Who uses Android for Phones and has a Surface 3?

Wildo6882

Apr 27, 2015
Visit site
I'm debating on the Chromebook Pixel or a Surface 3 for my personal computing device. I'm also an Android guy and love everything Google. Just curious as to who is firmly invested in Google and uses a Surface 3? What do you think about the combo? Thanks!

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
A Surface 3 is a PC in tablet form. Almost everybody who has an Android phone also has a PC. So the direct answer to your question:

Just curious as to who is firmly invested in Google and uses a Surface 3?

Is: almost everybody.

Wildo6882

Apr 27, 2015
Visit site
A Surface 3 is a PC in tablet form. Almost everybody who has an Android phone also has a PC. So the direct answer to your question:

Is: almost everybody.

I guess a better question would have been who is all about Android but uses a Surface 3 for both their tablet and PC?

Stiv X

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site
I guess a better question would have been who is all about Android but uses a Surface 3 for both their tablet and PC?

I used to use Android phones. I switched to WP in Feb. I can tell you that the S3 is phenomenal. It is a full PC, and because of that you can load and run an Android simulator on the S3. Try doing that for Windows on the Chromebook.

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
I used to use Android phones. I switched to WP in Feb. I can tell you that the S3 is phenomenal. It is a full PC, and because of that you can load and run an Android simulator on the S3. Try doing that for Windows on the Chromebook.
Do you use bluestacks? Or is it something else?

Stiv X

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site
I use AMIDuOS on S3. I used Bluestacks on my desktop awhile ago, but it was always laggy for me for some reason.

Wildo6882

Apr 27, 2015
Visit site

Yeah, the S3 definitely has a wider range of capabilities compared to a Chromebook. But at the same time, for ease of use purposes, the Chromebook definitely has that one covered. With an education discount, I could actually get a 4GB S3, Type Cover, Pen, and the protection plan for about $200 less than the Pixel. So I'd be saving money, too.

akin_t

Sep 30, 2014
Visit site
I'm debating on the Chromebook Pixel or a Surface 3 for my personal computing device. I'm also an Android guy and love everything Google. Just curious as to who is firmly invested in Google and uses a Surface 3? What do you think about the combo? Thanks!

If you're even considering a Pixel, chances are you have your mind already made up. Nobody buys a Pixel because they need it, they buy it because they want it (nothing wrong with that).

Wildo6882

Apr 27, 2015
Visit site
If you're even considering a Pixel, chances are you have your mind already made up. Nobody buys a Pixel because they need it, they buy it because they want it (nothing wrong with that).

Oh yeah, either one of these options is a want, not a need. We have a family laptop and iPad that the kids use, I just want a personal device for myself. I'm actually leaning Surface 3 for portability and the overall package. I'm also looking into switching my phone to iOS, so I am looking a little bit at Macs, but that's a whole new animal for me that I'm not sure if I'm ready to jump into that right now.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I am looking a little bit at Macs, but that's a whole new animal for me that I'm not sure if I'm ready to jump into that right now.

I just purchased a Macbook Pro. I've used Windows all my adult life. I work in IT as a Microsoft MCP, so I am very familiar with Windows. It was time to replace my personal laptop, and I was ready for a change of scenery (at home that is; I still use Windows exclusively at work). The MBP I bought needed repaired, which was the only way I could afford it! :amaze: So I started off by fixing, and I upgraded it while I was at it.

There is a learning curve; that's for sure! My personal use of a computer is on the light side, so I don't miss software that's on Windows but not OS X. There are some things I like about OS X, and there are some things I prefer about Windows. Overall, I would not say that one is better than the other. They're different, with different strengths and weaknesses. I am enjoying the experience of learning something different.

Whatever you decide on, have fun!

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I just purchased a Macbook Pro. I've used Windows all my adult life. I work in IT as a Microsoft MCP, so I am very familiar with Windows. It was time to replace my personal laptop, and I was ready for a change of scenery (at home that is; I still use Windows exclusively at work). The MBP I bought needed repaired, which was the only way I could afford it! :amaze: So I started off by fixing, and I upgraded it while I was at it.

There is a learning curve; that's for sure! My personal use of a computer is on the light side, so I don't miss software that's on Windows but not OS X. There are some things I like about OS X, and there are some things I prefer about Windows. Overall, I would not say that one is better than the other. They're different, with different strengths and weaknesses. I am enjoying the experience of learning something different.

Do you use Parallels or BootCamp?

Sent from my rooted Nexus 7 (2013) using Tapatalk

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Do you use Parallels or BootCamp?

Sent from my rooted Nexus 7 (2013) using Tapatalk
Neither; I use OS X. I do have one Windows program I need on my MacBook, so after experimenting with different options I ended up using Crossover. You're probably familiar with it since it also has a Linux version.

Sent from whatever device I happen to be using today using Tapatalk

luv2skipow

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
Isn't the rumor that Windows 10 might allow for Android apps to be run without an emulator?
I thought I heard that even access to the Google Play store might eventually occur.

If this is the case - problem solved.

Wildo6882

Apr 27, 2015
Visit site

If I end up going to iOS for phone, I'll probably weasel my way into a Mac, just for Handoff. But if I'm staying Android, which I bet is most likely because I've been with them for years (although I have dabbled into iOS a bit here and there), then I'll go with the S3. Mac would definitely be a big change for me. I haven't used an Apple computer since grade school back on the Apple 2e and 2c.

ClintRo

May 28, 2015
Visit site
IMO I have a lot of Android devices (Phone, Tablet, Chromebook not the pixel though) and I think the S3 is the next best thing since sliced bread. I love the form factor and speed but full on windows when you need it. I can't wait for the windows app store to catch up or for you to be able to run android apps on Win 10.

LouCap

May 30, 2015
Visit site
I use a MBP at work, but had several Galaxy tablets, and Android phones for personal use. Then I picked up a little Asus T-100 tablet as a refurb online...and everything changed. I loved the Win 8 OS, particularly the modern desktop with the touch screen. Even as underpowered as that little Asus was, it ran very smoothly. So, I figured if that was good, how much BETTER the S3 must be, and I was right. Of course, then I thought,"well, if I like this OS on a tablet/PC, what about on a phone?" So, I ordered a Blu Win HD LTE for $199, and loved it. Of course, I then had to preorder the new Lumia 640 XL.

Suffice to say, I was a Mac/Android guy, but I'm quickly developing a deep appreciation for all things Windows. Do I miss some things from iOS, or Android? Sometimes. But, in this one device I have the best of both worlds. BTW, I have a Chromebook somewhere... it was amusing for a short while.

GSOgymrat

May 15, 2012
Visit site
I have a Surface Pro 3 and a Galaxy Note Edge. I love the Surface but wish it had more apps. The Galaxy Note Edge... meh, it does the job. With dwindling apps Surface seems more like a laptop than a tablet. I am hoping Windows 10 will improve the apps situation because I would love to return to Windows Phone and have everything be one ecosystem.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bradhism