Windows 10 on Surface 2

bdball

Jan 6, 2013
Visit site
Now that we know that we will get a Windows 10 update on the Surface 2, what do you think it will be like. Will the Office Package we currently have go away? I have to say that I am really excited by the fact that I will be able to upgrade to 10. I think the amount of available apps will go up quite a bit. :smile:

JohnStrk

Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
Yeah this is what I'm hoping for. More apps for my Surface 2! Also hoping that the Windows 10 update takes up less space and allows for apps to be installed to the SD card.

msirapian

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
I have mixed feelings. Today, what Microsoft have shown wasn't really a presentation of W10 for mobile, but rather, an illustration to demonstrate the mobility concept. I mean, they needed to show a bit of outlook/calendar etc. on both smartphones and PC to convince future users (and it was good).

But. Everytime they mentioned W10 for phones, they added "and small tablets". Now, my Surface 2 is certainly NOT a small tablet. To my eyes, it's more a 2-in-1 (with the type cover) rather than a "small tablet".

So I do hope we get continuum too (to preserve our "destkop" experience for Outlook/Office), with a possibility to switch to Office Touch when disconnecting the type cover.

But if the update brings us a "glorified Lumia 1520" version, I'm gutted.

And as they just said, in Q&A

"Q: Will Windows RT be part of the Windows 10 upgrade? A: We're working on an update, but haven't worked out all the details yet."

it could also mean they're working on a 8.2 version, ? la Windows 10, to offer us a simili-W10 experience.

To put in it a nutshell, I'm really worried about the future of my Surface 2, specially Outlook/Office-wise :|

Nickkk101

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
I noticed earlier when you log onto the Insider program webpage as a registered Insider on the Surface 2, you see a banner message that reads "The Windows 10 Technical Preview and Windows 10 Technical Preview for phones are almost ready. Please check back." Am I right in thinking that everyone today sees the same message across all versions because its not yet been released or it this hinting at the upcoming phone/ARM 'compatibility' with my ARM device? Can the website tell what device I am accessing their Insider pages on? The vagueness of the comments from TM and SN make me slightly nervous as to the supposed upgrade path. Am I being overly pessimistic?

Gergolos

Apr 2, 2012
Visit site

Exactly my thoughts.
I would be pretty angry if a 8" tablet would have more 2-in-1 features than my Surface with its 10" full-hd display, an USB 3.0 and mini HDMI port and, of course, the Type Cover...

The video showing Joe using the continuum shows him using the 8" tablet and talking about the great tablet experience and - if connected to a mouse/keyboard - the ability to use the tablet as a pc on a bigger screen. Well... in that case: which UI is it going to be then, when a keyboard or a mouse is being attached to a tablet? I really need the file/windows explorer, mouse friendly browser and mouse/keyboard friendly office. Other than that, as already written in different threads, the huge amount of options and settings dealing with network drives, folders and so on...

If they give us all of that: I will love my Surface 2 even more... if they are going to basically kill some features my Surface already has/had, I will be more tha angry for sure...

LLPO

Nov 18, 2014
Visit site
It does seem possible that RT will become more like WP... if it were only the excellent UI and app integration, that would be okay... Not if they dumb everything down and remove the desktop...

chipeast

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
"*It is our intent that most of these devices will qualify, but some hardware/software requirements apply and feature availability may vary by device. Devices must be connected to the internet and have Windows Update enabled. ISP fees may apply. Windows 7 SP1 and Windows 8.1 Update required. Some editions are excluded: Windows 7 Enterprise, Windows 8/8.1 Enterprise, and Windows RT/RT 8.1. Active Software Assurance customers in volume licensing have the benefit to upgrade to Windows 10 Enterprise outside of this offer. We will be sharing more information and additional offer terms in coming months."

Looks to me like it is not in the upgrade path, or that it's not free. :eck:

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
No one's forcing anybody to upgrade. I'm one of those who wants to keep the desktop and even though devices with displays larger than 8" will keep the "desktop experience", I'm not 100% sold. I'll stay at 8.1 as long as I can.

Gustavo Sanchez

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
I think I will be getting a desktop-style experience for my Lumia 2520. It simply does not make sense to use a WP-type interface for a 10" tablet. Let's just wait for the final release and see what we will get. In any case, my 2520 was cheap enough for me (got it on closeout for $100 new). It has served me well and will continue to do so with whatever OS we end up getting.

iampwd

Jun 22, 2013
Visit site
So it looks like Windows RT is dead after all? I really didn't think this would happen. Are we becoming the new Windows phone 7.8? :(

msirapian

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
I noticed earlier when you log onto the Insider program webpage as a registered Insider on the Surface 2, you see a banner message that reads "The Windows 10 Technical Preview and Windows 10 Technical Preview for phones are almost ready. Please check back." Am I right in thinking that everyone today sees the same message across all versions because its not yet been released or it this hinting at the upcoming phone/ARM 'compatibility' with my ARM device? Can the website tell what device I am accessing their Insider pages on? The vagueness of the comments from TM and SN make me slightly nervous as to the supposed upgrade path. Am I being overly pessimistic?

Same message even when using Linux :)

Nickkk101

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
Same message even when using Linux :)
ha! Right. I thought it was a generic phrase to cover all those looking at the insider program pages currently. I'm really disappointed to read the small print pull out quotes above that RT is not part of the upgrade path for win 10. Considering my 920 will get a version of 10 then... Why not? However, I bought RT knowing it wasn't full windows, and in some situations consider that not to be a limitation, so I can understand there not being a 'full 10' coming to the S2/rt. The absolute absense of ARM mentions in the keynote was of course not coincidence it seems lol. I hope whatever we get, is a substantial upgrade especially given the similarities between an s2 and an s3 in terms of overall user experience-tablet mode/continuum for instance. Lots of conflicting messages out there. Particularly if you heard the exchange between Mary Jo Foley and Paul Thurrott on Windows Weekly.

cont: I wanted to add that I'm curious that the mention in that small print about windows RT/8.1RT NOT being eligible for win10, may just be for the sake of defining the upgrade path today-during the current public reveal. They know RT's future would be too big a question to leave out of the small print definition at this point. I'm wondering that because full win10 isn't coming to ARM (I never thought it was given what RT is today), doesn't mean we wont get 'anything'... I think in retrospect its a fair distinction to those who have a Surface today. You can take it two ways.

Last edited by a moderator:

msirapian

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
Wait and see mate. As long as we don't have regression, limited update may be OK if it doesn't impact productivity (office and outlook).

And again, yesterday's show WASN'T about WP10, W10 for mobile etc.but more a demonstration of how your work flows between devices. Evn what was presented on phones wasn't finalised, so we need another event, more focused on Windows 10 for phones and tablets, to understand if our surfaces2 are the new WP7.8 or not.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Quickly, did anyone buy their Surface 2 based on future updates or for what it could do today? This talk of WP7.8 is nonsense. The original Surface wasn't selling well so it's not like there was a promising future.
Sent from my big *** Lumia 1520

acerace113

Sep 6, 2014
Visit site
"*It is our intent that most of these devices will qualify, but some hardware/software requirements apply and feature availability may vary by device. Devices must be connected to the internet and have Windows Update enabled. ISP fees may apply. Windows 7 SP1 and Windows 8.1 Update required. Some editions are excluded: Windows 7 Enterprise, Windows 8/8.1 Enterprise, and Windows RT/RT 8.1. Active Software Assurance customers in volume licensing have the benefit to upgrade to Windows 10 Enterprise outside of this offer. We will be sharing more information and additional offer terms in coming months."

Looks to me like it is not in the upgrade path, or that it's not free. :eck:

To me it sound like it won't be a free upgrade for the Surface 2.

I hope that windows 10 on the surface 2 will be similar to the surface pro's but the difference being only the built-in apps can be windowed while App Store apps that have not been update for windows 10 will be in full screen only but apps updated for windows 10 can be windowed depending on how the app is developed.

Sent from my jailbroken 5th gen iPod touch or iPhone 5S or Surface 2 using Tapatalk

msirapian

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
To me it sounds nobody, including MS, knows sh*t about the upcoming update ^_^

Sounds more and more they'll bring "something" to the Surface 2 (and maybe RT), but not sure the non MS products (including Lumia 2520) will be upgraded.

Again, as long as nothing is broken by the update or the lack of update, not a problem for me; I'm not looking forward for updates just for the sake of updating a system.

Cruncher04

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
I would be pretty angry if a 8" tablet would have more 2-in-1 features than my Surface with its 10" full-hd display, an USB 3.0 and mini HDMI port and, of course, the Type Cover...

Nonsense. Windows 8.1 RT today has much more features than Windows 10 mobile will ever have. Do you honestly believe Windows 10 mobile will suddenly get multi-monitor support, file system support, printer support, file sharing support, (Xbox) controller support, USB host support, scripting support, flash support etc?

So as long as we are not getting Windows 10 mobile but rather a version of Windows 10, everything is fine.

Nickkk101

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
Quickly, did anyone buy their Surface 2 based on future updates or for what it could do today? This talk of WP7.8 is nonsense. The original Surface wasn't selling well so it's not like there was a promising future.
Sent from my big *** Lumia 1520

I think this is a good point, even if its uncomfortable reading. I bought my S2 at full RRP at launch and to be honest, it still does exactly what I wanted it to do today, as it did the day I got it. Great screen, very portable, great battery and I can write the odd document on it. Still great then, still great today. Any update will be a bonus as far i'm concerned. Although it wasn't my intention, its now my main device and I still love it.

WillysJeepMan

Aug 7, 2008
Visit site
Wait and see mate. As long as we don't have regression, limited update may be OK if it doesn't impact productivity (office and outlook).

And again, yesterday's show WASN'T about WP10, W10 for mobile etc.but more a demonstration of how your work flows between devices. Evn what was presented on phones wasn't finalised, so we need another event, more focused on Windows 10 for phones and tablets, to understand if our surfaces2 are the new WP7.8 or not.
All of the tech blogs are reporting that Windows 10 isn't coming to ARM-based Surface tablets.

Here's just one link:
Surface RT Devices Won't Get Windows 10 - Slashdot

Some of the functionality of 10 will be delivered to those devices but they aren't getting Windows 10. I highly doubt that Microsoft would release a partial Windows 10 update to the Surface RT/2 and call it "Windows 10". More than likely it will be some kind of update specific to Windows RT 8.1.

What that means to owners of the Surface RT/2 is a separate matter. As long as the underlying APIs for Modern UI apps are updated to the Windows 10 level, then new apps will be supported on the RT/2.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb