Dreadful wifi performance

joshmyzie2

May 13, 2015
Visit site
I just got my Surface 3 in the mail, and everything is great.. except for the wifi.

At first it wouldn't even connect to my router. Only after moving to within 10ft of it, did it connect. It shows full bars, but download speeds were irregular with lots of packet loss, maxing at around 100KB/s. If I moved 20ft away (still within line of sight) or into the next room, the signal would usually be lost.

The router is old (only 802.11 b/g), but all my other devices (android phone, chromebook, old windows netbook, etc.) have no problems. The Surface 3 shows it as connected via 802.11g. Any idea what could be wrong? Any drivers I could try or weird power saving features I could disable?

EDIT: I just connected my Surface 3 to my android phone from the other side of the house and the connection seems fine (4G internet tethered through phone's 802.11n wifi), so it seems to be specific to my router or at least 802.11g.

Last edited:

onlysublime

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
is your router set to G only? if it's set to B/G, you should set it to G only so at least the network is faster and the signal is a bit stronger. And if you get it to B/G because you have some legacy devices on the network, you should considering removing them from the network or having a dedicated B router and a dedicated G router.

Also, if it's a B/G router, then it's at least a few years old. Maybe the hardware is starting to die. G is quite a number of years ago. Then N. Now AC. And soon we're going to be at AX.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moocher720