Power cover with surface 3?

3earnhardt3

Oct 19, 2012
Visit site
Am I the only one thinking about using the power cover with the surface 3? The only issue is that the power cover is about 1/2 inch too wide, but the height matches perfectly. I would love to have 15+ hours of battery life. Also in the USA the power cover can be had for half the price of the s3 Type Cover on Amazon.

alisaad619

May 8, 2014
Visit site
since the Surface 3 have micro-USB charging I think it's better to get a battery pack , so you can have a light ,thin and matching keyboard all the time ,and carry the battery pack when you want the extra power

3earnhardt3

Oct 19, 2012
Visit site
I just re-read the reddit AMA, the question was asked but not answered. I'm sure someone on here with a power cover will try it eventually.

Man0fSteel

Jun 18, 2013
Visit site
Anyone have any pictures of the keyboard connection? The two posts would indicate whether it has the built-in connection needed for the power cover.

jvloyola

Dec 25, 2012
Visit site
The power cover doesn't wirk with the s3 it doesn't have the pins o receive the charge

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

P_Devil

Apr 6, 2015
Visit site
jvloyola is correct. The Power Cover for the Surface Pro/Surface 2 does not work with the Surface 3 at all. It can snap into place and both the keyboard and trackpad will work but the Surface 3 won't see an additional battery because the unit itself lacks the power pins on the bottom (Microsoft took them away).

You can, however, buy a portable power bank. I have a 15000 mAh one I purchased from Amazon for $17. It outputs up to 3.1 amps (10 watts) when using one port or 2.1 A 5W and 1 A 5W when using both USB ports at the same time. It holds enough to completely recharge the Surface 3 once. I tried it out yesterday when my Surface 3 was at 15% battery left and it worked just fine. The battery bank is about the size of a Note 4 and charges via micro USB. Well worth the money and it's a much better, more portable option than carrying around a Power Cover.

1AmericanMuse

Feb 28, 2016
Visit site
I suspect they're waiting for oodles of powerless keyboard covers to be sold, before bringing out the rechargeable, powered ones, eh? Sell 'em again, ha? Too cynical maybe...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGlucoPremium