Windows 10 on Surface 2

Jason Gilbert

Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Well, since we're getting some but not all of the W10 features, and since it appears that they haven't really decided what to do with Windows RT, I'm hoping that there is some room for user input at this stage of the game. So here's my (hopefully realistic) wishlist for the kinda-sort-not-quite-W10 update for my Surface 2:

1. Ability to run all of the universal apps, particularly the new universal messaging and photo apps (Probably music, too, though I am perfectly happy with Spotify. Which sucks on the Surface, but that's not a Microsoft issue.) I assume we will get this (since they're just apps), but I'll put my request in just in case. Really, if it will run on my phone, it should run on my Surface.

2. The new Office touch apps as a free upgrade. Maybe I'll like them more than the desktop versions, maybe not, but I'd like to be able to choose. And again, it's an app that runs on phones.

2a. Even if I don't get the new touch version of Office, I really, really want Office Lens for RT. I love it on the phone, and use it all the time. (Actually, what I really want is Office lens built directly into my optical nerve, but I realize that's unlikely. I'll settle for it on the Surface.)

3. Keep the desktop. I'd be willing to give it up for the mobile version of W10, but since I'm not getting that I'd like to have the desktop as a consolation prize.

4. Spartan, even if it's just an expanded version of the new phone browser. One of the few frustrations of the Surface is that the browser on my Lumia 830 is often better than the touch browser on the Surface.

4a. The one feature that I definitely want to see from Spartan is a resolution to the most annoying problem in the current Surface browser: PRINT TO PDF!! No more of this XPS bull****. XPS=Betamax; everyone uses PDF, we should, too.

5. A version of the movable on-screen keyboard that will be used on phones, including the little trackdot thingy.

6. Better OneDrive integration with email and the browser. Moving things in and out of OneDrive should be as easy as it is with Google Drive and Chrome.

So there's my wishlist. My fingers are crossed, I'll check back some time in November.

Tyler Jeffries

Jun 3, 2015
Visit site
Just to let you guys know, there is NOT a Windows 10 update for Windows 8.1 RT. Which is what the Surface 2 (RT) uses. I contacted Microsoft yesterday and they confirmed this. The best us Surface 2 users can hope for is a dummies down version of the Windows 10. Or upgrade to the Surface 3

Nagoyablue

Jan 13, 2015
Visit site
But some features of W10 will come to windows RT users.

As long as we get the ability to run universal apps, and the new core apps (photo, music, video, mail etc) it should be OK.

etphoto

Aug 15, 2007
Visit site
But some features of W10 will come to windows RT users.

As long as we get the ability to run universal apps, and the new core apps (photo, music, video, mail etc) it should be OK.

Never thought about it but I'm not sure universal apps and RT will not go together.

Last edited:

Nagoyablue

Jan 13, 2015
Visit site
Never thought about it but I'm not sure universal apps and RT will go together.

The way I understand is that when a developer makes a current universal app, they basically press a button, and a WP 8.1, Arm and full windows version are produced.

As long as we get the API updated for W10 apps, then there should be no problem running universal W10 apps on a RT machine. If a phone can run them, a surface 2 can.

etphoto

Aug 15, 2007
Visit site
MS is quietly forgetting about the few hundred RT users out there and putting everything in their Windows 10 bucket. I use my Surface 2 daily and really don't mind. They tried, it didn't work.

fdruid

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
Still, there's that leaked screen of an ARM device running Windows 10. There's hope. Also, did anyone notice that RT based Surfaces got the KB3035583 update too?

WereRat

Jul 16, 2013
Visit site
September is not bad at all. "Bad" to me would be 2016 or never; obviously nobody is going to deploy a new Win8/RT style app. That said, many apps refactored as universal apps have already popped into the RT space, but I could see that dwindling rapidly as it's another item to test for any busy shop.

Kiba85

May 28, 2014
Visit site
After recent rumors about the Windows RT update, I created a suggestion on Uservoice, asking for an optional upgrade path from Windows RT to Windows 10 Mobile. This way people could choose on their own if they want to stay with Windows RT or upgrade to W10 Mobile to take advantage of universal apps, while losing some features like multiuser and full Office. Please vote if you agree, even if the chances are little I think it's worth a try. Thanks!
https://windows.uservoice.com/forum...r-an-optional-upgrade-path-from-windows-rt-to

Cruncher04

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
Currently i am quite happy. After half a day with Windows 10 on my Surface Pro 3 i went back to Windows 8.1 and not looking back. They flat out removed all the innovations they introduced with Windows 8 for tablet user. Windows 10 is now a big mess between modern UI and desktop UI.

WillysJeepMan

Aug 7, 2008
Visit site
Currently i am quite happy. After half a day with Windows 10 on my Surface Pro 3 i went back to Windows 8.1 and not looking back. They flat out removed all the innovations they introduced with Windows 8 for tablet user. Windows 10 is now a big mess between modern UI and desktop UI.
That's what I'm hearing from other SP3 users as well. It's as if Microsoft "over-corrected" from being too tablet-centric with Win 8.

bdball

Jan 6, 2013
Visit site
@WillysJeepMan Are you the same person that use to post at Mobileread? If so, what are you using for eReading now? I'm still rocking a Nook Color although sometimes still use an iPad.

WillysJeepMan

Aug 7, 2008
Visit site
@WillysJeepMan Are you the same person that use to post at Mobileread? If so, what are you using for eReading now? I'm still rocking a Nook Color although sometimes still use an iPad.
One and the same. :)

As for ereading... Primarily I use my Kobo Touch. If not that, then Nook HD, Kindle Fire HD... or the Nook app on my Android and iOS devices.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)