Our Surface 2's future

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
So there's been plenty of talk about our phones and Windows 10, (like are our Windows 8/8.1 phones going to get it?) but I've been wondering about our beloved RT devices, more specifically, my Surface 2 tablet... is it going to see the Win10 update? An "RT" version of 10? Or are our S2s simply going to be EOL'd? And how long can we expect updates for what we have? (Windows RT 8.1)

I'm just wondering if I should try to sell my S2 now, while it's going rate/value is still up there a little. Sell it and upgrade to an SP3? I hate the thought of selling it as I really love this tablet! It does everything I want or need it to do.. But I don't want to be stuck with an unsupported, outdated device either...

Thoughts?

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Oh it'll be supported, its whether it'll see 10 and fancy features.

There was some... discussion, about 10 and the original RT, where you have one person vehemently guaranteeing the RT will be left behind, some saying yes it will get 10, and much more people on the fence in some way.

I think we will, hinted by the mention of an ARM preview IIRC next year.

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, I guess we'll just have to wait and see. It actually seems like things are getting better, as tons of apps I've purchased on my 1520 recently are "universal apps" which I can also download and run on my Surface 2. Love these universal apps!

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Maybe once Win10 rolls out, (or our RT equivalent update) we'll finally be able to install apps to the SD card... (one downside to this device and it's 32GB storage problem)

frimar21

Nov 10, 2014
Visit site
I have seen your post on the official surface forum, but I'm not registered there ;-)
So, as one of the newest Surface 2 owners (less than 1 month, with type cover 2!) I must say that I have always suggested to avoid the RT version of surface, because of the support, of the future, and of the applications. But one day I was looking for a laptop replacement, just to read email, internet, office and nothing else, and I have found a really good deal, so here I am (and I love it!)

the future WILL be on windows 10, at least this is what Joe Belfiore has told.
My opinion is that ARM will be supported for a market share reason: as you probably have seen, a lot of low level devices are joining the WP world, cheap devices, from many vendors. some of them are also capable of producing and arm tablet, to face the android competition on that side, as well as the chrome-book competition... maybe just with w10, and the universal app, the capability of running a mobile app also on the surface or any other W10RT device (or W10 mobile or W10 for tablet....)...
crossing my fingers, this is only my hope for the future :)

Moreover because I'm also a WP user, since WindowsCE on my Compaq Ipaq, so I guess I can be considered a "******" of the mobile OS from Microsoft :-D

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
I have seen your post on the official surface forum, but I'm not registered there ;-)
So, as one of the newest Surface 2 owners (less than 1 month, with type cover 2!) I must say that I have always suggested to avoid the RT version of surface, because of the support, of the future, and of the applications. But one day I was looking for a laptop replacement, just to read email, internet, office and nothing else, and I have found a really good deal, so here I am (and I love it!)

the future WILL be on windows 10, at least this is what Joe Belfiore has told.
My opinion is that ARM will be supported for a market share reason: as you probably have seen, a lot of low level devices are joining the WP world, cheap devices, from many vendors. some of them are also capable of producing and arm tablet, to face the android competition on that side, as well as the chrome-book competition... maybe just with w10, and the universal app, the capability of running a mobile app also on the surface or any other W10RT device (or W10 mobile or W10 for tablet....)...
crossing my fingers, this is only my hope for the future :)

Moreover because I'm also a WP user, since WindowsCE on my Compaq Ipaq, so I guess I can be considered a "******" of the mobile OS from Microsoft :-D

Well welcome to the site and the forums! Also, welcome to the Surface 2 club! It's an amazing device isn't it? I love mine! A "pro" version with a fan running inside it just wouldn't be the same to me. The build quality and thin-ness of it has a certain kind of elegance to it, and I really think that RT is the perfect tablet OS. Can't wait to see what Win 10 brings to the table!

You should join up over at surfaceforums as well! There's a few of us here, that are also members over there...

WillysJeepMan

Aug 7, 2008
Visit site
Yeah, I guess we'll just have to wait and see. It actually seems like things are getting better, as tons of apps I've purchased on my 1520 recently are "universal apps" which I can also download and run on my Surface 2. Love these universal apps!
I think that the "window" (no pun intended) for selling the Surface 2 was about 5 months ago. With 5 months passed, and the holiday season sales coming, you'd be surprised at how little you would get for it. IMO, it is worth far more than what it could be sold for.

That's typically what happens to me. When I don't get rid of tech during that sweet-spot then I end up holding onto it, using it on occasion until I can give it away to someone who could use it. I'd rather give the device away than get the measly $25 or so. ($25 is just an example, I'm not claiming the Surface is only worth that now)

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
^^^Speaking of members here, that are also over there! lol thanks, yeah, I guess I should just hang onto it and maybe if I get a newer pro model, I'll give this to one of my kids.. should make a nice Christmas present! Or maybe Windows 10 (or an ARM version of it) will bring a whole new level of functionality and usefulness to it... (That's what I'm hoping anyway) only time will tell...

Cruncher04

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
Currently i assume, that Windows 10 will just be available as ARM Version to be installed on Surface 2. Joe Belfiore was hinting at a consumer preview of Windows 10 for ARM.
I could also imagine that Microsoft is working on a Surface device for 64 bit ARM architectures, as this would be a nice pipe-cleaner (and showcase) for the supposed Windows Server SKU for ARM. However there is some work to be done, as for example updating the toolchains (compiler, linker) for ARMv8 and also extend the store to accept ARMv8 apps in addtion to x86, x64 and ARM(v7).

go1020

Sep 7, 2013
Visit site
Maybe once Win10 rolls out, (or our RT equivalent update) we'll finally be able to install apps to the SD card... (one downside to this device and it's 32GB storage problem)

I'm considering Surface 2 (was waiting for 3 actually) but holding out for any holiday discounts. Why do you say 32 GB isn't enough?

JohnStrk

Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
Best Buy is having a Surface sale for Black Friday. $299 for the 32GB Surface 2. I'm planning to get one and then pick up the touch cover 2. This will be my first tablet. Looking forward to it! I might even go with the 64GB version for $400 if I can find a good enough deal on the touch cover.

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
I'm considering Surface 2 (was waiting for 3 actually) but holding out for any holiday discounts. Why do you say 32 GB isn't enough?

Well, the OS takes up half of that 32GB right off the bat, give or take a GB or two. I don't remember exactly how much I had left to start with, but it was a little more than half after I deleted the recovery and a couple stock apps that I didn't want.

Then, after installing a few apps and games, the rest of the free space fills up quickly... and you can't install any apps to the SD card (there was a trick to do it in 8, but doesn't work anymore with 8.1) as of yet. I'm hoping Windows 10 (RT) will change that. Right now, the SD card can only be used to store files, music/video/movies etc.

This isn't a big deal, as far as file storage goes, because I also have plenty of NAS and a few computers on my home network where I store everything anyway. I stream all my movies with PLEX, and access my other computers with Remote Desktop. I love the Surface 2 and would highly recommend it.. If one knows what he's doing, RT really isn't as limited as it first appears.

I would like the ability to install apps to the SD card though..

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Best Buy is having a Surface sale for Black Friday. $299 for the 32GB Surface 2. I'm planning to get one and then pick up the touch cover 2. This will be my first tablet. Looking forward to it! I might even go with the 64GB version for $400 if I can find a good enough deal on the touch cover.

Definitely try to get the 64GB model if you can.. And I have to recommend the TYPE cover 2 (I have the purple one) I tried the TOUCH, and IMHO, the backlit TYPE cover 2 is a much much better typing experience. Good luck and I'm sure you'll love it either way!

go1020

Sep 7, 2013
Visit site

Is it in-store only? Can you share the ad?

go1020

Sep 7, 2013
Visit site
^^^Speaking of members here, that are also over there! lol thanks, yeah, I guess I should just hang onto it and maybe if I get a newer pro model, I'll give this to one of my kids.. should make a nice Christmas present! Or maybe Windows 10 (or an ARM version of it) will bring a whole new level of functionality and usefulness to it... (That's what I'm hoping anyway) only time will tell...

Ah, the OS! Forgot how light weight WP is! 😊

JohnStrk

Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
Definitely try to get the 64GB model if you can.. And I have to recommend the TYPE cover 2 (I have the purple one) I tried the TOUCH, and IMHO, the backlit TYPE cover 2 is a much much better typing experience. Good luck and I'm sure you'll love it either way!

Thanks Ed. I'm going to try and get the 64GB model since they are all on sale. 32GB has never been an issue for me on my Lumia 920 but I'd rather have more space on a tablet at least until they allow installing apps to the SD card. I'm leaning towards the Type Cover 2 now after watching some review videos of both. I have not tried either of them out yet though and still need to decide on a color, then look for some sales. I'm thinking the purple might look good too.

JohnStrk

Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
Is it in-store only? Can you share the ad?

See the link to the ad below or go to Best Buy's website. I was also wondering this but I don't see anywhere that says in-store only yet. I might end up waiting in line for it anyway. I was going to buy it online but they probably won't offer an in-store pick up option on sales like this and I don't feel like waiting a week for it to be shipped.

WillysJeepMan

Aug 7, 2008
Visit site
Best Buy Black Friday Ad for Best Buy Black Friday 2014 at BFAds.net
$150 off Surface 2s, so 64gb should be $400. Also, $100-$150 off Surface Pro 3s (128gb or larger).

You can also checkout my BF thread for other deals - http://forums.windowscentral.com/ge...2137-black-friday-2014-deals.html#post2850868
Great prices on the S2 and SP3. Anyone interested in those should definitely jump on them.

Personally, I'm keeping an eye out for a $99 32GB Surface RT deal on cyber-monday.

frimar21

Nov 10, 2014
Visit site
I have had some problems in finding a type 2 cover here in Italy, but trust me, it is really the best choice!
I have tried the touch cover for few minutes, and the feelings was.. strange! I mean, it takes time to become confident with the keyboard, the feedback it is not "familiar", nor related to the traditional keyboard (of course) nor related to the touch feeling from a smartphone..
the type 2 cover is thin enough, has a fantastic feedback when you use it, and the only (imho) thing that should be revised (type 3 cover??) is the touchpad.. it is made exactly of the same material of the cover, and with no back light, so it is not easy to find the left/right buttons... in fact I tend to touch the screen instead of using the touchpad, and the keyboard to write...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos