Surface 3 User Reviews

ShinraCorp

Feb 13, 2014
Visit site
You might want to lock this up first before you have to deal with fake reviews :p As a matter of fact I suggest even locking it up for 1 week after release so people will have plenty of time to use it.

Dionisis

May 7, 2015
Visit site
Could someone who actually has a Surface 3 tell me if that little monster can play SolidWorks? I know that the previous Atom can play Photoshop and even Labview but was wondering for Solidworks or any other designing program, uhm sorry.. app....

Apoc

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I ended up getting the 2gb/64GB HDD, on the release date and was really pleased with it. After having it for 2 days, and not really getting to use it like I wanted to, I decided to take it back and get the 4gb/128 HDD, love it even more. Of course I got the Type Cover and Surface Pen as well on the release date (Blue Color for both). Finally have a couple of days off of work and able to use it more today. I was able to get by with my Surface RT and eventually HP Stream 7, at work, but was happy to get this upgrade. Go ahead and get the UAG case, which protects the entire device and for me it's not heavy at all, makes it even more of a solid device.

Steve Adams

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
I ended up getting the 2gb/64GB HDD, on the release date and was really pleased with it. After having it for 2 days, and not really getting to use it like I wanted to, I decided to take it back and get the 4gb/128 HDD, love it even more. Of course I got the Type Cover and Surface Pen as well on the release date (Blue Color for both). Finally have a couple of days off of work and able to use it more today. I was able to get by with my Surface RT and eventually HP Stream 7, at work, but was happy to get this upgrade. Go ahead and get the UAG case, which protects the entire device and for me it's not heavy at all, makes it even more of a solid device.

What was the issue with the 64gb version? Did the low ram screw around with things?

Apoc

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
What was the issue with the 64gb version? Did the low ram screw around with things?
For me, I just didn't feel it would be enough RAM for what I needed it for at the time. I did notice the quickness with the extra memory available with the upgrade. Now, I will probably be getting the Surface Book as my laptop replacement, as well.

Ferrr

Dec 2, 2015
Visit site
I have a Surface 3 LTE, purchased in October 2015 with all updates duly installed. On the screen appear random clicks, like if I was touching it (but I don't) at full speed, making appear menus, opening files, starting apps etc. making the device unusable.

I had reset the device to no avail.

Additionally, I experienced other problems:

- "Autorotate on" appears on the screen when working with the keyboard attached (so, not rotating at all) stopping the device for some seconds.
- A full charge needs 5-6h, with the device plugged in and switched off. If you want to work while charging the device, you will have a hard time: it charges extremely slowly (12h minimum needed) and in most of cases, if you have 2 or 3 "normal" (not very high energy consuming) apps open at the same time (outlook, word, edge), the device will keep on discharging, even plugged in.
- The device loses battery when on sleep mode at a very alarming pace (around 5% per hour)

I purchased the device in the US and I work in Russia. Now, with a worldwide guaranty, and in spite of having a filial in Russia, Microsoft asks me to ship the device, to pay for the shipping, to be delivered the new one in the US, and to pay the shipping again to my home in Russia...

And the screen problem is known since 3 years, with thousands of people complaining on forums.

Shame to Microsoft to keep on selling these crappy devices.

If you don't know how to make computers and how to deal with customers, please stay away and let others like Apple do that.

I deeply regret the day when I entered the Microsoft store to buy this piece of (s...).

Steve Adams

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
I have a Surface 3 LTE, purchased in October 2015 with all updates duly installed. On the screen appear random clicks, like if I was touching it (but I don't) at full speed, making appear menus, opening files, starting apps etc. making the device unusable.

I had reset the device to no avail.

Additionally, I experienced other problems:

- "Autorotate on" appears on the screen when working with the keyboard attached (so, not rotating at all) stopping the device for some seconds.
- A full charge needs 5-6h, with the device plugged in and switched off. If you want to work while charging the device, you will have a hard time: it charges extremely slowly (12h minimum needed) and in most of cases, if you have 2 or 3 "normal" (not very high energy consuming) apps open at the same time (outlook, word, edge), the device will keep on discharging, even plugged in.
- The device loses battery when on sleep mode at a very alarming pace (around 5% per hour)

I purchased the device in the US and I work in Russia. Now, with a worldwide guaranty, and in spite of having a filial in Russia, Microsoft asks me to ship the device, to pay for the shipping, to be delivered the new one in the US, and to pay the shipping again to my home in Russia...

And the screen problem is known since 3 years, with thousands of people complaining on forums.

Shame to Microsoft to keep on selling these crappy devices.

If you don't know how to make computers and how to deal with customers, please stay away and let others like Apple do that.

I deeply regret the day when I entered the Microsoft store to buy this piece of (s...).

HA HA HA>

The funniest thing I have read in a while. Leave building computers to apple. The biggest heaps of crap ever built. The surface mops up anything the crapple company can devise. Thanks for the humor.

Obviously your an apple lemming and probably does not even have a surface 3 considering it was only released like 6 months ago not three years. NICE TRY. go back to the apple tree and enjoy your childrens toys.

Steve Adams

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
BTW FERR,

Why Copy and Paste your so called rant 5 times in the surface 3 forums? Once was not enough and you never got the cheers from the other members spouting APPLES praises? Not getting that here. Most people here want to run far away from apples childish nonsense devices and use real devices like the awesome surface and Lumia line....Not the same device just big or small.

Steve Adams

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
MS does not directly. I ordered my surface through a third party. Supposedly its an enterprise model. I am running windows pro as well.

undulose

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site
Here's my review of the Microsoft Surface 3 with 128 GB/ 4 GB RAM configuration with Type Cover:

This is one of the devices that I think had a niche with a person like me. I use to travel a lot, work on the mountains, sleep on a different house each night for a couple days, etc. In short, I'm the type of guy who's always on the move.

I tested carrying it for a couple of days on my backpack while moving on different houses, and this is certainly something very light to carry compared to my 13-inch gaming notebook. I give it a positive point for that.'

Its form factor and aspect ratio (3:2) make it very nice to use for reading and web browsing while in portrait mode. I tried using it
several times while chilling on coffee shops and the experience is just great and relaxing.

I cannot say that performance and OS consistency should be given a full grade, but one should not expect much on this
device, as it is powered by an Intel Atom processor with a relatively weak graphics card. I resisted the temptation to install Steam games on it, since what I wanted is primarily a tablet (with reliable battery life, more on that later) that can be transformed easily into a fitting work netbook. I experience some layout glitches when switching from portrait to landscape mode while using apps (especially Store games) that should run on landscape, but it's just a minor problem. I tried running Adobe Lightroom with it and it performed well, although not as fast as my gaming laptop. I tried mock-typing on an Excel sheet and it performed well too on that test. Store games also run from decent (playing on noticeably lower FPS) to well, depending on the type of game that you will be playing. Take note that I used the tip from Windows Central re. maxing out Intel graphics performance.

The Type Cover was another thing of joy to use. Everything about it seems perfectly made for the S3! I'm typing on it now, and as other reviews had stated, it has enough tactile feedback and enough space between keys. The backlight is a welcome feature too. I had my room's main light turned off to test the backlit keyboard, and the light is enough, with multiple levels of brightness to accommodate different levels of background light.

I've read negative reviews about the battery but I beg to differ. First, I haven't experienced slow charging with it. From 30% to 100%, charging time is about two hours only or less. This is very far from what I read on this site's forums, like 10% per hour!? Next is the battery's standby time. First time I bought it, it has only 11% charge. I came home 5 hours later and it had 10% remaining charge. On other days, I fully charge the tablet every night and do not find the need to charge it in the middle of the day.

So there, I think the Surface line is something Microsoft should be proud of. They've just made another happy customer. :)

Telstar1948

Nov 4, 2015
Visit site
I have to agree with undulose - So far, putting my S3 to sleep, the battery charge loses about 1% per hour. I really haven't checked it in hibernation to see what the rate is (my S3 enters hibernation after 4 hours). I expect battery drop to be less than 1% per hour when in hibernation.

I love the fan-less operation, the less weight and less size from the SP3. When it comes to performance, the S3 does everything of a typical office nature as well as any sort of computer I've used. A larger processor may provide near instantaneous performance opening a window or app or other similar function, but the S3 handles all of that without any undue delay. It isn't as fast as an i5 SSD (SP3 or SP4), but in the realm of everyday operations, it shines. The fact that it can handle ANY and ALL of my office functions and personal use as well says it all. I do have a desktop to handle gaming, and to run my office too, but the S3 is perfectly capable of handling all that (less real gaming) if the desktop goes down. Just plug it up to the monitors, etc. and you're off. So it isn't just my companion device but one that can take over if needed handling office chores at a moment's notice.

Going mobile with it is a dream due to it's size and weight and battery life. It's a win/win for me. Will there be upgrades and improvements to the S3? Sure, that's the nature of tech. I am perfectly happy with my S3 as it is, so it may be some time before I consider upgrading. Even then, I'm sold on this form factor so any upgrading for me will have to be with this size and weight.

So far, I've not found any negatives with the S3. It's running everything my desktop is running (sans games), and I use a wide variety of software for my business and personal use

Steve Adams

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
Agreed. Its the best mobile tablet/computer device out now. Price/performance/size/function is damn near perfect. My last computer was an acer 4810 timeline from 2010. this is faster, smaller, lighter. BUT put it in the dock, and I have a full computer. I still have to set everything up, and I am purchasing a 27" lg monitor to be able to run my xbox and surface with full sound etc with no issues. I also need to get a good usb hub so I can connect all my periferals to my surface as well. Try that Ipad pro. (junk).

The size of the S3 is great as well, its the size of a magazine, so next issue works great, plus the pen is another great feature. I found the S pros were too big for our needs, traveling etc. The smaller foot print of the s3 can fit great into our motorcycle, Jeeps, or carry in our hands on a plane just nicer than the bigger surface pros.

All in all its the sweet spot for computing today!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs