10-21-2017 04:57 PM
124 12345
tools
    Sorry do you mean the touchscreen was functioning again rather than the keypad?
    08-27-2015 09:34 AM
    Yes, sorry. The Touch Screen is now working again...
    08-28-2015 02:54 PM
    That could be really useful for everyone on here until someone comes up with a more permanent solution. Thanks!
    08-29-2015 01:41 AM
    Here's a "me too" with some additional information.

The other day I installed updates and the touchscreen stopped working. I tried all of the various potential solutions I could find, short of resetting the device, to no avail. So I went ahead and did a reset. I thought about doing a "refresh" first, but decided to do a full reset.

After the reset, the touchscreen worked again. Nice thing is that it was able to restore a "backup" from the "cloud" so that all my apps were there (though not logged in, in the case of apps like Netflix). And, as expected, now a lot of updates were available.

The updates came in a couple of waves. After the second round of updates, well, the touchscreen stopped responding. It's pretty clear that one of these updates is the culprit. I tried uninstalling a bunch of them (though not all) to no avail. Interestingly, one of the updates (KB3021910) could not be uninstalled. This, as far as I could tell from sorting the list, was the final update installed. It may be the one that is the cause.

My next steps will be to try a reset again, and this time install updates a few at a time to see if and when it breaks again. Hopefully enough people are reporting this that Microsoft will see fit to fix it on their end, despite the fact that Windows RT is effectively a dead product now.
    08-30-2015 11:30 AM
    Keep us informed or if anyone is going through the updates now it might be worth avoiding that one and let us know how you get on. Don't think I could take the pain of doing it all for a third time
    08-30-2015 04:23 PM
    i also tried that method with my old device. after the factory reset i let it install all office updates first, second the windows updates in batches of 3-5 depending on their size.
    when it was finished everything was working fine and i deactivated the auto update functionality like described in previous posts.

didn't help. even with these settings (reg hack on RT because RT doesn't allow deactivating updates) it downloads and installs updates.

My guess, if you know the critical KB - how do you want to prevent it getting downloaded and installed?
    08-31-2015 01:51 AM
    My Mother-in-laws Surface 2 also has the same issue, she was in contact with Microsoft who appear to have walked her through a reset to no avail. The device is out of warranty so they wanted $200 to send her a refurbished device... She's now talking about buying an iPad! I'm not seeing many other threads about this but I'm pretty certain some update caused this problem.

If anyone finds a fix please post it, I will likewise do the same...

Microsoft - if you're reading please offer advice, there's enough data here to suggest this is not a hardware failure (esp given this device is very cared for).
    08-31-2015 10:49 AM
    Battery drain no longer appears to be doing the trick for me meaning I am left with just the keyboard and trackpad. This is really annoying when there is so much certainty that this is indeed a software issue and not a hardware one.
    08-31-2015 05:11 PM
    I did a reset this evening using a recovery usb, touch screen still does not work. I've not tried the battery burn down routine yet, with three young children I can't afford to be doing this. Microsoft - please step up.
    08-31-2015 07:22 PM
    i just reported it to the surface Team on Facebook. They seem to be responding pretty direct to users. Maybe it can be escalated if many many users report it on the surface Facebook page.
    09-01-2015 02:33 AM
    I don't do Facebook otherwise I'd be happy to post something, I was in contact with MS last night and they have put me in contact with customer care, lets see where that goes...
    09-01-2015 10:25 AM
    Thanks for the tip. I just messaged the Surface Team (I think) on Facebook, with a link to this thread too. We'll see if I get a response. Just search for Microsoft Surface in Facebook and that will get you the same page.

Edit: Surface Team on Facebook just asked that I post this issue in the MS community forum which I did, so not much help.
    Last edited by Gaucho90; 09-03-2015 at 05:17 PM.
    09-01-2015 05:38 PM
    Well I am out of luck. After numerous reset, refresh, reinstall, it just will not work. Except for one time after a battery drain sequence and reset it worked for a little while, until another update ran. Microsoft Support Team finally requested the Microsoft Care Team to extend my warrantee and replace, so I was very excited. But then the Care Team came back a few days later and said no, my surface is out of warranty so no replacement.

So an automatic software update broke my surface, and Microsoft's official final response for me to purchase an upgrade. Much like the crypto locker virus approach.

And Microsoft does not care about it at all. I have been such a good Microsoft customer over the years, and even invested in multiple versions of Windows Phone. All just to have Microsoft take a crap on my surface and then tell me to go away.

Well, good bye, and good luck with your surfaces!
    09-03-2015 06:27 PM
    I don't know how they can still be claiming that this is a hardware issue? This is clearly a software issue and it would seem caused by an update pushed by MS which we had no choice in... I do think despite there being a good few posts here with the same issue at the same time that this in reality seems quite isolated compared to the number of devices out there so unless there are more users come out of the wood work I can't see us getting anywhere with MS in terms of acknowledging this is their fault through software issues. For the most part everyone seems to be out of warranty so I am wondering if this was an issue with earlier models only?
    09-04-2015 01:31 AM
    I called support (the netherlands) and microsoft told me this is a know issue with some of the surface 2 models. The problem
    appeared after an microsoft update. I`ve called them twice, but there will be a fix in abount 2 to 3 weeks. I called two weeks ago, and last week also again.

The only thing the support people can tell you is: yes i understand, but i cant tell you when the fix will be there, we can only ask for patience.

We have to wait and see, i was glad to hear that it is caused by an update instead of a broken touchscreen.
    09-04-2015 02:46 PM
    I don't get it, because I have been talking with Microsoft Support since June of 2015 up until this week and they never mentioned to me that it is a known issue with a fix in the works. That would be good news! I have been using the chat form to interact with Microsoft Support.
    09-04-2015 06:40 PM
    I called support again and they don't know about any update coming up to fix this. But they did point me to the legal dispute form I can file which at this point has become comical - for example step 3 in the dispute process:

3. Mail a copy of the completed Demand for Arbitration form and your check or money order for $200 to American Arbitration Association, Case Filing Services, 1101 Laurel Oak Road, Suite 100, Voorhees, NJ 08043. Make your check or money order payable to American Arbitration
    09-04-2015 07:18 PM
    Thanks for the tip. I just messaged the Surface Team (I think) on Facebook, with a link to this thread too. We'll see if I get a response. Just search for Microsoft Surface in Facebook and that will get you the same page.

Edit: Surface Team on Facebook just asked that I post this issue in the MS community forum which I did, so not much help.
    Can you post a link, I'd like to add a comment.
    09-05-2015 08:40 AM
    I called support (the netherlands) and microsoft told me this is a know issue with some of the surface 2 models. The problem
    appeared after an microsoft update. I`ve called them twice, but there will be a fix in abount 2 to 3 weeks. I called two weeks ago, and last week also again.

The only thing the support people can tell you is: yes i understand, but i cant tell you when the fix will be there, we can only ask for patience.

We have to wait and see, i was glad to hear that it is caused by an update instead of a broken touchscreen.
    I don't suppose you could ask them for an error number next time you talk to them? I assume companies like Microsoft have databases which hold things like known errors with references and that way we can all confirms with them that our issue relates to that error and hopefully add some weight to the need for a fix
    09-06-2015 01:05 AM
    It appears posting on the MS Community site is required to get MS' attention, I have done so but can't post a link yet (not had 10 posts!). Searching for this may help find the thread (it was the first hit in bing for me), if people can add comments we might start getting some help:

Surface 2 - August 2015 Automatic Updates have Broken all Touchscreen capabilities!
    09-06-2015 08:44 AM
    I have a surface pro 3 (day one device). After the windows 10 upgrade and some updates at the end of August my touchscreen started only working after restarting the tablet. Then after about 3 days nothing would fix it. Keep in mind of course warranty is 2 months expired. MS only fix for me is like $350 for a refurbished one with a 90 day warranty. I have tried everything from the USB method beyond. I noticed my touchscreen driver has disappeared anyone else notice this? I would guess hardware, except the timing and fact others seem to have same issue makes me wonder otherwise. Being the broke college student I am I am definitely regretting spending all my graduation money on a sp3. A $1200 device should last more than 14 months.
    09-07-2015 12:22 AM
    http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/s...c-afbcb7b81361

i replied to the MS Community Thread (link above)

ref. to LongTrail's post
    09-07-2015 01:24 AM
    So now my device is randomly working again do we think that preventing windows updates will keep it that way or is that not possible?
    09-07-2015 08:09 AM
    Thanks for posting, I coudn't do it here. That is the thread I started.
    09-07-2015 12:20 PM
    in response to StephaAa:

Thank you :-)

I'm finding other threads so this issue is starting to gain momentum! I'd like a fix and get the egg off my face with my mother-in-law!
    09-07-2015 01:08 PM
124 12345