Hoping it's not true that Surface 2 won't get W10.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Will Surface 2s stop working the day Windows 10 gets released? No, they will work just as they do now. Will there be W10 features missing? Most assuredly. The one thing that has not been addressed is whether future Store apps have backward compatibility with present devices like our Surfaces or even Windows 8 computers that don't get upgraded.

WinMo phones and PDAs still work, have access to the internet, have push email and some apps. WP7 phones still work as they did the day they were bought. Why all the "sky is falling" attitudes?

Cruncher04

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
Because Win 10 for arm is going to be wp10 and wp10 doesn't have desktop, which is something surface 2 would need.

Thats just an abitrary decision. Nothing would stop them from offering Window 10 for ARM (not the dumbed down wp version) if they wanted too.
Infact Microsoft is even preparing Windows Server for ARM.

But lets see what the update brings. It most likely will be infact a Windows 10 version.

Blacklac

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
Not so sure I even want 10 after what I've seen from these Windows and Windows Phone previews. Damn. I hope they are holding a LOT back.

EspHack

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
well lets hope its a misunderstanding and nothing more, that he wanted to clarify its a limited w10 version, just like 8.1 for rt is limited in comparison to pro, and not that they are giving a mercy update like the wp 7.8 one, this time it doesn't make sense, rt tablets have the same hardware as lumia 1520 and even 520 is getting w10 for "ARM" which accounts as RT to me, maybe it wont have "hey cortana" or some minor feature like that, but at the end, they have to make a w10 for RT OS, even if they don't sell that much, there's people like us who just want a big touchscreen with a web browser and media players, no fans no heat no ****ty battery life and no x86 aberrations, they cant address that need with a cheap atom x86 tablet focused on being a crappy 10" laptop that fails at being both a tablet and laptop, and a proper high end one like the pro 3 again, is not for everyone

poststamp

May 29, 2014
Visit site
WinMo phones and PDAs still work, have access to the internet, have push email and some apps. WP7 phones still work as they did the day they were bought. Why all the "sky is falling" attitudes?
WP7 phones can't use Skype anymore, and almost no apps appear anymore.

ajayden

Feb 26, 2012
Visit site
My HTC with WP7 is working perfectly but i dont use it anymore. I have given it to my kid as a toy.

Windows RT was designed just like the iPad to be a media consumption device and do some work related stuff. In its current form and feature, it is still useful. Adding windows 10 will not change anything for the RT.

poststamp

May 29, 2014
Visit site
If you're happy with that, sure it's all fine. But for me, my L800 is useless compared to my wp8.1. Adding w10 will absolutely change everything for the surface if it gains access to WP apps.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site

How many phones from 2010 have access to every feature their respective OS offers today? The iPhone 4 is limited to iOS7 and missing many features. The OG Droid is stuck on FroYo. A little perspective is in order.

poststamp

May 29, 2014
Visit site
You are the one who pulled wp7 in this discussion, claiming they still work the same as the day they were released. Apparently they don't, key features like Skype are gone. Skype is going to be build into w10, that alone is a good reason to want w10 on a surface2.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
So according to your logic, a brand new WP8 device no longer works properly because the Bank of America app has been pulled. I've had many WP7 devices, and still do, yet I don't recall any of them shipping with Skype. My Titan II still makes phone calls, still connects to the internet, still fetches email and still gets app updates from time to time.

Sent from my bitchin' Lumia 2520

poststamp

May 29, 2014
Visit site
That's really great you love that old crap. Congratulations. Other people do want updates, have machines up to date. W10 is made to face the competition, to go forward and kick ***. Many people really want that update, period.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos