Has anyone turned the swap file off?

hpham72

Mar 10, 2015
Visit site
The knock on the S3 is the slow MMC storage speed. I have the higher end version with 4gb memory. I noticed that the S3 only allocated about 9 mb to a swab file. I also noticed that, every time I checked, I was only using about 2.2 gb of memory out of 4 gb. So, just to eliminate any chance that the MMC speed could slow things down for me (and I do notice moments of sluggishness), I got rid of the swap file completely. Has anyone else done this? If so, did you notice a difference? Are there any concerns I should be worried about? Thanks.

cygnus11

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
I haven't removed the swap file, but I have been monitoring it. I have noticed that my swap file size changes significantly over time. It has been fairly small (around 500 mb) at times, but has also grown to over 4 gb. I don't quite understand how it works, but I just assumed that it should be managed by the OS and not disabled. Sorry I'm not much help, but I hope others can answer your question and provide more info on swap file management.

hpham72

Mar 10, 2015
Visit site
Perhaps the reason my swap file remains small is because l don't use my S3 for more than Office, Chrome and DrawboardPDF?
I've removed the swap file on my laptop running Windows 7 and it runs great. But it has 8 gb of ram.
So far my swap file free S3 is running well! Not sure if it's my imagination but it seems snappier.

onlysublime

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
Let's keep things in perspective. When we talk about the "slow" eMMC, we are comparing it to SSDs. The eMMC is still fast, especially when you compare it to HDDs.

It's better to just let Windows manage the swap file. If the S3 had 8 GB, you could get by without a swap file (of course, you wouldn't be able to store crash dumps) but with only 4GB and 2GB of RAM in the S3, it's better to have the swap file on. The only time you actually use the swap file is if your system crashes or if the memory usage exceeds your RAM. I'm surprised you didn't run into issues after opening a few tabs in Chrome while working in Office.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuffster