Would it be ridiculous to cancel my Surface 3 preorder for an Acer Aspire Switch 10?

TLRtheory

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
Didn't take much convincing to get a Surface 3 pre-order out of me. I have the 256GB/8GB/i5 Surface Pro 3 now and after owning it since launch, it's clear that I just don't need a lot of power since my profession and life both revolve around extremely low-resource activities (writing code, creating websites, college homework... and BS'ing on the web). Even when I game, they're Windows Store games like BlazBlue, Order & Chaos and Rayman Jungle Run... which run fine even on the most modest of hardware.

Couldn't help but notice these past few years that Acer's trying extremely damn hard to separate themselves from their long-standing reputation of providing cheap, flimsy hardware. There's been some amazing laptops out of Acer lately, and this Aspire Switch 10 looks to be... undeniably badass.

AspireSwitch10_SW5-012_sku-zoom-big.png

...and after owning EVERY iteration of the Surface (and Surface Pro) ever made, the Switch 10 has me ever so greatly interested in something else. Same concept as the Surface lineup (and nearly the same weight as the Surface 3), but it actually has a really strong hinge mechanism to combat the complaint revolving around the Surface's 2-step adjustment.

The major thing though is that I can nab a brand new 64GB Aspire Switch 10 from Target for $329... keyboard included. I love having my work associated with the Surface brand, and the stylus has proven to be really handy for work/college... but thinking rationally: the Surface 3 honestly doesn't give me anything over it but the N-Trig stylus option... and it costs $499, $629 after the keyboard.

What does Windows Central think?

travis_valkyrie

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
I was gonna pre-order the Surface 3, but I'm in the same boat as you in the after owning every Surface product, I actually missed having a base instead of a thin flap trying to slice my legs apart, so I had the decision to choose between an Acer Aspire Switch 10, a Dell Inspiron 11 3000 2-in-1, or a Toshiba L10W.

The Toshiba L10W had terrible display, looked pretty washed out so that one was out. It came down to Acer and Dell convertibles. The Dell offers 500GB HDD with 4GB RAM and Intel Celeron Dual Core that runs at 2.4Ghz with TurboBoost, while the Acer offers 32GB SSD + 500GB (separate) with 2GB RAM and Intel Atom Quad Core that runs at 1.3Ghz. Both have great IPS displays and are very bright. The Dell has a slight edge of having a USB 3 port, but a disadvantage of a flimsy keyboard. The Acer colored me surprised with its form factor, of not having to rely on the keyboard at all times, although the detachable 500GB was kind of an annoyance. It would've made more sense if they just put a hydrid HDD in there instead of separating them. Both convertibles have great build quality. Dell feels metallic and plastic, but feels good in hand. The Acer Switch feels premium and durable, fairly heavy. Although the keyboard on the Switch 10 felt cramped for me, the Dell was ok but it has a noticeable flexing in the middle.

I was so close to buying the Acer Aspire Switch 10, it was relatively cheaper than the Dell ($550 vs $699NZD). I didn't mind the RAM or storage as it was only going to be used for light tasks just as like I used to with the Surface 2. The deal breaker was the screen ratio and the clock speed. I found it hard to work on a 16:10 (1280x800 on Acer) on the display model, sharp but not ideal for split screen, and this was the only model available in Asia/Pacific but Acer used to sell these with a 16:9 display (1366x768). The clock speed was fairly slow at 1.3Ghz, it sounds like it wouldn't matter much, but running a single process that requires a higher clock speed would be more beneficial, and this became the deciding factor.

Bought the Dell Inspiron 11 3000 as it was my final choice. I'm happy with my decision and it just made me realize that the Surface actually takes more desk space than a traditional laptop (space for kickstand + keyboard), instead of just needing a space for the keyboard which pretty much cases the whole laptop. I do wish that it had a detachable screen rather than rotating 360.

I honestly think that the Surface 3 is quite expensive, but in defense it does utilize the latest hardware offerings from Intel. The reason I'm skipping this generation is that I don't want to start all over collecting Surface accessories (eg. different size keyboards/covers), and it wouldn't make the experience any different than the SP3 or any Surface Pro line anyway, it would just be smaller. I'd rather buy a laptop now that does what I need to, sell the Surfaces that I don't need/use, and wait for the next breakthrough.

But back to your post, keep your options open. Compare laptops/convertibles and narrow down which one would best suit your needs. If you don't have any more options, go for the latest one. It will fulfill your needs now and in the future. Or if you already own a Surface or you think the changes aren't just enough for the given price (like me), then I recommend eyeing something else.

P_Devil

Apr 6, 2015
Visit site
There are some benefits that the Surface 3 has over the Acer Aspire Switch 10:

1. The $329 Switch 10 has a lower resolution than the Surface 3. It's 1280X800 compared to the Surface 3's 1920X1280.
2. The Switch's screen is also 0.7" smaller and uses the 16:10 aspect ratio.
3. The Switch runs an older Atom SoC which features a less powerful CPU and less powerful graphics.
4. The Switch uses slower RAM.
5. According to reviews, the battery life of the Switch is less than that of the Surface 3 (by an hour or two).
6. The Switch is heavier (2.58 lb vs 1.37 lb) and thicker (0.4" vs 0.34") than the Surface 3.
7. The Surface 3's display produces more accurate colors.
8. The N-trig pen in the Surface 3.

Really, the Surface 3 (even the baseline 2GB model) is an all around upgrade over the Acer. It's faster; lighter; a tad thinner; has a much better display in terms of size, aspect ratio, and resolution; gets better battery life; and has the Pen (which you found to be extremely useful). The only thing the Acer has over the Surface 3 is the rigid keyboard cover. Otherwise the Surface 3 is better in every aspect.

The Surface 3 might seem like it is priced a bit too high and I would agree that including the Pen or Type Cover would have helped but it's not necessary especially after realizing that the Surface 3 is a premium tablet and it's priced competitively with other premium tablets. The baseline Surface 3 costs the same as the 16GB iPad Air 2, the 128GB Surface 3 costs the same as the 64GB iPad Air 2. It starts at $100 more than the Nexus 9 though the later has a smaller display, 16GB fixed storage capacity, and can get rather expensive when accessories are added. The Galaxy Note 10.1 (2014) with 16GB of storage costs the same as the 64GB Surface 3. It does come with a Pen but it isn't nearly as comfortable to use and it's limited to working with just a few apps.

The Surface 3 isn't meant to go up against other Atom Windows tablets that feature lower resolution displays. Those are in their $200-$350 price categories for a reason. I'm not saying those tablets are bad, I own a Dell Venue 8 Pro and enjoy using it. But I also understand why that tablet was $200 and why I'm spending $599 on the Surface 3.

TLRtheory

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
There are some benefits that the Surface 3 has over the Acer Aspire Switch 10
I probably should've emphasized the "doesn't give me anything" part of the original post lol.

Very well aware of most every intricate difference between the two, I was only noting that the stylus was about the only thing noteworthy that I'm unsure I could do without - wasn't really inferring that they were on par as far as RAM speed, input technology, res or screen quality were concerned. Coincidentally, I have a Dell Venue 8 Pro too. 64GB. While it's form factor just doesn't fit the bill for work/college, I've found that the DV8P runs everything I need.

Also, the Switch is only over 2lb when factoring the keyboard into the weight.

WIN_20150420_094815.JPG

Comparing tablet to tablet only, the difference is much less as it's ~1.4lb (likely a bit less without our security device attached).

Tsang Fai

Aug 11, 2014
Visit site
I probably should've emphasized the "doesn't give me anything" part of the original post lol.

Very well aware of most every intricate difference between the two, I was only noting that the stylus was about the only thing noteworthy that I'm unsure I could do without - wasn't really inferring that they were on par as far as RAM speed, input technology, res or screen quality were concerned. Coincidentally, I have a Dell Venue 8 Pro too. 64GB. While it's form factor just doesn't fit the bill for work/college, I've found that the DV8P runs everything I need.

Also, the Switch is only over 2lb when factoring the keyboard into the weight.

View attachment 102753

Comparing tablet to tablet only, the difference is much less as it's ~1.4lb (likely a bit less without our security device attached).

Windows tablets with stylus (Wacom / N-trig) are rare in the market.

The main point here is that your requirement is even much lower than what Surface 3 can provide. Yes, you have made the wrong order just for having the stylus function. At this moment, Msft is not going to release even lower end devices and I don't think they will - Msft has to leave room for its OEM partners to sell lower-end devices at cheaper prices.

The Acer tablet is just far below the Surface 3 spec in almost every aspect. It just should not be compared with Surface 3.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
You could also consider the Dell Venue 10 Pro. Bit more expensive than the Acer for the 64GB but with dell coupons you still save money and have the option of adding a Wacom stylus later if you want and still come out cheaper than the S3.

Geodude074

Feb 12, 2014
Visit site
Go for the Asus T100 Chi, it has a 1920x1080 display and it's only $450 for the tablet+keyboard dock. Or if you can afford it, get the Asus T300 Chi which has an Intel Core M.

dirtyvu

Dec 23, 2010
Visit site
Yeah if you already have a SP3, the Surface 3 is redundant. Get the cheaper Acer for your lesser needs and when you want faster computing whip out the SP3.

WillysJeepMan

Aug 7, 2008
Visit site
Didn't take much convincing to get a Surface 3 pre-order out of me. I have the 256GB/8GB/i5 Surface Pro 3 now and after owning it since launch, it's clear that I just don't need a lot of power since my profession and life both revolve around extremely low-resource activities (writing code, creating websites, college homework... and BS'ing on the web). Even when I game, they're Windows Store games like BlazBlue, Order & Chaos and Rayman Jungle Run... which run fine even on the most modest of hardware.

Couldn't help but notice these past few years that Acer's trying extremely damn hard to separate themselves from their long-standing reputation of providing cheap, flimsy hardware. There's been some amazing laptops out of Acer lately, and this Aspire Switch 10 looks to be... undeniably badass.

View attachment 102742

...and after owning EVERY iteration of the Surface (and Surface Pro) ever made, the Switch 10 has me ever so greatly interested in something else. Same concept as the Surface lineup (and nearly the same weight as the Surface 3), but it actually has a really strong hinge mechanism to combat the complaint revolving around the Surface's 2-step adjustment.

The major thing though is that I can nab a brand new 64GB Aspire Switch 10 from Target for $329... keyboard included. I love having my work associated with the Surface brand, and the stylus has proven to be really handy for work/college... but thinking rationally: the Surface 3 honestly doesn't give me anything over it but the N-Trig stylus option... and it costs $499, $629 after the keyboard.

What does Windows Central think?
For background... I have owned a Surface RT and a Surface 2. Currently own an 11" MBA 4GB/128GB, 64GB iPad 4, Galaxy Tab 8.4 Pro, and Acer Aspire Switch 11.

I purchased the Aspire Switch 11 from the Microsoft online store for $449 (keyboard included, Core i3 processor). I've posted my review on the site (entitled, "Poor Man's Surface Pro 3")

The Switch line of devices are heavier than their Surface/iPad counterparts. They're not as thin or as light.

I love the hinge mechanism on the Switch. It works better for me than the kickstand on my Surface devices. For me it is more stable on my lap... be warned though that the Switch is a bit top-heavy and if tilted too far back it will tip back.

The build quality is really quite good. The Switch 11 has an active digitizer (Synaptics) and I use the 3rd Gen Dell Venue Pro 8 stylus with it.

Keep in mind that the Switch 10 @ Target has an Atom processor and no active stylus support. I think that the 64GB is going to be a bit of an issue if you plan on installing even a moderate number of apps. With those caveats in mind, I think that the Switch devices are well worth the money. I know that i'm having a blast with mine.

WillysJeepMan

Aug 7, 2008
Visit site
I continue to be impressed with the Switch 11. I've been using it for some heavy work and it has managed it quite well. One thing that I haven't used it for yet is presentations. I have been readjusting my workflow to use LibreOffice since it is cross-platform. Impress (presentation component of LibreOffice) doesn't seem to work as well as the other modules. If I can't get satisfactory results, I may need to go back to MS Office. (fine for my Windows-based devices, not so much for OSX)

My Surface RT and Surface 2 were terrific in that regard (presentations)... I'm sure that the Surface 3 would be as well.

ipaqman1

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site
I have both the Acer Switch 10 SW5-012 and the Asus T100 Chi both in 64GB versions.

I got the Switch during Christmas for $299 and the Chi recently for $449. I love both devices.

The Chi has a brighter higher resolution screen that supports an active stylus. I use the Dell A03 rev pen. The build quality is excellent. However, there is no visible way to get to any of the innards. The battery is a 30WH battery compared to the Switch 20WH battery. Also the Connected Standby power usage on the Chi can be as low as 0.4 percent per hour. The Switch uses about 1 percent per hour. The Chi has USB 3.0 microUSB port. BTW, not all USB 3.0 OTG cables provide USB 3.0 speed. You can use a standard smartphone powerpack to provide extra on the road power, but I have not needed it.

The Switch tilts back farther than the Chi in laptop mode. The Switch also has front facing speakers and a non-bluetooth keyboard so it is powered from the tablet. The Switch uses Gorilla glass 3 and has fingerprint resistant coating. But charges very fa t (less than 4 hours) but has a limited set of options for on the road. I use an 8000mah Energizer 12v-18v powerpack with Acer tip to provide extra on the road power. I have a slight preference for the Switch keyboard because of bigger keys and a slightly better touchpad.

I had considered the new Surface 3 but I use my 2 in 1's mostly in laptop mode on my lap and on my sofa arm. The Surface kickstand will not cut it

If I could only keep one of them, I would keep the Chi.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs