Why isn't my Surface 2 Touchscreen working after update?

• Thread starter WPCentral Question
  • Start date

jtby

Jul 24, 2015
Visit site
Yes I tried a reset, with no luck. You're right, and I can't really believe its something nefarious on MS's side to sell more surfaces. But I am frustrated that a windows update hosed up my surface and there is no fix. Its not the first time either. When I first got my surface everything was great out of the box, until I performed a windows update - then the screen went crazy bad became pixilated and filled with gibberish. Microsoft told me it was a hardware problem, but a few days later a windows update fixed it.

jtby

Jul 24, 2015
Visit site
Re registry see colacious post above. But good news for me after several refreshes and resets and bleeding the battery, still did not work, so left it sit with dead battery for 2 days, connected to power with type cover off, started it up, it installed some updates and now the touch screen works again!?

John Arnett

Jul 29, 2015
Visit site
Like everyone else in this thread: my touch screen stopped working after the updates pushed on 7/25/2015. I did what everyone else did - bleed the battery, did a refresh, then did a rebuild. None of which worked. I can't believe MS expects existing Users of the Surface to remain loyal and keep using a device that won't work. There has got to be a simple fix to this.

MS - PLEASE HELP US!!!!!:

Gary Powell3

Aug 1, 2015
Visit site
I had the same problem for two months; even reset the surface to no avail. Then I found and downloaded the Surface 2 Recovery USB and reset it following their instructions. Everything is back to working now.

How to start Surface using your USB recovery drive
To start your Surface from your USB recovery drive:

Step 1: Make sure your Surface is turned off and plugged in.
Step 2: Insert your USB recovery drive into the USB port on your Surface.
Step 3: Press and hold the volume-down button while you press and release the power button on your Surface.
Step 4: When the Surface logo appears, release the volume button.
Step 5: Follow the on-screen instructions, such as selecting the language and keyboard layout, to enter the recovery tools menu.

Note: You can also use the Surface USB recovery drive if Windows prompts for installation files when trying to refresh or reset from the Recovery menu under Settings > Change PC settings > Update and recovery > Recovery. When the prompt pops up, insert the recovery drive into the USB port on your Surface.

How to reset Surface using your USB recovery drive
Important - A reset returns Surface to its factory settings.

Notes:
?Resetting your Surface will delete all of your personal files, reset your settings, and remove all apps that you installed.
?Make sure that you have access to the product keys and installation files for any desktop apps (for example, Microsoft Office) that you plan to reinstall after the reset. This includes desktop apps you installed from websites, discs, or USB drives.

To reset your Surface from a USB recovery drive:

Step 1: Make sure your Surface is turned off and plugged in.
Step 2: Insert the USB recovery drive into the USB port on your Surface.
Step 3: Press and hold the volume-down button while you press and release the power button on your Surface.
Step 4: When the Surface logo appears, release the volume button.
Step 5: When prompted, select the language and keyboard layout you want.
Step 6: Tap or click Troubleshoot, and tap or click Reset your PC.
Step 7: If prompted for a recovery key, tap or click Skip this drive at the bottom of the screen.
Step 8: Tap or click the target operating system you wish to reset. This refers to the current operating system installed on your Surface.
Step 9: Tap or click Yes, repartition the drives, and on the next page, tap or click Next.
Step 10: Choose either Just remove my files or Fully clean the drive.

The option to clean the drive is more secure but takes much longer. For example, if you are recycling your Surface, you should choose to clean the drive. If you are keeping your Surface, you just need to remove your files.

Step 11: Tap or click Reset.

Surface restarts and the Surface logo displays while the reset process continues (this can take several minutes).

jtby

Jul 24, 2015
Visit site
Well things were going so well. Then another update installed yesterday, and guess what? The update broke my touch screen again. I am very frustrated that Microsoft says this is a hardware problem, when clearly it can work fine until a damn windows update installs. This time I guess I will just turn windows update off.

StephaAa

Jul 18, 2015
Visit site
Magic monday. I did a full Factory reset and this Morning after 75 Updates it is finally touchy again.... fort safety Sake i now have disabled the Automatic Updates for rt using this small reg hack:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr ent Version\Windows Update\Auto Update
AUOptions from 4 to 0

I am now up to KB 2919355. This is requested to be installed next but i am not going to ...

Last edited:

StephaAa

Jul 18, 2015
Visit site
GREAT.even with auto updates disabled my device tried to install Update f?r Windows RT 8.1 (KB3063843) what failed to install.
than it shut down unexpected according to event log.

this morning.... no touch functionality again.... i have no words

Rasetech

Jan 31, 2014
Visit site
It seems that I have the same problem! Need to check if any updates where installed yesterday, because it touch stopped working yesterday afternoon for me.

StephaAa

Jul 18, 2015
Visit site
i finally requested a new device through advanced exchange. i'll receive it in the next days so i'll keep you posted if i have the same issues again.

Gaucho90

Aug 12, 2015
Visit site
After auto window updates on 8/12/15, my Surface 2 also just lost all touchscreen ability. Tried the following, none of them worked:
* disable HID Touchscreen, and then re-enable
* uninstall HID Tourchsreen driver, and reboot which reinstalls the driver
* Open MS Word, activate and deactivate Touch control
* System Refresh
* Rebooting, then folding keyboard up and down after the screen appears (edited)
* Hard Reset
* Battery drain trick did not work for me (edited)
Edit:
* Full factory reset from downloaded Win RT 8.1 Recovery image also failed. Out of options...

Last edited:

Westie59

Aug 13, 2015
Visit site
I've had the same problem several times. Here's how I got the touchscreen to work:

1. Reboot the Surface 2
2. When you get to the photo screen after the reboot, close the keyboard. By this I mean that the keyboard should be attached when you reboot, but when you get to the photo screen, fold the keyboard up against the touchscreen and then un-fold it while it is still attached.
3. When you open the keyboard, the touchscreen will work!

I hope this works!

Gaucho90

Aug 12, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for the tip, but this did not work for me either. Edited my post to reflect this tip; next is a full factory reset from USB...

StephaAa

Jul 18, 2015
Visit site
i have no idea. MS will get my device back in the next days but i don't believe that information from returned devices influences development of patches or updates. but i could be wrong.

I received my exchange device within days - great service so far. It looks brand new and came without anything. Just the device.
You are instructed to send back your device for service, using the same packaging and you get a paid return sticker for UPS.

The new tablet works just fine. I let it update all the way up to the newest KB releases. It does not show any "error event ID 264" anymore.
Lets see what happens.

BTW.
Anyone of you with the same problem
-do you experience Event 264 in the event log?
-do you use attached keyboard, type cover or the other one (soft cover or so)?
-do you regularly use headphone jack?

Rasetech

Jan 31, 2014
Visit site
Hi, I also requested an exchange today and will bring my Surface to the UPS store later today. The MS service stuff was very friendly.

James BT

Aug 15, 2015
Visit site
Having not used my Surface for about a week I picked it up yesterday and discovered that the touch screen wasn't responding. I may well have had a recent software upgrade, I seem to get them all the time, but there is no way that the product has been damaged as it stays on the desk at home! Sounds like I'm another victim of this issue.

jtby

Jul 24, 2015
Visit site
Full restore from USB drive did not work for me. I am still stuck with no touch screen. Since I am past the warranty date, MS said I have to buy a new surface. Or has that policy changed?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos