Surface Pro 1 for a Surface 3?

jhoff80

Apr 27, 2003
Visit site
It depends on if you need performance or not. The Pro 1 will blow away the Surface 3 in performance. In nearly everything else, the Surface 3 has the advantage - battery, weight, form factor, etc. The only one that's debatable otherwise is the N-trig pen in the Surface 3 versus the Wacom one in the Pro 1.

Kevin N Smith

Mar 12, 2013
Visit site
It depends on if you need performance or not. The Pro 1 will blow away the Surface 3 in performance. In nearly everything else, the Surface 3 has the advantage - battery, weight, form factor, etc. The only one that's debatable otherwise is the N-trig pen in the Surface 3 versus the Wacom one in the Pro 1.

Ok. I orig. planned on using my pro for programming, gaming, etc (laptop replacement), however that just didn't work - the thing is too hard to use on the lap and the trackpad is also very clumsy to use. Is the Surface 3 any better in those areas? I'd so, I'd consider getting the pro 3 being that it is basically a better - preforming version of the S3.

P_Devil

Apr 6, 2015
Visit site
I wouldn't say that the SP1 "blows away" the Surface 3 in terms of performance. The Core i5 in the SP1 might be more powerful but the Atom x7 in the Surface 3 has the potential to offer more powerful graphics. Early benchmarks (not Geekbench) are putting the Atom x7 CPU right up there (actually a bit ahead) with the Core M in the unreleased MacBook. So the differences between the SP1 and SP3, in terms of performance, could be marginal if they are even noticeable at all. Don't forget that the SP1 runs a Core i5 that's now two generations behind instead of one like the SP2/SP3.

The Surface 3 is also capable of smoothly playing back 4K video, outputting up to three monitors (never mind, it appears Microsoft isn't enabling this option with the Surface 3), outputting to a 4K monitor, playing high framerate HD videos, and even playing some games on decent settings. I wouldn't do anything heavy in Photoshop on it but I'm guessing SP1 users weren't really doing that either since it kills their battery.

I think going from an SP1 to a Surface 3, especially the model with 128GB of storage, is a smart move. It's lighter, thinner, has a display that is easier to write on, the pen has more functionality (though it does requires its own power source), and performance between the two should be similar with the Surface 3 pulling ahead in graphics (if Intel is to be believed).

Last edited:

Jackie Earley

Sep 16, 2013
Visit site
I was debating to do this for my wife. She has a SP1 and I have an SP3. The SP1 is so bulky and battery life is atrocious. She doesn't really do much on it that requires heavy processing. I might do that.

jhoff80

Apr 27, 2003
Visit site
I wouldn't say that the SP1 "blows away" the Surface 3 in terms of performance. The Core i5 in the SP1 might be more powerful but the Atom x7 in the Surface 3 has the potential to offer more powerful graphics. Early benchmarks (not Geekbench) are putting the Atom x7 CPU right up there (actually a bit ahead) with the Core M in the unreleased MacBook. So the differences between the SP1 and SP3, in terms of performance, could be marginal if they are even noticeable at all. Don't forget that the SP1 runs a Core i5 that's now two generations behind instead of one like the SP2/SP3.

That two generation old Core i5 is still faster than the Pro 3's Haswell i3 option. Microsoft themselves said that the Surface 3 gets ~70% of the performance of the i3 Pro 3. So yes, the Surface Pro 1 is going to be far faster. The Pro 1 also has a true SSD and not eMMC storage, meaning that its disk performance is also going to be far greater.

P_Devil

Apr 6, 2015
Visit site
It was 85% of the Core i3 CPU in the SP3 but, like I said, that could be marginal or not even noticeable. I doubt you are going to notice the speed differences between SSD and eMMC unless you are doing serious video editing (which you wouldn't be considering the Surface 3 for anyway). The keyword here being "noticeable."

James8561

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
Technicality: all tablets use eMMC since SSD is too big for them.
That said, it is not the form factor that dictates performance because you can have high end eMMC being faster than cheap SSDs. It all depends on price, but yes in general eMMC is slower due to less energy consumption

James8561

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
I have yet to see any laptop or tablet beat what is possible on the desktop in terms of performance.
Stating the obvious much?
On desktop you have like almost no space, heat, or power consumption restrictions compared to mobile. 10 core 180watt Xeons and 250watt graphics cards come to mind. GL powering those with a battery and carry them around though. All form factors have pros and cons

P_Devil

Apr 6, 2015
Visit site
I have yet to see any laptop or tablet beat what is possible on the desktop in terms of performance.

That has always been the case and will continue to be the case when comparing traditional desktops to notebooks, tablets, and all-in-one desktop units. What's your point. As James said, you are stating the obvious. I don't think people are expecting a $499 Surface 3 to beat out a a $6500 Alienware Area-51 desktop with an 8-core Corei7 CPU, 32GB of quad channel DDR4 RAM, a 512GB SSD, and two Nvidia Titan Z graphics cards running in SLI. In fact, I would question the sanity of a person making such a comparison.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
That has always been the case and will continue to be the case when comparing traditional desktops to notebooks, tablets, and all-in-one desktop units. What's your point. As James said, you are stating the obvious. I don't think people are expecting a $499 Surface 3 to beat out a a $6500 Alienware Area-51 desktop with an 8-core Corei7 CPU, 32GB of quad channel DDR4 RAM, a 512GB SSD, and two Nvidia Titan Z graphics cards running in SLI. In fact, I would question the sanity of a person making such a comparison.
What is YOUR point? No need to overly correct. James made the point.

Last edited:

gerbert0013

Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
kevin n smith. I have the sp1 with the surface dock. If Microsoft or bestbuy has a good offer to trade both in. I plan on getting the s3 with the new dock. I might keep my surface type keyboard if it fits the s3.

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
You would be better just getting the Power Cover, and not getting the Surface 3. The SP1 performance is much better (on paper). The track pad on the type cover 3 (pro 3) is much better. Track pad on the power cover is good but isn't clickable

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
kevin n smith. I have the sp1 with the surface dock. If Microsoft or bestbuy has a good offer to trade both in. I plan on getting the s3 with the new dock. I might keep my surface type keyboard if it fits the s3.

I believe all type covers fit each version. The type cover 1 fits in the pro 3

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gerbert0013

Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
I bought the power cover I didn't like the track pad, also a little bulky. I should get one because they are cheaper now. I causally game. Diablo3. I use STEAM to play counter strike nothing to much. Also the type cover 1 looks funny on the SP3 since it has a bigger screen. Thanks for the input. I think it just comes down to how much money do I want to put down. Hopefully there is a decent trade in value.

onlysublime

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
Technicality: all tablets use eMMC since SSD is too big for them.
That said, it is not the form factor that dictates performance because you can have high end eMMC being faster than cheap SSDs. It all depends on price, but yes in general eMMC is slower due to less energy consumption

If performance is your #1 goal, you would not go from an i5 Ivy Bridge (in the original Surface Pro) to the Atom (Cherry Trail).

And all Surface Pro machines (1, 2, or 3) have true SSD. Only Atom machines and cheaper machines/tablets have eMMC.

Of course, if other factors are important, then the Surface 3 can come out ahead. I use my Surface Pro 2 as my primary PC. It doesn't do the heavy duty video encoding for Adobe Premiere or Handbrake which is reserved for my desktop machines. But all my work, my video editing, my photo editing, etc. is all done on my SP2. There's no way any of my workflow can work on an Atom. That's just not what the Atom is meant to do. The Atom is meant for things a typical consumer does (web browse, type some documents, watch some videos, play some games, etc.).

Now, if the trackpad is unusable to you (my trackpad on the SP2 is pretty much worthless) and you don't want to deal with a mouse or trackball, then you'll like the trackpad of the Surface 3 which is much better.

Also, you are correct that the single kickstand position of the SP1 is awful for the lap. I love my SP2 because of that second position which makes it totally comfortable on the lap for me. And the Surface 3 has 3 positions now.

Again, it comes down to how much you value performance above the other factors. I know compiling code, editing video, editing photos, etc. can be quite a chore on a CPU like the Atom or even the i3 (which is faster than Atom).

I can see going from SP1 to Surface 3 because of the SP1 limitations as long as performance on the Atom is okay to you.
For myself, there's absolutely zero chance of going from SP2 to a Surface 3. SP2 is a very good improvement on the SP1 (better CPU, more kickstand positions, better battery life, slightly better screen, etc.). And the SP2 is the fastest Surface Pro under sustained load. Faster than SP3 due to SP3 throttling and because the SP2 only has to drive a 1080P screen versus the higher resolution of the SP3.

P_Devil

Apr 6, 2015
Visit site
What is YOUR point? No need to overly correct. James made the point.

To further substantiate their statement.

If performance is your #1 goal, you would not go from an i5 Ivy Bridge (in the original Surface Pro) to the Atom (Cherry Trail).
...There's no way any of my workflow can work on an Atom.

I wouldn't be too quick, just yet, to rule out the Atom x7 in the Surface 3 for some of those tasks. I don't think it will be faster than a Surface Pro for them but it might not be too bad of a trade-off especially when compared to a Surface Pro 1. The Surface 3 is a step back in performance compared to the SP1 (though I'm not sure if it is noticeable for most people) but it is thinner, lighter, and gets better battery life even when compared to the SP1 with a Power Cover.

My office-mate has an SP1 and he is planning on getting the Surface 3 when it hits. Then again, all he does is use One Note, other MS Office programs, surf the internet, watch movies/videos, and listen to music. I have thought about it since that is pretty much all I do with my SP2 and I would like carrying around a thinner, lighter unit that gets the same battery life as my setup (SP2+Power Cover). But I'm still on the fence, that's why I'm going to be visiting the Microsoft Store numerous times before the Surface 3 launches.

onlysublime

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
The benchmarks are out, showing the difference between Surface 3, Surface 2, and Surface Pro 3.

As expected, there's a large gap between Atom and Core, but that's expected. There's no problem having different classes. The Atom is like your Toyota Camry which is perfectly fine for many people. The Core series is like the BMW M series. An entirely different class meant for different things. You're wasting money if you get an M5 when you're just hauling kids around.

Just because the Atom is brand new doesn't mean it's leaving its class. And just because the Core is old doesn't mean it's leaving its class either. The main differences between Haswell (Surface Pro 2 and Surface Pro 3) and Ivy Bridge (Surface Pro 1) is Haswell is more efficient which is better for battery life and heat output, and it has a step up in GPU performance. But the difference in performance between Ivy Bridge and Haswell is not revolutionary but more evolutionary.

Again, if a person can accept Atom level performance, then Surface 3 is a fine upgrade over Surface Pro 1 because of all the other reasons (screen aspect ratio, form factor, kickstand, etc.). But if performance is a very important factor, then there's no way to take a Surface 3 over an SP1.

I love my Surface 2. It's great for what it's intended (Office, web browsing, videos, music, etc.) And in many ways, the Surface 3 is a nice evolution. But it's an evolution. It's still in the same class. The only major difference is now you have access to x64/x86 software (as well as the pen of course)

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb