12-15-2016 05:23 PM
43 12
tools
    Guys since yesterday the touch screen is not working at all on my surface 2 , it gets powered on , the keyboard on the type cover works , everything else works just the screen has stopped registering any kind of touch input ,
    Problem is iam from India and had bought the tablet from Hong Kong so I can't replace or show it to any Microsoft store .
    Has any one faced the same issue ? If yes what was the remedy ? . Or can anyone please help me to resolve this issue I will be really grateful .
    I have been happy with this device so far , but this sudden issue has made the tablet half useable .

I have already shut down the tablet and started again even restarted it couple of times yet the problem remains the same .
    Will making the tablet go on factory settings help ?
    I will seriously from the bottom of my heart appreciate any help , guidance offered to resolve my issue .
    09-26-2014 06:32 PM
    Go to Device management> Human Interface Devices > HID compliant touch screen and disable that, then enable it and check to see if works. :)
    09-26-2014 06:52 PM
    Also try the touch calibration option and see if it starts registering touches again. Next thing to try may be a refresh. Last resort would be a full reset.
    09-30-2014 12:35 PM
    zombie post. my surface 2 stopped responding to touch as well. i use it mostly for travel and hadn't used it for several months. i charged it up yesterday for a trip next tuesday and the screen is completely unresponsive. there is still haptic feedback when touching the windows key, so it doesn't seem to be a physical issue. i refreshed and reset, but still no response. if i had to guess i'd say a forced/auto firmware load failed...it seems the only likely cause. not sure what my options are since it's about 15 months old.

update: just got off the phone with MS who told me my warranty elapsed 2.5 wks ago and my only recourse is to pay $250 for a replacement unit. ridiculous.
    Last edited by stewpeanut; 02-05-2015 at 12:45 PM.
    02-05-2015 10:49 AM
    My surface 2 touch capabilities stopped this morning too. Coincidentally it quit working this morning after an update.
    03-16-2015 09:55 AM
    Go to Device management> Human Interface Devices > HID compliant touch screen and disable that, then enable it and check to see if works. :)
    Unfortunately this did not work for me.
    03-16-2015 09:58 AM
    Same thing happened to me. Been getting by with a mouse. I tried the disable/enable thing right off. Didn't help. Pretty annoying, but I figure the thing is too old to get warranty support type help. It may have been right after an update, I remember installing another update recently.
    I was considering a Surface 3, but this kind of soured me on that idea.
    05-27-2015 12:42 PM
    Funny, it seems that the same thing happened to me. My touch screen is dead. Refreshed the device and it's still dead. I wonder if it was the latest updates that killed it. I just turned it on after one month of being unused, installed some updates and now it no longer works.
    Wonder if it was the updates or something else...
    05-27-2015 10:12 PM
    did you ever run the calibration routine? that can disable touch. and this is a saved user profile setting. so once you run the calibration routine and save the data, it will be part of your profile so even refresh won't save you because it will reload the setting when you restore your Microsoft account.

I would go back to the touch calibration and hit the reset button and see if the touch comes back.
    05-28-2015 01:47 AM
    I can't post links but there is another thread in the help section where people are complaining that their touchscreen stopped working after an update.
    06-11-2015 05:57 PM
    My Surface 2 touch screen stopped working. I didn't have it plugged in one night and I guess it tried to apply patches and the battery died in the middle of the update then the touch screen wouldn't work -- I tried everything to fix it and nothing worked.

SOLUTION: So I finally drained the Surface 2 battery by letting Netflix movies play till it died. I then took off my type cover and put the surface 2 on the charger and waited about 10 minutes. I then powered it up and to my surprise the touch screen works again :) :) :) I put the type cover back on and all is still well. I will try powering it up and down later to be sure that it is fixed. Just wanted to pass this along.
    06-14-2015 01:36 AM
    I have the same problem. It seems incredible to me that so many of these have lost the ability to be, well, a TABLET!

I may as well give the battery thing a go. My "hardware warranty" ran out a few months ago, so I can't expect help from M$.

I've done the full wipe out and restore routine, to no avail. I also believe it was due to an update of some kind (though my previous statement seems to contradict that). It worked one evening, and then I heard it ding as though it had rebooted. I knew an update had been pending. Next day it wasn't working.
    06-16-2015 04:29 PM
    I have the same problem. It seems incredible to me that so many of these have lost the ability to be, well, a TABLET!

I may as well give the battery thing a go. My "hardware warranty" ran out a few months ago, so I can't expect help from M$.

I've done the full wipe out and restore routine, to no avail. I also believe it was due to an update of some kind (though my previous statement seems to contradict that). It worked one evening, and then I heard it ding as though it had rebooted. I knew an update had been pending. Next day it wasn't working.
    I would never have believed it reading the "solution" of letting the battery die all the way.

IT WORKED. Left it unplugged until it wouldn't start up, then charged it up without the keyboard attached.

Explain THAT, Microsoft.
    06-25-2015 09:45 AM
    After Julys update, my touch screen stopped working. I have done everything to get it too work including the battery trick. I have done that twice, still not working....
    07-20-2015 03:48 PM
    Hey dude, you mentioned you have tried everything to get it to work, just wondering have you tried my updated recovery image here?;

http://forums.windowscentral.com/mic...18-2015-a.html
    07-20-2015 08:36 PM
    After Julys update, my touch screen stopped working. I have done everything to get it too work including the battery trick. I have done that twice, still not working....
    I have the same problem after july updates:( Did you manage to solve it? I will try installing recovery image from Jon4248's link..
    07-27-2015 05:51 AM
    Tried the battery trick, didn't work, tried reseting with the recovery image from Jon4248, also didn't work. Does anybody have any ideas?
    07-27-2015 03:43 PM
    well this is a strange issue, seems to not effect everyone... someone posted this ;
    My surface 2 touch screen is not working! | Microsoft Surface Forums
    I found the easiest fix ever...... go to Word. At the top of the page is an icon that looks like a hand in the position to click..... click on the hand. (It is a mouse/touch option.) Click on touch. This fixed mine. (After Microsoft took me through all their suggestions, reset, restore, recovery, $200 for a replacement.......)

I would also try booting from my recovery, going to command prompt and then doing a diskpart, select the disk and issue a clean command, and do a complete reset recreating the partitions.

Something else you can try is this;
    goto device manager, expand firmware, right click and uninstall and check delete driver software for this device for everyone under firmware. Do the same for HID-compliant touch screen, under human interface device.
    Next go to c:\windows\ delete the firmware folder.
    reboot, and then check windows update. firmware will download and reinstall, reboot.

another thing I am wondering is if using a clean IR5 image would make a difference, as the install process is a bit different, its more like a pc; http://forums.windowscentral.com/mic...all-guide.html

You can download my completed version of IR5 (EN-US) with the Surface 2 drivers in it here if you like;
    http://1drv.ms/1D5dgu9
    Last edited by Jon4248; 07-28-2015 at 08:07 AM.
    07-28-2015 04:46 AM
    My surface 2 came back to life after leaving it to drain for about a month! It was short lived though as the screen stopped working again after a week or so.
    08-04-2015 01:34 AM
    Hi,

I've been looking into this issue as I recently had the same problem with my Surface 2. The touch screen just stopped working all of a sudden. I tried everything from registry edits, driver updates to full factory reset but no go.

The only that I did differently lately was get a new laptop with Windows 8.1 and then upgraded to Windows 10. By default there's an option that syncs settings between device. Now my laptop DOES NOT have a touch screen. Could the sync between a non-touch screen device and the Surface 2 break something? I would think that a factory reset would fix this..
    08-27-2015 02:31 PM
    There's a similar thread going on in general forum: "Get Help & Give Help", the thread is titled:

Why isn't my Surface 2 Touchscreen working after update?

Also, on the MS community site, please post on the MS site so we can get some help from Microsoft, you can bing/google for this:

Surface 2 - August 2015 Automatic Updates have Broken all Touchscreen capabilities!
    09-07-2015 01:12 PM
    Draining the battery and then restarting without the keyboard attached worked for me! Thank you for posting this solution!!

Justin Oct. 8, 2015
    10-08-2015 04:26 PM
    For all those Surface 2 owners whose touchscreens stopped working after a Windows update:

I' ve suffered from this twice now in quick succession. All of Microsoft fixes didn't help.

Try THIS:

Run your battery completely flat. The way I did this was:
    to turn the power settings to never sleep when on battery,
    just leave it on until it drains,
    once it shuts down you will find when trying to power it up the screen still comes on and shows you the empty battery symbol - clearly their is still some power left in the battery for it to do this.
    So keep repeatedly push the power button to keep draining the battery until the empty battery symbol does not even show.

Then charge up your surface 2, power up and see if it fixes the touchscreen. It has worked twice for me now.
    frimar21 likes this.
    10-17-2015 12:49 PM
    l was just wondering if there is anything new on the horizon concerning the non-functioning touch screen. I really liked my unit and am sad to see it almost become a brick. Tried all of the recovers listed in this thread and nothing has worked, not even for a second.
    frimar21 likes this.
    11-05-2015 06:54 PM
    Today, after an unwanted reboot... The touch screen stopped to respond... Ok, I can see I'm in a huge family... At this stage, do we have any possibility that MS will really work on a fix?
    11-06-2015 11:33 AM
43 12