To blue or to black?

thatdennis

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site
I will buy the Surface 3 - but am in a dilemma.

The Dark Blue color or the Black color. I have a type cover 2 in black for my Surface 2 (but now it's dead), and would want to get the Dark Blue for a change. My concerns though is that pen in black looks way sleeker, and I'm scared the Dark Blue type cover would show dirt more.

Anyone have pics of the dark blue/black pen?

P_Devil

Apr 6, 2015
Visit site
I don't have any pictures but I have seen both in-person at a Best Buy and my local Microsoft Store. I too had a black cover for my previous Surface (it was actually a Power Cover and I had a Surface Pro 2) but I wanted something different. So I pre-ordered the dark blue Type Cover. I think it's dark enough to not show any dirt (unlike the bright red and bright blue), it's really only a few shades lighter than the black.

The blue pen isn't as dark but I think it looks just as sleek especially when it's looped to the dark blue Type Cover or it's hooked to it. I would have gone with the black pen had I went with the bright red type cover, just to offset the brightness. But I prefer the dark blue look and it's a change from my Surface Pro 2 which was all black. The Surface was black, Power Cover was black, and it had a black Wacom pen.

thatdennis

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site
I don't have any pictures but I have seen both in-person at a Best Buy and my local Microsoft Store. I too had a black cover for my previous Surface (it was actually a Power Cover and I had a Surface Pro 2) but I wanted something different. So I pre-ordered the dark blue Type Cover. I think it's dark enough to not show any dirt (unlike the bright red and bright blue), it's really only a few shades lighter than the black.

The blue pen isn't as dark but I think it looks just as sleek especially when it's looped to the dark blue Type Cover or it's hooked to it. I would have gone with the black pen had I went with the bright red type cover, just to offset the brightness. But I prefer the dark blue look and it's a change from my Surface Pro 2 which was all black. The Surface was black, Power Cover was black, and it had a black Wacom pen.

Well, guess to make my decision I have to visit a Best Buy store, thanks a lot for the insight! Leaning on dark blue for now.

P_Devil

Apr 6, 2015
Visit site
You really do have to see it in-person. I could take pictures next time I'm at the Microsoft Store but they use super bright fluorescent lighting. So everything, even the black Type Cover, will look brighter than they actually are. My Best Buy store uses fluorescent lighting as well but it isn't as bright and the ceiling is a lot higher (~30ft vs. 12 ft). So everything looks darker in there than it really is. I imagine that helps with TV buying but not really anything else.

So I could take two pictures from two different places and the dark blue would look completely different. I can take pictures whenever I get my Surface 3 in different lighting conditions such at home where it's more yellow and duller, at work under bright fluorescent lights (almost as bad as the MS store), and outdoors.

thatdennis

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site
You really do have to see it in-person. I could take pictures next time I'm at the Microsoft Store but they use super bright fluorescent lighting. So everything, even the black Type Cover, will look brighter than they actually are. My Best Buy store uses fluorescent lighting as well but it isn't as bright and the ceiling is a lot higher (~30ft vs. 12 ft). So everything looks darker in there than it really is. I imagine that helps with TV buying but not really anything else.

So I could take two pictures from two different places and the dark blue would look completely different. I can take pictures whenever I get my Surface 3 in different lighting conditions such at home where it's more yellow and duller, at work under bright fluorescent lights (almost as bad as the MS store), and outdoors.

Please do provide pictures. At the moment I am unable to visit the states, and I would like to pre order mine through my brother soon.

P_Devil

Apr 6, 2015
Visit site
Please do provide pictures. At the moment I am unable to visit the states, and I would like to pre order mine through my brother soon.

Well, "soon" for me will have to be in two weeks when I pick mine up as I want to use different lighting conditions and I want to take the pictures with my compact mirrorless camera instead of my smartphone. However, you can also look at a store near you if they stock the Surface Pro 3. The blue Type Cover for the SP3 is the same exact color as it is for the Surface 3.

AiR DEGETA

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site
I have the bright blue type cover on my Surface 2 and I'm get the blue cover again Black is too plain for me plus I have a Black and Blue theme going with a lot of my tech stuff so I want to continue the trend. BUT the Blue Pen doesn't match my blue with my stuff so I might go with Bright Blue Type Cover and Black Pen.

thatdennis

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site
I have the bright blue type cover on my Surface 2 and I'm get the blue cover again Black is too plain for me plus I have a Black and Blue theme going with a lot of my tech stuff so I want to continue the trend. BUT the Blue Pen doesn't match my blue with my stuff so I might go with Bright Blue Type Cover and Black Pen.

Yeah the biggest problem for me is not the type cover's color (i love the dark blue), it's the pen. I just don't like the pen's color.

ADufresne

Feb 16, 2015
Visit site
Well, I'd like to roughly match the type cover I'll be attaching it to. Having the pen not be black should help it stand out a bit more and make me less likely to leave it somewhere. I travel a fair bit and yet another black pen sitting on a hotel room workspace might get overlooked.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6