a good alternative and I see them go on ebay for under 300 bucks used and refurbished. Is this a better buy than another surface 2 if you wanted a back up? If not, what is a good idea for an alternative device in the same category and price?

Thx

PS, Ive had a love hate relationship with windows, however the other OSes dont cut it for what I need to do. I am just shocked at how great windows 8 works for me and office. I almost want to have a backup device ready to go in the event my surface fails, breaks or gets stolen.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
It seems the surface 2 has its problems, but I kind of like it. 32 gb is enough ram for me and besides you can add an sd card. I basically need office and to browse online. Seems like this maybe a good alternative and I see them go on ebay for under 300 bucks used and refurbished. Is this a better buy than another surface 2 if you wanted a back up? If not, what is a good idea for an alternative device in the same category and price?

Thx

PS, Ive had a love hate relationship with windows, however the other OSes dont cut it for what I need to do. I am just shocked at how great windows 8 works for me and office. I almost want to have a backup device ready to go in the event my surface fails, breaks or gets stolen.

Not really, know that with any device, those with problems are the most vocal.
Minor correction, 32 GB is the storage, RAM is something else, and 32 GB is almost unheard of in the consumer space.

The 2520 is a fine alternative, its just that you need to know what you're getting. It doesn't have a kickstand and has a plastic housing not unlike its phones. I believe it does have an official case/keyboard option though.

Personally, I think I'd spring for the Surface 2, but if the price is right, I might jump for the 2520.

rory753

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Yes, it is.
I have the surface rt, surface pro 2 and a lumia 2520.

the 2520 feels better to hold, has a better camera(nokia camera app with the OIS with a low f stop) for capturing documents in onenote, has LTE capability(not needed, but it's there if you want it), can be used as an LTE hot spot, has nokia storyteller and video editing software.

The things I don't like about it are the same as the RT. I want to charge via a usb. I want it to have a digitizer stylus. I want a built in portrait kickstand(not landscape) for writing documents.

If/When threshold comes out, I'd rather have this then the surface 2, since I assume most of the nokia apps will be tailored for nokia devices. Yes, I know they're the same company, but still...

RajeevT

May 3, 2014
Visit site
the 2520 feels better to hold, has a better camera(nokia camera app with the OIS with a low f stop) for capturing documents in onenote, has LTE capability(not needed, but it's there if you want it), can be used as an LTE hot spot, has nokia storyteller and video editing software.
Sure the 2520 might be better than the Surface RT, but how about compared to the Surface 2 with LTE?

If/When threshold comes out, I'd rather have this then the surface 2, since I assume most of the nokia apps will be tailored for nokia devices. Yes, I know they're the same company, but still...
There are unlikely to be any apps exclusive to or even tailored for the 2520 henceforth.

GrayW0lf

Jun 7, 2012
Visit site
There are unlikely to be any apps exclusive to or even tailored for the 2520 henceforth.
That's pure conjecture. The 2520 only had a couple of tablet-specific apps written for it anyway. :) The 2520 is a great tablet if, as noted above, you know what you're buying. My wife and I love our 2520 (though I won't deny being slightly jealous of the Surface tablets' kickstand!)

I do recommend it for purchase, if RT tablets are being considered.

RajeevT

May 3, 2014
Visit site
That's pure conjecture.

Of course it is, that's why I said "There are unlikely to be any apps" instead of "There will be no apps". Still, my negative conjecture is as valid as your positive one. :) Personally I'd take the Surface 2 over the 2520 any day. Any tablet without a built-in kickstand seems awfully inadequate to me now.

GrayW0lf

Jun 7, 2012
Visit site
Of course it is, that's why I said "There are unlikely to be any apps" instead of "There will be no apps". Still, my negative conjecture is as valid as your positive one. :) Personally I'd take the Surface 2 over the 2520 any day. Any tablet without a built-in kickstand seems awfully inadequate to me now.
OK, fair enough. I was going to argue/counter, but honestly, I don't feel -that- strongly about it.

The Surface tablets kick ****, there's no question about that. The 2520 is also a good tablet. :) Any purchase that is made is a personal decision based on the purchaser's own opinion. Though I agree regarding the kickstand being a weakness (when comparing the tablets), I do not see it as a show stopper any more than I see the same lack as a weakness on my Lumia 1520. :) Built-in kickstands are not the "norm" for tablets. It's a relative competitive advantage for the Surface 2, depending on your overall preferences.

In the end, I feel that both the Surface line of RT tablets and the 2520 are good purchases because they give us all choices. The "real" problem is that they are woefully under represented in stores (you can't find a 2520 at all around here and they definitely aren't on display in AT&T stores any longer).

Last edited:

rory753

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
(a whole lot of kickstand love.)
The kickstand is nice, and I use it on my surface pro 2 regularly. a person can get a case that replicates the kickstand function. limiting the tablet to only landscape with the kickstand is sort of sucky for a small device. When I write something, I would much rather do it in portrait mode then landscape mode.

with a Microsoft wedge keyboard, I can set up the tablet however. its not as light as the type keyboard, but it allows a whole lot more functionality.

the kickstand is a product differentiator, but its not the be all end all reason to buy a surface. the construction of the surface 2 is much better and sturdy then the 2520. but I still like the rounded corners of the 2520 to hold over the angle edges of the surface 2.

the 2520 has LTE capability on both Verizon and AT&T. the surface 2 doesn't.

RajeevT

May 3, 2014
Visit site
Any purchase that is made is a personal decision based on the purchaser's own opinion.

Definitely. People can ask for the opinions of strangers on the internet all they want but ultimately it's their own decision and they have to live with it, be it good or bad. :)

Another 6 months or so should show us Microsoft's vision for RT+WP when the ARM Preview of Threshold is released. Hope both Surface RT tablets and the 2520 receive it, preferably as a free update. Oh and Modern Office too of course, since Threshold will apparently do away with the desktop on all ARM tablets.

the kickstand is a product differentiator, but its not the be all end all reason to buy a surface. the construction of the surface 2 is much better and sturdy then the 2520. but I still like the rounded corners of the 2520 to hold over the angle edges of the surface 2.

Of course it isn't the sole reason, but a major one (for me), and I have no problems with using it only for landscape mode. Also the look/feel of the devices is a very subjective and personal preference. I actually prefer the Surface to the 2520 in hand and love how it looks.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss