Surface 3 Bugs and Defects

chrisinvermont

Jan 29, 2013
Visit site
So just got my Surface 3 this morning. Great unit but one minor issue that is turning into a major headache. Went to look and saw there was no bugs and defects thread yet. Figured I'd start one now that units are in the wild.

My issue - micro USB charging cord was bad out of the box. Power brick works fine with 2 other micro usb cords and the Surface cord doesn't work in other power bricks. Luckily I have other cords so not a big issue.

The frustrating part is dealing with Microsoft. Spent almost a half hour on chat and then they wanted me to download and run more diagnostic software. At this point I was 5 minutes late to a meeting so we set up a call for later. Call came in right on time but after the 3rd attempt for the rep to send me a code to verify who I was, I just hung up. He sent 3 codes but then couldn't get into the system on his end to verify the codes. It's just not worth my time to deal with this when I have other cords to use.

3earnhardt3

Oct 19, 2012
Visit site
I'm having some wonky charging issues, possibly cord or brick related, haven't had time to debug yet. Mine looks like it is charging but stops without changing the notification LED on the cord. Wake up the tablet only to find out it is only marginally charged.

lordbendrix

May 2, 2015
Visit site
Mine had a scratched screen out of the box. Was on with support for 3 hours. All idiots. Finally I got one brilliant man- Jared - who knew what he was doing. I am sending back the old one, and a new one is being overnighted to me. Can't believe I had a scratched screen!

onkel_axel

May 29, 2014
Visit site
Mine had a scratched screen out of the box. Was on with support for 3 hours. All idiots. Finally I got one brilliant man- Jared - who knew what he was doing. I am sending back the old one, and a new one is being overnighted to me. Can't believe I had a scratched screen!

feels bad man
poor worker at pegatron :D

chrisinvermont

Jan 29, 2013
Visit site
I'm having some wonky charging issues, possibly cord or brick related, haven't had time to debug yet. Mine looks like it is charging but stops without changing the notification LED on the cord. Wake up the tablet only to find out it is only marginally charged.

This is where I am at this morning as well. Guess I will have to take the time for them to run some diagnostics! Didn't have a lot of time to play around with it last night but so far it's nice. Had an issue with the kindle book I was reading on my ipad couldn't be run in windows 8 kindle. Ran fine on the windows 7 desktop version. Overall very pleased and glad to be able to dump the old ipad. It'll be interesting to see how it compares to the SP3 when I try CAD and Lightroom.

Euell Gibbons

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
Picked mine up at Best Buy yesterday. Tablet got frozen on the lock screen after finishing installation of the initial updates. Had to hard power-off and restart. After that, though, everything seems to work well.

hpham72

Mar 10, 2015
Visit site
I'm also having charging issues. Mine will say "plugged in, not charging". I've tried uninstalling the driver for the "Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery" device but that doesn't seem to work. So far the only reliable way I can charge is to turn the device off while charging overnight. Any suggestions out there?

dudejoe

May 6, 2015
Visit site
-hpham72

- I had that issue myself when I was driving back home. We had the Surface plugged into the USB port of the radio, and a DC to USB in the car.
Are you using anything non-official to charge it, if you are try the normal cords. Otherwise updates if you haven't done them and restart.

Kodiak12

Apr 9, 2015
Visit site
This is where MS could take a page from Apple's playbook. Especially since they don't have a plethora of retail outlets available to most people.

This post is no help but I feel your frustration my friend.

Wildo6882

Apr 27, 2015
Visit site
I haven't had a chance to try to charge mine yet, but I'll report if I have charging issues. I wonder what could be the cause? Hope it's just faulty cords or charging bricks.

chrisinvermont

Jan 29, 2013
Visit site
Use the online self service instead. They'll ship you another cord without asking any questions.

Where is this site? I could not find it. Spent another 45 minutes on chat tonight and they are going to get back to me tomorrow. They agree that it's most likely the cord. I've done all updates. They said if it's was the port on the surface, it wouldn't ever charge. I'm at a loss as to why it's going into day 3 and almo2 hours working with MS and I'm nowhere.

4everForever

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
I'm also having charging issues. Mine will say "plugged in, not charging". I've tried uninstalling the driver for the "Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery" device but that doesn't seem to work. So far the only reliable way I can charge is to turn the device off while charging overnight. Any suggestions out there?

I had the exact same problem with my previous surface 2. What I did to solve the problem was that I turned off the tablet and left it for 30 minutes, then plugged in the charger with the tablet still off. I found this solution online and it worked on my surface 2.

This is the thread I posted on windows central forum for my surface 2's problem last time:
http://forums.windowscentral.com/microsoft-surface-2/294101-help-plugged-not-charging-issue.html

ALToronto

Apr 9, 2014
Visit site
I had problems opening pdf files. Adobe Reader would launch, and proceed to show blank pages. So far, I've had to use Drawboard pdf to view the contents. I hope an update fixes it soon.

Wildo6882

Apr 27, 2015
Visit site
I had the exact same problem with my previous surface 2. What I did to solve the problem was that I turned off the tablet and left it for 30 minutes, then plugged in the charger with the tablet still off. I found this solution online and it worked on my surface 2.

This is the thread I posted on windows central forum for my surface 2's problem last time:
http://forums.windowscentral.com/microsoft-surface-2/294101-help-plugged-not-charging-issue.html
Was this something you had to do every time you charged the S2?

dudejoe

May 6, 2015
Visit site
Self service is only for pen loops and tips, it has been like that for a while (at least in the states) to prevent scammers. You need to contact Surface support via phone or chat and they can assist. It's that you need to state what you have done, and go with any new steps they need you to perform as this is a new product and I am sure they will be wanting to track these cases so they can prevent them in the future.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss