Why isn't my Surface 2 Touchscreen working after update?

• Thread starter WPCentral Question
  • Start date
W

WPCentral Question

My Surface 2 touch screen is not working after windows auto update. (and surely no physical damage). I have followed the steps mentioned in the following URLs -
troubleshoot-the-surface-touchscreen
and after that performed complete reset as mention in /refresh-or-reset-surface

However the touch screen is still not working.

Windows is completely updated.
I have uninstalled both the firmware related to touch screen and they were auto installed again
Touch Screen Calibration "Reset" option is disabled.

I was in touch with "Answer Desk" but they could not resolve this.

Any clue what should be fix of this SW update problem?

Steve_Hansen

Dec 3, 2014
Visit site
You're not alone on this one. My Surface 2 did exactly the same thing. Yesterday morning, the touchscreen stopped working after an auto-update done during the night before. I've followed the same steps including the refresh and the complete wipe and my touchscreen is still not working. Hopefully somebody out there knows how to fix it!

colacious

Dec 20, 2014
Visit site
This has happened to my machine with each new update since early Fall. The so-called "Microsoft certified" steps have never worked - it is only by a random ritual of adjusting the screen resolution, editing the registry, and restarting the machine that it eventually resumes normal functioning. Until the next update, that is. Updates are supposed to *improve* functionality, not negate it!

JMartino66

Mar 12, 2015
Visit site
Were you able to get your touch screen working again? The same problem just happened to me. My Surface 2 told me that it need to update and restart. The next time I tried to use my Surface 2 the screen would not respond to touch in any way. I even went to the extreme of resetting the Surface 2 back to factory settings. Microsoft has given me the options to send it back and pay $200 for a new replacement since my warranty expired (which was only a month ago).

Any assistance in getting my touch screen working again would be greatly appreciated.

Sayaka Sato

Mar 17, 2015
Visit site
My surface2 is also having exactly the same issue and tech support is unhelpful just telling me to pay 20k yen for repair survice.
It is happening all over the world on surface2 and I cant understand why microsoft wont do anything for this.
Should we wait for another updates? or Could some of you found any solution?
Cant stop my frustration.
I've done resetting and updating for several times, but still doesnt work.
Any advice is welcome to make my touchpanel works!
Thankyou.:cry:

Billyfu

Mar 18, 2015
Visit site
My Surface 2 has done this with almost every update. I have followed the troubleshooting, resetting, refreshing, reinstalling and just about every reset option to no avail.

However! I did find that if you let the battery go flat (really flat, like a two or three days flat with occasional attempts to start it with no power lead in) it will sometimes start up and work normally when you eventually plug it in to the power. Sometimes.

Microsoft couldn't compete with Apple on the tablet front when the first Surface was released, did big discounts on it and then released Surface 2 with far more success. They just seem to have let themselves down again after all that good work!

It must be a simple fix but it seems no-one at MS can even be bothered to look at it.

Kurt Jansen

Apr 30, 2015
Visit site
At this point there have been enough stories here. I'll just add that my experience is identical. Touchscreen stops working overnight after automatic update, function is restored with complete factory reset, lost again with next automatic update. Microsoft tech support a useless waste of time.

My warrantee also expired 3 weeks prior to this issue arising. Wonder if this is planned obsolescence? :/

Lance Yarbrough

May 12, 2015
Visit site
Just happened to my wife's Surface 2 after the auto update in mid April. We ran it for a few weeks thinking it was just a driver issue. I spent the last few hours resetting the entire Surface... no luck! Can't believe MicroSoft is going to let this go on. I love this little guy. I don't know what else to do as everything is fully updated and the system is a clean reset. Still the touchscreen has no response.

Stanleywinston

May 31, 2015
Visit site
Happened to my wife's a couple of months ago. Surface 2 was a week outside warranty when it happened. Microsoft were apologetic but ultimately unhelpful (unless offering to swap it for a reconditioned one for over ?200+taxes is helpful). Has anyone actually successfully fixed the issue? I've tried draining the battery completely for days and resetting completely

Raymond Loscar

Jun 13, 2015
Visit site
My Surface 2 touch screen stopped working. I didn't have it plugged in one night and I guess it tried to apply patches and the battery died in the middle of the update then the touch screen wouldn't work -- I tried everything to fix it and nothing worked. So I finally drained the Surface 2 battery by letting Netflix movies play till it died. I then took off my type cover and put the surface 2 on the charger and waited about 10 minutes. I then powered it up and to my surprise the touch screen works again :) :) :) I put the type cover back on and all is still well. I will try powering it up and down later to be sure that it is fixed. Just wanted to pass this along.

Binson#WP

Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
This happened to me earlier this week after an update as you all mentioned. I've tried letting the power run out and turning it "on" to see the no battery screen for several days. I started it up today and still, no luck. The touchscreen is unresponsive.

StephaAa

Jul 18, 2015
Visit site
same here. touchscreen stopped being responsive over night. Windows Button is working and the feedback vibration is also there.

i am trying the "kill the battery Trick" right now and will see if it works.

WPdaDon

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site
Did the dead batter trick work for you? My touchscreen stopped working a few days ago and I tried everything under the sun to get it to work with no luck.

StephaAa

Jul 18, 2015
Visit site
i let i bleed out once, then charged it 30m but that didn't help.
but the surface was still showing the empty battery sign on the display while trying to start it. so there still must have been some rest energy. i am not even sure if it is possible to kill it 100%...
i let i rest for about 3 days know and tonight i will charge it a bit and restart it.

but after the last try i am not very optimistic.

I also tried to delete drivers of the touchscreen and firmware of the device to force it redownloading those...even that had no impact.

actually i am a bit sad about that wonderful device and looking forward to claim it at MS because i still have warranty.
Its just sad cause i love the surface and i still can't understand why MS is so in trouble selling the units - same with the Lumias.

StephaAa

Jul 18, 2015
Visit site
killing battery didn't work. but i have a new trace to the cause. in my system events is an error appearing daily.
it is in german :"Von einem Mehrfingereingabeger?t wurden inkonsistente Kontaktinformationen gemeldet."

a multitouch device registers inconsistent contactinformation.

i googled the german error and found one lucky guy who had the same on his device (not surface) but it disappeared with win 8.1 update....

can anyone confirm to have the same error in the event log?

Edit:
i can't post links but if you Google error id 264 you can find the same problem multiple times on various win 8.1 devices. looks like a Firmware issue

Last edited:

jtby

Jul 24, 2015
Visit site
I have the same problem. Windows update ran automatically, and today my Touchscreen is useless. Tried everything including MS support, and still not working. I hope the only fix is not to spend $200 for a replacement. Because there are other software out there that run automatically, and break or hold hostage your computer until you pay for a fix. While I would expect that from them, I would not expect it from Microsoft.

jtby

Jul 24, 2015
Visit site
Well my support case with MS is now closed, and Microsoft says its hardware problem. Remedy is to replace with a new surface for $350 - although they stated they could also sell me a more expensive upgrade. This does not sit right with me. My surface sits on my kitchen counter and everything is great. One day a Microsoft windows update automatically runs, and then the touch screen no longer works. I call Microsoft, and no problem I can fix it just by paying Microsoft $350. Is that even legal? Don't the crypto locker virus guys do the same thing? I can't imagine buying another surface after this experience.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Have you reset the tablet? (factory condition reset)

I'd still say its just bad luck since the sort of thing is in actuality a stupid business decision.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
graceevans