Hi, I am thinking about purchasing a Microsoft Surface 2 for home use. You can get one for around 150 Eur refurbished I guess.
    What I want to do primarily is to watch TV and movies I have stored on my NAS.
    I want to watch Live streams of sport events eg here.
    Is this possible in any Surface 2 browser without hiccups and lags? What is the image quality like?
    I have stored films on my Synology NAS in a wealth of different formats. Can I play all formats to a Surface? Is there a DS video station app for Windows RT?
    Can I play YouTube-films either through an app or in a browser?
    Thank you for your replies!
    08-24-2015 08:42 AM
    You should be able to play videos on a Surface 2 from files stored on a NAS. (I've done so from my PLEX server) Any DLNA-compliant server should work.

Please keep in mind that there is only 1 web browser available for the Surface 2, that's Internet Explorer. The Windows RT version of IE does not support Java or plug-ins (like Flash) so depending upon what a website is using you may or may not be able to watch videos.

I attempted to load that website on my Surface 2 (IE). It works! It works beautifully from here in Arizona, USA. Fullscreen also works with great quality and no lag.

Yes, YouTube video playback is also possible.
    You should be able to play videos on a Surface 2 from files stored on a NAS. (I've done so from my PLEX server) Any DLNA-compliant server should work.

Please keep in mind that there is only 1 web browser available for the Surface 2, that's Internet Explorer. The Windows RT version of IE does not support Java or plug-ins (like Flash) so depending upon what a website is using you may or may not be able to watch videos.

I attempted to load that website on my Surface 2 (IE). It works! It works beautifully from here in Arizona, USA. Fullscreen also works with great quality and no lag.

Yes, YouTube video playback is also possible.
    08-24-2015 08:54 AM
    Thanks for your reply, it's greatly appreciated.
    I just wonder if the Synology homepage (the menu showing in the browser when you type in the NAS address) will be working...
    Sadly Windows RT seems to have severe issues regarding playback from NAS http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/w...llReplies#tabs
    How are the Surface 2's speakers btw?
    08-24-2015 10:21 AM
    I find the Surface 2 speakers quite adequate and near the top with respect to quality and volume for tablets.
    streifenleopard likes this.
    08-24-2015 12:13 PM