Help - How to buy the Surface 3?

thatdennis

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site
So for background info, I'm attending the University of Richmond, Richmond, Virginia this fall (around August 14) and I'm an international student. I want to buy the Surface 3, but am confused with several scenarios on how to buy it:

- First scenario is should I pre-order my Surface 3 through Microsoft's website to my university? The downside with this choice is I need to wait a long time, and would probably be able to buy around end of August since I'm adjusting to my new life.

- Another scenario is where I pre-order a Surface 3 using and send it to my brother (who's studying in a different univ.) who's returning July 1st. Downside to this is it's complicated, as my parents need to send him money again and I'm not sure he would be careful with it (he's a messy guy).

- Third scenario would be when I'm transiting in Washington's Dulles International Airport to Richmond International Airport. I could take a taxi to the nearest Microsoft store and buy it there. Problem with this is that it's quite unlikely that I get enough time to get it, and am not sure I will transit at Washington DIA.

- Last scenario is when I've settled in my university, I'll travel to the nearest Microsoft store. Thing I hate about this is the nearest Microsoft store is about a 2 hour walk, and though I'm willing to go that far if no other choice persists, I'd try to avoid this hassle.

P.S. I would like to avoid taxi's, as they are quite expensive. I mean I can afford it, but I try to avoid it as I need the money to buy other items, such as hangers, bed linens, dorm stuff.

P.S.S. Would like to try Uber as it's half the rate of normal taxi's, but is it reliable (both the WP app and the driver)? Anyone has experience with it? Thanks!

hotphil

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
My here is wherever I lay my hat. Currently Perth, Australia.
You should be able to find a retailer that will ship it internationally.
Or wait till you get to Richmond and buy it there. You'll probably not have to visit a Microsoft store - any nearby electronics retailer will do. I see a lot of mention of a chain called "Best Buy" for our American friends. There's probably a store somewhere on campus you can buy one (maybe with student discount once you're enrolled at the university).​

P_Devil

Apr 6, 2015
Visit site
There's also public transit options, like taking a bus. The process could very well take 2 hours but at least you are sitting down, you can listen to music (through your headphones), and it only costs $0.50. My experience with public transportation in Virginia was always pretty solid, a lot better than where I live now (Cincinnati).

The campus bookstore might also be selling the Surface 3 but I'm not sure if they will sell it at 10% off. My campus bookstore sells MacBooks and Surface Pro 3 units but none of them are discounted despite both Apple and Microsoft giving educational discounts on their systems. Best Buy would be an option but they don't offer student discounts, not at their retail stores. They only offer some student deals online but they aren't very good. There is another option but it requires a private membership: Costco (a huge store) is selling the 128GB Surface 3 with a Type Cover (dark red I believe) and Pen (silver) for $699. It's about the same as what everything added up would be with the educational discount. The only thing is that Costco has an annual membership fee. It would be worth it if you want to stock up on all sorts of food, supplies, clothing, etc. They sell things in bulk so you can spend $30 on toilet paper but the package would last you a whole year. Their membership costs $55 a year and more than pays for itself after your first visit or two.

Either way all of those options have you waiting until August whenever you get here. You will have plenty of options though. Worse comes to worst, take the bus to the mall where the Microsoft Store is and buy it yourself. Show them your student ID and you'll be able to buy the 128GB Surface 3 with any color Type Cover and any color Pen for ~$702 (not including sales tax, that will likely add about $50 to the purchase). The bus would be cheap, it will get you there, and you can relax without walking too far in an area you aren't familiar with.

alisaad619

May 8, 2014
Visit site
I think the best choice is to order it online from Microsoft store , as a student you'll get 10% discount and they will ship it for free (of course after you arrive to your university and get a student email or id so you can get the 10% discount)

hotphil

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Another thing to bear in mind is regional differences. For example, one sold in the US will (if it's US stock) come with US regional settings and (if purchased) a US keyboard layout on a type cover.
Whereas one purchased in the UK will come with a proper setup.​

thatdennis

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site
There's also public transit options, like taking a bus. The process could very well take 2 hours but at least you are sitting down, you can listen to music (through your headphones), and it only costs $0.50. My experience with public transportation in Virginia was always pretty solid, a lot better than where I live now (Cincinnati).

The campus bookstore might also be selling the Surface 3 but I'm not sure if they will sell it at 10% off. My campus bookstore sells MacBooks and Surface Pro 3 units but none of them are discounted despite both Apple and Microsoft giving educational discounts on their systems. Best Buy would be an option but they don't offer student discounts, not at their retail stores. They only offer some student deals online but they aren't very good. There is another option but it requires a private membership: Costco (a huge store) is selling the 128GB Surface 3 with a Type Cover (dark red I believe) and Pen (silver) for $699. It's about the same as what everything added up would be with the educational discount. The only thing is that Costco has an annual membership fee. It would be worth it if you want to stock up on all sorts of food, supplies, clothing, etc. They sell things in bulk so you can spend $30 on toilet paper but the package would last you a whole year. Their membership costs $55 a year and more than pays for itself after your first visit or two.

Either way all of those options have you waiting until August whenever you get here. You will have plenty of options though. Worse comes to worst, take the bus to the mall where the Microsoft Store is and buy it yourself. Show them your student ID and you'll be able to buy the 128GB Surface 3 with any color Type Cover and any color Pen for ~$702 (not including sales tax, that will likely add about $50 to the purchase). The bus would be cheap, it will get you there, and you can relax without walking too far in an area you aren't familiar with.

Bus... bus... I just checked maps and with the bus it's 4h 30min, lol I guess the only way is pre-ordering. Thanks for the help though, and if worst comes to worst Bestbuy/Costco it is.

I think the best choice is to order it online from Microsoft store , as a student you'll get 10% discount and they will ship it for free (of course after you arrive to your university and get a student email or id so you can get the 10% discount)

Yeah I think so too now.

Another thing to bear in mind is regional differences. For example, one sold in the US will (if it's US stock) come with US regional settings and (if purchased) a US keyboard layout on a type cover.
Whereas one purchased in the UK will come with a proper setup.​

Yep great reminder, though I'm used to the US keyboard so its fine. Thanks for the help bud!

Man0fSteel

Jun 18, 2013
Visit site
Uber in Richmond shouldn't be too expensive - certainly cheaper than a Taxi.

You never know, by the time August rolls around they may have some back-to-school promotions. Including a cover, or a pen. I'd honestly wait since you're waiting anyway. Plus, if they're sold out everywhere shortly after they launch, they should be widely in stock by August.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon