Bought Surface 3 - Regrettably returned.

Yazen

Banned
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Would you steer them to Asus? How is build and durability? I've been seriously considering the Asus vivotab 8 (not the vivotab note), which is $149 in MS store with 2gb ram and office 365 for a year. 8" screen. Debating between it and a surface...

Your response is scared me! In no universe is vivotab comparable to s3.

http://www.microcenter.com/product/440932/TW802_Tablet_-_Black

This one was $50, and don't let the brand fool you. 100* better warranty. Heck, even the build quality is superior!

roop27

May 14, 2015
Visit site
Its not for everybody and many times it takes going at this thing a few times before you acclimate yourself to how it functions. I have co-workers that constantly talk about how putting your actual fingers on the screen is like the most terrible idea ever conceived. "Gorilla Arms" is what they call it. An idea born out of the same people that created that movie Reefer Madness.

Anyway, my question is, why do you say you regret returning it? Were you forced at gunpoint? Was your job on the line? Some unexpected bill show up in the mail? Why do you say you regret taking a computer back to the store?

Regret may be the wrong word. Disappointed would be fairer. I was so excited about the s3. Just a shame I couldn't get accustomed to it. Like I mentioned I wanted it primarily as a tablet. And the battery issues were a big factor. Otherwise its a great device

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

roop27

May 14, 2015
Visit site
I was wondering the same thing. Seems as though he regrets purchasing the device in the first place, but does not want to offend the more "accustomed" users :p

Offending users is nothing to do with it. If I wanted to do that my post would have been much different. And like I mentioned I'm not writing off a future purchase. Just not what I need right now.

Yazen

Banned
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Offending users is nothing to do with it. If I wanted to do that my post would have been much different. And like I mentioned I'm not writing off a future purchase. Just not what I need right now.

??
Not saying you meant to offend users.

rory753

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Would you steer them to Asus? How is build and durability? ..

The Asus vivotab note that I have is not the best build quality. Yes, there is a difference in quality between a 150 tablet and a 500 tablet. It's not to say it's lousy, it's just not as good.
When looking at the Asus, look at the screen specs, the outputs, the processor. The Lenovo, on paper, beats the Asus. I also like the design of the yoga. But I'm thinking of an 8"tablet. Going to a 10" tablet I'd still go with a surface 3.

DalekSnare

Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
You mean like Chrome??? :smile: That's one thing I miss about it, but you can configure pen flicks to take you forward and back. I realise the Surface doesn't come with the pen, but I don't see how you can use it without one?

I never use the pen for anything besides handwriting, it's super awkward to need it for things that should be touch (like browsing). That's why the iPhone killed all the pocket pcs. Pens are fantastic as a way to input handwriting, but they aren't supposed to be used to return to the bad old days of needing a stylus for everything.

Tsang Fai

Aug 11, 2014
Visit site
Surface 3 should be the lightest 2-in-1 Windows tablets with >10" screen size. It is indeed very light, even for holding for a long period of time.

Concerning battery life, if you are using the original charger (or a charger with the same output current), charging should not be slow. I think those people observing slow charging are using charger with insufficient current.

"being unable to reach the keyboard whilst standing and moving was something i struggled to cope with" - I can only say your use case is very rare. When standing up, one should use the virtual keyboard. When moving, one should better stop using the tablet at all. This is an intrinsic limitation of using a tablet. This is nothing to do with Surface 3.

Seems that your dissatisfaction is not too relevant to Surface 3 - your requirements (desktop apps + super light + keyboard +...) just cannot be fulfilled by any device nowadays. Maybe a traditional tablet mainly for content consumption is what you need.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
Regret may be the wrong word. Disappointed would be fairer. I was so excited about the s3. Just a shame I couldn't get accustomed to it. Like I mentioned I wanted it primarily as a tablet. And the battery issues were a big factor. Otherwise its a great device

I read it goes for 8 hours of use. What did you read?

onlysublime

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
You mean like Chrome??? :smile: That's one thing I miss about it, but you can configure pen flicks to take you forward and back. I realise the Surface doesn't come with the pen, but I don't see how you can use it without one?

People still use pen flicks??? I haven't used that since my HP TX2000 days. Using a pen to navigate is pretty awkward because it either means you have to hold a pen during your entire experience. Or pick it up when you want to use it. Better to use a finger swipe.

eusty

Jun 1, 2014
Visit site
Quite the opposite, I find using the pen easier than trying to tap with my finger.
The modern apps are fine, but using traditional w32 ones can be a pain.

I guess this will change with w10 :)

Somerichs

Apr 18, 2013
Visit site
Your response is scared me! In no universe is vivotab comparable to s3.

http://www.microcenter.com/product/440932/TW802_Tablet_-_Black

This one was $50, and don't let the brand fool you. 100* better warranty. Heck, even the build quality is superior!

Hopefully they offer it again.

I was a little hasty in my earlier response. I have no illusions that the vivotab's build quality would match the S3. I'm just indecisive between a S3, SP3, maybe seeing what a SP4 brings to the table, or going for some kind of ultrabook.

In the meantime, I'm thinking of the vivotab as a stop gap: Good size, good memory, inexpensive. If it's not a total piece of crap it seems like it would be a great consumption device.

I'll also now consider that microcenter one, too, thank you. Even not on sale that's a great price.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
He missed the $50 deal for the Winbook 8" :(((

Possibly, the OP did or may have looked at it before getting the Surface 3 - we can only speculate :p.

Pity, it's only available in store in the US only, would've picked up one myself had it been available in the UK.

Yazen

Banned
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Possibly, the OP did or may have looked at it before getting the Surface 3 - we can only speculate :p.

Pity, it's only available in store in the US only, would've picked up one myself had it been available in the UK.

Microcenter USA just slaps the WinBook branding on the devices. Surely they must be available on Chinese e-Commerce

Dos101

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
the next step up I want is an intel core m 7-8" device with usb 3 port and pen support. For $50.

The cheapest Core M CPU is $281 (MSRP), plus active digitizers aren't cheap. $50 for that kind of tablet will be a pipe dream for a while lol. Man would I want one though!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos