New Surface 2 no battery detected right out of the box

wazoomie

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I tried a couple of things I found online;

• Uninstalling battery drivers, shutting the device off for 30 minutes, charging it while device still shut down
  • Shutting it down and hold volume up + power for 15 seconds, charge it for a bit.

Finally my device is charging for the first time in four days! But it only goes up to 9% and now it's saying "plugged in, not charging".

rj135

Sep 19, 2014
Visit site
Also try fully updating it as a few others and I have suggested. You might get an error when checking for them but keep trying. See my earlier post for more detail. Hope it works out :)

PAC757

Mar 27, 2012
Visit site
@wazoomie

I tried everything you did also, try this :
Turn off your Surface and leave it on the charger for an hour or two, then while leaving it turned off unplug the charger from your surface, and press and hold down the on button and just keep holding it down for at least 5 minutes, ignore what ever your tablet does, it will flash the start up screen and turn off again just ignore that, then after at least 5 minutes passes, let go of the button, at this time your tablet will be off, then just push the on button till it turns on, go to the desktop and look at the battery it should say some percentage. Then plug it in, it should say charging. That's what worked for me.

Sebastian Speyrer

Sep 30, 2014
Visit site
I had this same problem,and I I just reversed the direction of the charging piece. It does light up both ways if you stick it on. One way showed the no charge at all,I just reversed it and now the damn thing is charging.

wazoomie

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I think my Surface is fixed. Thanks for all the help and tricks!

The first thing I did when I got my Surface was installing all updates (53 in total). This did not resolve the issue. I think what resolved the issue for me was to uninstall the battery drivers and turning the device off for half an hour right after. Then I plugged in the charger and didn't boot the Surface for another half hour. When I did boot it, it showed the 9% charged (plugged in, not charging). For me it only charges now when the device is turned off, but I'm okay with that.

PAC757

Mar 27, 2012
Visit site
Anyone experience a change with today's update?

I'm waiting to see if there is any change in the way my Surface charges with the new update, it has been sporadic since the day I got it. Sometimes will only charge to 95%, other times it says 95% available not charging, even though it is plugged in. Never have seen it say over 97% and that was one time.

Daniel Gandolfo

Aug 21, 2013
Visit site
I had the same problem with the battery not charging right out of the box. After installing all of the updates and after carrying out a soft reset I found that it worked.

1ronside

Aug 6, 2014
Visit site
My firmware update is stuck on "pending restart" :( Windows Update Troubleshooter fixed three problems but there's no way for me to reattempt the install.... Sigh. Time to use the warranty I think.

Anotsorandomname

Dec 15, 2014
Visit site
For a surface 2... uninstall the 2 battery drivers. Disconnect the power connection (yes, this will turn off the tablet). Hold power button for 30 seconds - while still holding, reconnect the power connection. Release power button when 'surface' appears on screen. You should see the battery icon without the red x. If you check the battery icon (in desktop mode) you might see it not charging. If so repeat above steps except this time only uninstall the ACP battery driver.

Who designs these things?!

squelcher

Dec 27, 2014
Visit site
Signed up to say thanks to " Anotsorandomname"
I was going quietly mad trying to get the battery charge icon to work on Surface 2
Went through way too many update cycles and "check again" - in the end I uninstalled both battery drivers, pulled out the power charger - and finally after a restart, and about 5 hours of messing around, it works.
(I also had a nightmare opening a Microsoft account with a plain email - the Surface got all locked up when I amended the email on the MS account.)
I don't think half this stuff is as thought through as it should be - I'm beginning to think I should stick with www and give up on this app stuff - I don't even want Office.. I just want a nice tablet - but OK it is a nice tablet

jason bates3

Jan 17, 2015
Visit site
This is what I did to solve the issue. After trying the updates technique (which did not work), I decided to uninstall the following driver from the Device manager (by removing the device) "Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery", then restarted the tablet. I also noticed that some update-like configuration (or installation was running) while I was shutting down the machine, I think. So when the tablet restarted, the battery started charging, and all is now OK. I don't think it is because of the update that it worked, but rather the removal of the driver.

Denise Wiggins

Jan 30, 2015
Visit site
My surface 2 would not charge and the battery was drained. I have it plugged in but it won't power up. Microsoft techs were no help, they told me I was out of luck because it's no longer under warranty.

JamesPTao

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
My surface 2 would not charge and the battery was drained. I have it plugged in but it won't power up. Microsoft techs were no help, they told me I was out of luck because it's no longer under warranty.
Mine had same issue upon delivery. Person from Microsoft store was no help. Luckily my friend knows electronics and knew the issue. Apparently the surface 2 ships with the battery completely dead (something to do with battery health calibration). He told me to leave it plugged in overnight and it would be fine. He was right! Apparently since the battery is completely dead the charger goes into trickle charge mode for several hours then once the charge is up to like 20% it goes into normal mode. Did this and it has been perfect ever since.

JamesPTao

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
Did it work for you. Mine wouldn't power up out of box even after 30 minutes of charging but after charging overnight it works perfect and has ever since.

B Barrett

Jun 3, 2015
Visit site
I have a surface 2 given to me as it was purchased some month ago and never worked. I have tried everything including the complete updates and the holding the power button for 5 mins. (Which seems like and odd thing to do!) Nothing works. Is it now just a case of returning it to MS?
Thanks in advance

chiller76

Sep 15, 2015
Visit site
Anotsorandomname, you sir are a genius! After trying everything else I followed your instructions and it worked 1st time!
Thank a million (well, ?320 in this case)

:excited:

Last edited:

chiller76

Sep 15, 2015
Visit site
I had the same issue with surface 2. Issue was resolved by deleting battery and battery charger drivers in hardware settings and then a cold restart by holding power button in for 20 secs whilst charger was plugged in, disconnecting charger whilst still holdin down power button, then release power button and press again to boot up. Not sure if I saw this on here or another forum but my tablet charges fine now.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6