Bought Surface 3 - Regrettably returned.

roop27

May 14, 2015
Visit site
Purchased a Surface 3 a couple of days ago and found it just wasnt for me. Thats not to say its not a fantastic bit of kit (my first surface) it just wasnt what i require for the following reasons

- Battery Life: A lot of people are claiming the slow charging and I for one couldnt cope. Maybe it can be fixed in the future with a software update and i will reconsider in the future

- Weight: It seems to me the surface was built to be used at a desk. I predominantly use a tablet in landscape so being unable to reach the keyboard whilst standing and moving was something i struggled to cope with. The weight of the device then made it difficult to hold with one hand and type with the other after a while.

- Chrome: I know this has nothing to do with Microsoft. I know IE was available but i couldnt stand having to press the keyboard button every time i wanted to type and then close the keyboard (i bought the surface as a tablet more than a laptop). A little nitpicky but annoying none the less. I use chrome on every device i have so it didn't make sense to use IE. Chrome ran like an absolute nutsack compared to IE.

- Kickstand - i found it quick uncomfortable typing with my wrists so extended due to the angle the kickstand allows. You can tell the kickstand was build with the type cover in mind.

I actually regret returning the device and tried to adapt myself to it, but in the end it was too uncomfortable. I'm hoping windows 10 will make this the ultimate machine in which case i will probably buy the surface 4 to actually replace my laptop and use at a desk rather than a walk around tablet. I didn't plan to do much productivity on the device which is why it never made sense for me in the first place, but i couldnt resist.

Hope this helps people on the fence. I'll stick with my Nexus 9 for now.

rory753

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
the nexus 9 looks like a great device, the same with the ipad air 2. I wish the surface 3 had the same weight as the nexus 9 (425grams versus the surface 3's 622 grams), but that would probably mean cutting it down to the sub 9" display, while I prefer the 10"+ display of the surface 3.

in you're talk about IE versus chrome, it sounds like you were using the desktop version of IE versus the metro version. the metro/modern version is much better (although definitely not perfect) when using the surface as a tablet. I hope that windows 10 makes this distinction no longer necessary with the new edge browser.

regarding kickstand/typing, I think it's interesting that msft prices their type keyboard so high, when it's definitely not worth that much. look at the new Bluetooth keyboard msft put out. it cost $70, completely separate, can control both your phone and your surface, and you can orient the surface in portrait mode while typing. it's as if msft doesn't want you to buy the type cover. If a person is looking to buy a surface, I would say to buy the surface alone, and then figure out which keyboard you want after the fact. another perspective is that if you buy a nexus 9 or ipad, a keyboard is not so prevalent when you're buying it. it's just a given that you're going to use the screen.

why I kept with the surface 3 is mainly because of the screen size/aspect ratio, pen, and integration with onenote. the nexus and ipad don't really offer this, and I've come to depend on it for things I do day to day. other options exist, like galaxy note, but I don't trust Samsung's update record, like my note 8 doesn't look like its going to get lollipop anytime soon for some reason.

I think the surface 3 is a very capable device, but yeah, if you're looking for a light/super portable device, its going to feel a little bit hefty. for that, I like my 8" asus note(wish it was a surface mini). I think if someone was looking for a super portable windows device, I would steer them towards a Lenovo thinkpad 8, or possibly the yoga 8. from what I've seen, they're nice portable lightweight devices with a good aspect ratio, but can still scale to a larger screen if needed.

Stiv X

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site
I love my Surface 3. It is a shame it didn't work for you. Yet, no device is for everyone. So, thanks for trying it out and giving your opinion on it.

roop27

May 14, 2015
Visit site
Believe you me...if windows 10 fixes these issues and edge is better than chrome...I'll be getting a surface again. Just not what I need right now

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

Stiv X

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site
Chrome is a Google virus. I'm not the biggest fan of ie, but I hate how chrome kills battery life, processing power, and allows Google to scroogle people. Firefox is my choice as all. Hopefully, edge will end up being something special

illegaloperation

Nov 18, 2010
Visit site
1. Windows 8 has a split keyboard:
IDPKI.png

2. Chrome automatically opens the keyboard.

3. The kickstand on the Surface 3 may not provide the best angle for typing, but the Nexus 9 doesn't even have a kickstand.

​The Surface 3 may not be for everyone, but I am not sure you've returned it for the right reasons.

Last edited:

webkrawler

Dec 6, 2013
Visit site
Yes, verified. In desktop mode using Chrome when you tap on an open text box the keyboard pops up automatically. Seems to work only when you TAP on a box using the touch interface. Will NOT work if you are using a mouse.

roop27

May 14, 2015
Visit site
I think Chrome automatically launches the keyboard whenever you want to type something.

It does...but then the whole browsing experience sucks. And when you multi window, every time you open the keyboard the windows adjust and don't adjust back.

zack251

Jan 22, 2013
Visit site
You should try this handy software TouchMousePointer - virtual touchpad (on-screen mouse)
It automatically adjust the Windows everytime you open and close the keyboard. You can even make the keyboard transparent.

It does...but then the whole browsing experience sucks. And when you multi window, every time you open the keyboard the windows adjust and don't adjust back.

Montpbm

Jun 9, 2012
Visit site
I'm sorry, but for me I would not buy another Android device; it's not a good experience at all. I love my old Surface tablet so I know I'll love the new Surface 3.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
Its not for everybody and many times it takes going at this thing a few times before you acclimate yourself to how it functions. I have co-workers that constantly talk about how putting your actual fingers on the screen is like the most terrible idea ever conceived. "Gorilla Arms" is what they call it. An idea born out of the same people that created that movie Reefer Madness.

Anyway, my question is, why do you say you regret returning it? Were you forced at gunpoint? Was your job on the line? Some unexpected bill show up in the mail? Why do you say you regret taking a computer back to the store?

onlysublime

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
- Chrome: I know this has nothing to do with Microsoft. I know IE was available but i couldnt stand having to press the keyboard button every time i wanted to type and then close the keyboard (i bought the surface as a tablet more than a laptop). A little nitpicky but annoying none the less. I use chrome on every device i have so it didn't make sense to use IE. Chrome ran like an absolute nutsack compared to IE.

I have all 3 browsers installed (IE, Firefox, and Chrome). I still leave IE as the default browser so that I can access the Modern version of IE. However, I still have full access to the other browsers. If you choose Chrome or Firefox as the default browser, you CANNOT access Modern IE. So in my case, I primarily use Firefox even though IE is set as the default.

If you use Modern IE, you get a pretty fast browser, great touch, great smooth scrolling, great pinch to zoom, a great reading mode, great font scaling, etc. It also pops up the touch keyboard automatically when a text field is selected. Also, Modern IE has a feature I LOVE and wish other browsers have: the ability to go back and forward by swiping the screen rather than hitting a back button. The disadvantages is it doesn't support Silverlight and some other things. And it doesn't properly cache pages sometimes so when you hit the back button, it sometimes reloads the entire page. And it doesn't support extensions. That's why I primarily use Firefox.

I can't stand desktop IE for touch primarily for the reason you listed: having to tap the keyboard icon to get the touch keyboard.

I used to be a big Chrome supporter but it's gotten worse over the years. It took them forever to have proper font scaling (looked so ugly compared to FF and IE). Since Edge is benchmarking better than Chrome, I'm so excited to try it in its final version.

There are a lot of reason to make Chrome a secondary or tertiary browser:
Why I'm breaking up with Google Chrome
**** It, I'm Going Back to Firefox
Chrome is still a threat to your MacBook's battery | The Verge

Chrome kills your battery life. It's a memory and resource hog. I know people stick to what they're used to but seriously, Chrome has become a dog.

Dos101

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site

I've been using Chrome on my Surface 3 and have had absolutely no issues with it. It's been generally fast and smooth, I would say on par with IE. Firefox is my goto browser but zooming was laggy and in general was slow, so I switched to Chrome and haven't looked back.

I imagine a lot of the quirks you're experiencing with Chrome (like the on-screen keyboard) are due to it being a desktop application and not a modern app that would be optimized for touch. if you're looking for just a tablet there are probably other options out there, but if you're looking for a tablet that runs a full OS then, no matter which Windows tablet you choose, you'll get pretty much the same experience. It's all in the software.

eusty

Jun 1, 2014
Visit site
Also, Modern IE has a feature I LOVE and wish other browsers have: the ability to go back and forward by swiping the screen rather than hitting a back button.

You mean like Chrome??? :smile: That's one thing I miss about it, but you can configure pen flicks to take you forward and back. I realise the Surface doesn't come with the pen, but I don't see how you can use it without one?

Yazen

Banned
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Anyway, my question is, why do you say you regret returning it? Were you forced at gunpoint? Was your job on the line? Some unexpected bill show up in the mail? Why do you say you regret taking a computer back to the store?

I was wondering the same thing. Seems as though he regrets purchasing the device in the first place, but does not want to offend the more "accustomed" users :p

Yazen

Banned
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
If you're using a 64bit version of Windows, and your browser is not Pale Moon, then you have a problem ;)
Mozilla Firefox based, 64bit, and most importantly, "Hamburger Free"

EDIT: On a more serious note, give Pale Moon a chance. Only con is that 32bit plugins like Google Hangouts do not work .. There is a 32bit version for this

Somerichs

Apr 18, 2013
Visit site
I like my 8" asus note(wish it was a surface mini). I think if someone was looking for a super portable windows device, I would steer them towards a Lenovo thinkpad 8, or possibly the yoga 8. .

Would you steer them to Asus? How is build and durability? I've been seriously considering the Asus vivotab 8 (not the vivotab note), which is $149 in MS store with 2gb ram and office 365 for a year. 8" screen. Debating between it and a surface...

Yazen

Banned
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Would you steer them to Asus? How is build and durability? I've been seriously considering the Asus vivotab 8 (not the vivotab note), which is $149 in MS store with 2gb ram and office 365 for a year. 8" screen. Debating between it and a surface...

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bevitalglucopre