Hoping it's not true that Surface 2 won't get W10.

aliencatos

Dec 12, 2010
Visit site
MS said windows 10 will work on ALL device and now it will not work on there own tablet... WITH... this is a very poor decision on their part...

I really like my surface 2, the size is good, the 16:9 aspect ratio is the best for tv show and games... but it will be stock on windows 8.1 or 8.2 maybe...

this don't make any sense to me...

I hope they change their mind or that info was wrong... but wood be good to have a real and official answer from MS...

Blacklac

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
Microsoft later said in a statement provided to CNET that "Surface Pro 3 (and the entire Surface Pro lineup) will update to Windows 10. We are working on an update for [the Windows RT version of] Surface, which will have some of the functionality of Windows 10

Take that as you will. They are getting an update with Win10 features.

Keep in mind, WinRT 8.1 currently only has "some" of the features of Win 8.1. It's not really a damning statement.

pericle

Aug 5, 2014
Visit site
Microsoft later said in a statement provided to CNET that "Surface Pro 3 (and the entire Surface Pro lineup) will update to Windows 10. We are working on an update for [the Windows RT version of] Surface, which will have some of the functionality of Windows 10

Take that as you will. They are getting an update with Win10 features.

Keep in mind, WinRT 8.1 currently only has "some" of the features of Win 8.1. It's not really a damning statement.
I think what they mean by 'it will have some of the functionality of Windows 10' is that it's going to be an upgrade like windows phone 7.5 to Windows Phone 7.8.

It seems if you are a Microsoft customer you have to constantly worry about being left out in the cold.

podsnap

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
This doesn't really bother me. In it's present form, my Surface 2 is brilliant. It does what I need it to do (otherwise I wouldn't have bought it in the first place).

​Therefore, any features they add will be a bonus.

​Of course, it's always nice to have the latest greatest OS but it'll still work and integrate just fine.

​I'll keep it until the battery dies.

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
This doesn't really bother me. In it's present form, my Surface 2 is brilliant. It does what I need it to do (otherwise I wouldn't have bought it in the first place).

​Therefore, any features they add will be a bonus.

​Of course, it's always nice to have the latest greatest OS but it'll still work and integrate just fine.

​I'll keep it until the battery dies.

I totally agree with you.

bdball

Jan 6, 2013
Visit site
I can't understand why they just don't come out and fully explain what they will do for the Surface 2 instead of being vague. Sometimes it is extremely frustrating using Microsoft products. Either way, I was planning on getting a Surface Pro 3 soon but this has me thinking I might want to avoid any Microsoft hardware going forward. Now I'm thinking of going the Lenovo Yoga route instead. In the end, the Surface 2 is just a tablet for me, although since my laptop died it has been quite a lifesaver as a 2-in-1 device.

Zulfigar

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
I can't understand why they just don't come out and fully explain what they will do for the Surface 2 instead of being vague. Sometimes it is extremely frustrating using Microsoft products. Either way, I was planning on getting a Surface Pro 3 soon but this has me thinking I might want to avoid any Microsoft hardware going forward. Now I'm thinking of going the Lenovo Yoga route instead. In the end, the Surface 2 is just a tablet for me, although since my laptop died it has been quite a lifesaver as a 2-in-1 device.

Maybe they're not even sure what to do with Arm based processors at the moment, since all OEMs have stopped making them. So yeah, you and I both might have gotten screwed a bit, but I didn't intend to replace anything with it and the Surface Rt does everything I want it to.

The Surface Pro though is made to replace a laptop, and it is a full computer. So different hardware and different importance.

golf9509

Jan 27, 2015
Visit site
Well, I purchased a new Surface 2 in December because Microsoft said that any device on Windows 8.1 will get upgraded to Windows 10. Now they say Surface 2 will not get the upgrade. If this is indeed how it plays out, I will for the first time since well before Windows 95 release no longer be a Microsoft customer. I have been one of their biggest proponents but if they indeed leave my new tablet out in the cold, I'm done. It's not a matter of if the device in it's current state is ok. The problem is that it is now a DEAD OS and therefore nobody will be developing new applications for it. Really disappointing.

golf9509

Jan 27, 2015
Visit site
really disappointing that Microsoft has taken this stance. I purchased a brand new Surface 2 a month ago with the understanding that it would receive the update to Windows 10. Now I'm stuck with a paper weight that no software developer will be touching. Really unlike Microsoft. Guess it's the new Microsoft.

dakranii

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
A paperweight? That's a bit of hyperbole, don't you think? A paperweight sits on your desk and does nothing. A Surface 2 does next year what it does today. Was it a paperweight when you purchased it?

For the record, I'm using my Surface RT. And I will continue to until I replace it with a newer model or it dies.

wasabiman123

Sep 15, 2014
Visit site
It's probably due to the use of the NVIDIA chips, everything else arm on windows is running on Qualcomm. I hope the 2 still gets a sizable update, the Tegra 4 is still quite capable.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NunezGuad