This or the Surface Pro1?

jomarr

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
Hi! I can get a used SP1 for around 400 bucks and that's with the type cover and pen. Should I get that or the Surface 3?

I need it for post grad studies.

Posted via Windows Phone Central App for Android!

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I think the question comes down to whether you want raw horsepower or battery life. (The 3 also is fanless and has a more flexible kickstand) Also, the 3 currently has a baseline price of $499 I believe, not including pen or cover, so I think that'll add a sizeable amount.

(Shameless plug - get both: I'm trying to sell a used SP2 bundle - $460-ish, in the Marketplace subforum.)

jomarr

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
I think the question comes down to whether you want raw horsepower or battery life. (The 3 also is fanless and has a more flexible kickstand) Also, the 3 currently has a baseline price of $499 I believe, not including pen or cover, so I think that'll add a sizeable amount.

(Shameless plug - get both: I'm trying to sell a used SP2 bundle - $460-ish, in the Marketplace subforum.)

Hmmm interested but can't see your ad in the marketplace. Also I live in the Philippines, if we could arrange shipping I'm going to try.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

jomarr

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
http://forums.windowscentral.com/ma...984-surface-pro-2-64-gb-core-accessories.html

Woah, the Philippines? I don't know how much shipping I'm looking at, going international might shake things up quite a bit, might be pricey - I was basing my $455 (?) USD quote on continental US.
Where in the Philippines?

Manila! I will try to contact the freight service I use bthat is based in New York whenever I buy something from Amazon. If your Sp2 is still available in a week or two I'm going to contact you. :)

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Manila! I will try to contact the freight service I use bthat is based in New York whenever I buy something from Amazon. If your Sp2 is still available in a week or two I'm going to contact you. :)

Alright, keep me posted! Probably will be around then.

James8561

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
Surface 3 for sure. SP1 is an obsolete device that won't be updated anymore. Plus it's bulky heavy thick like a floor tile and it's ugly black and last like 4 hours.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Surface 3 for sure. SP1 is an obsolete device that won't be updated anymore.

WRONG.

You're talking about a full Windows PC here, not a phone!
It's going to probably die before any software updates stop.
My laptop shipped with Windows Vista, it's going to get 10 this summer.
It's going to be upgradeable to Windows 10. It's going to get security fixes, etc.

azcruz

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
@jomarr, just understand that the Surface line is not supported in the Philippines. I bought my RT and Pro 1 from Australia, and support closest to us is Singapore. It is a hassle having dealt with them twice. Other than that, the SP2 bundle offered to you is a good price.

I am from the Philippines too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

akin_t

Sep 30, 2014
Visit site
Hi! I can get a used SP1 for around 400 bucks and that's with the type cover and pen. Should I get that or the Surface 3?

I need it for post grad studies.

Posted via Windows Phone Central App for Android!

How is this even a question? I mean seriously.

SP1 is heavy, thick, loud (due to fans), has terrible battery life. S3 is quiet, lightweight, it's a true portable, it's more ergonomic due to the better type covers and more flexible kickstand ... Sounds like you don't even need a tablet if you're even considering the SP1 at this point.

Why not just get a laptop if power is the most important quality?

alisaad619

May 8, 2014
Visit site
3 reasons to get the Surface3 :-
1-a better pen ;especially in corners and when the pen is tilted
2-thinner , and a lot lighter.
3-better battery life , and a standard charger.

you can get it with 10% with educational discount .

azcruz

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site

SP1 is heavy, thick, loud (due to fans), has terrible battery life. S3 is quiet, lightweight, it's a true portable, it's more ergonomic due to the better type covers and more flexible kickstand ... Sounds like you don't even need a tablet if you're even considering the SP1 at this point.

So, what is the $400 laptop with i5, high resolution touch screen, pen-enabled, with SSD performance that is thinner, lighter, and quieter than the Pro 1?

How much in decibels is your definition of "loud?"

jomarr

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site

Because I actually like the pen support and it's Windows.

I'm actually looking at alternatives but I can't find a nice tablet with pen support. I'm considering the note 2014 but I really prefer Windows.

P_Devil

Apr 6, 2015
Visit site
I recommend sticking with Windows mainly because of the full version of One Note. I have it on my SP2 and all of my notes are available, automatically (through the magic cloud), on my Samsung Note Edge. I have used One Note for taking notes in my graduate engineering classes, in meetings, and for planning things out. I can e-mail them to anyone in my building (we all have One Note on our desktops) and they can open them, otherwise I can export them as PDF files or Word documents and e-mail them. The full version of One Note is truly one of the best note taking programs. It is far more stable and versatile than the note taking apps I have tried on the iPad (Notes Plus and iAnnotate to name a few) and it runs better than the Android and iOS versions while having more features.

At this point, I don't see a reason why anyone would buy a Surface Pro 1 unless they want to use it as a secondary system around the house. Yeah, the processor in it is still a great performer and the SP1 will be upgraded to Windows 10 but, by today's standards, it is thick, heavy, the 16X9 screen isn't as good as the 3X2 displays in the SP3 and Surface 3 for note taking, and the battery life is outright atrocious practically requiring the Power Cover (which adds weight and thickness) just to push the 6 hour mark of browsing in the touch version of IE 11. That doesn't really bode well for something that is supposed to be super portable, like a tablet.

The Surface 3 is a lot more portable, has better battery life without requiring a battery keyboard, you can carry around a battery pack (about the size of a smartphone) if you really wanted to push going all day and night, and the Atom x7 CPU is still fine for everyday tasks along with media consumption (it can playback 4K video content). The Surface 3 is an improvement over the SP1 in every single aspect except raw performance. I think the 0.7 lb decrease in weight, better aspect ratio, larger display, decrease in thickness, and doubling of battery life outweigh having ~30% more performance.

gtbbong89

Apr 15, 2015
Visit site
Hey Jomarr. Ive owned SP1 SP2 SP3 and SURGACE 2. And just pre ordered S3. With my experiences, i want to tell you that SP2 is a good deal if your looking for a used SP product line. Yes, its a bit heavy and chunky but its probably the best device with a good amount of horse power. But if you want a new one you should go for SP 3. It is significantly lighter and all around a better pen experience for note taking. (I prefer Wacom pen which is built in SP1 &2 when drawing.) FYI new sp2 isnt that expensive on Amazon. Their price is drastically dropping. With SP 4 being released quite soon, used SP2 should cost around 400 or less. Hope this helps!

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

WillysJeepMan

Aug 7, 2008
Visit site
Because I actually like the pen support and it's Windows.

I'm actually looking at alternatives but I can't find a nice tablet with pen support. I'm considering the note 2014 but I really prefer Windows.
I'm really diggin' my Acer Aspire Switch 11. It checks off all of the boxes that I had as requirements for a hybrid device.... and still only $449 at the Microsoft store (that includes the keyboard). It also has an active digitizer (Synaptics) and works great with Dell's 3rd gen Dell Venue 8 Pro stylus.

But.. with regard to Surface 3 vs. Surface Pro (1 or 2) I'd recommend the Surface 3. Not only for the reasons stated above, but also for the aspect ratio. That's the downside to the Surface RT, 2, SP1, and SP2.

I'm very impressed with what Microsoft has done with the the Surface 3. If you decide on the S3, I highly recommend the 4GB/128GB model. 64GB storage is not going to be enough for more than casual use.

Geodude074

Feb 12, 2014
Visit site
Get the Surface Pro.

The Surface 3 with Type Cover and Pen is $680. If you can get the Surface Pro for $400 with Type Cover and Pen you're saving a huge chunk. Plus you get a Core i5, SSD performance (not just eMMC), and 4 GB of RAM. If you want 4 GB of RAM with the new Surface 3, prepare to pony up $600, plus another $180 for the Type Cover and Pen, so that's $780. And at $780 there are much, much better alternatives out there. The new Surface 3 is simply overpriced by about $180, they should have really included the Type Cover for free, seeing as how other competitors are offering their keyboards for free (Asus T100 Chi for $450, including keyboard dock). Plus the 4 GB RAM model should have been the base model. 2 GB of RAM and 64 GB of storage is something you'd find in a $200-$300 Windows device, not a $500 Windows device.

onlysublime

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, a SP1 with Type cover and pen for $400 is a no-brainer over the S3 in terms of value and performance. If those are the key factors, get the SP1.

However, the major caveats against the SP1 is it's heavy, the kickstand only has 1 position which is very upright and poor for the lap, the battery has a very short duration, and the screen is 16:9 ratio which can get cramped at 10.6". If these other factors are equally important or more important, then the higher cost of the S3 may be worth it to you.

Still, you can't beat $400 considering the better performance. The other thing to keep in mind is laptop battery life deteriorates over time. The SP1 is old regardless so it will reach a point sooner than later that it becomes a machine that's chained to the wall due to decreasing battery performance.

Another thing to keep in mind is whether this Type cover is the first generation one or the second generation one that came out during the SP2 era. They made some improvements to the original Type cover, especially with the backlighting which is amazing at night. The original Type cover does not have backlighting (as well as some other minor differences).

If it was an SP2, I would run for that deal and beat you to it. The SP2 is a significant improvement over the SP1. It has Haswell just like SP3. It has a two-position kickstand which is great enough to work on the lap. It runs longer on battery than the SP1 and doesn't heat up like the Ivy Bridge of the SP1. The SP2 can even outperform an SP3 under many conditions (due to lower resolution and lack of CPU/GPU throttling). It's also built like a tank.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs