06-23-2015 08:32 PM
27 12
tools
    Perhaps it is a Steinberg problem but I installed my first S3 program: Wavelab 8 to do a simple format conversion of an audio file. Total disaster and nothing works right. Crash... stall. The program requires elicense with Steinberg elicense USB device. That seems to work fine. The actual program: Disaster, crash force shutdown multiple times. Really irritated now.
    06-11-2015 09:35 PM
    One important thing I'll add. When S3Pro was announced I order one and unfortunately the i5 version was the only format available. I installed Steinberg Cubase and Wavelab. Both worked fine but Cubase ran out of gas trying to run my audio projects. I was not surprised. It was pushing the envelope of S3Pro i5. The fan noise was audibly really irritating. A Lenovo Thinkpad W540 worked perfectly for my needs and continues to.
    06-11-2015 10:09 PM
    Surface 4 Pro? Anybody?
    06-11-2015 10:25 PM
    Too far off imo

The Atom in the Surface 3 carries a passmark score 500 points higher than my laptops cpu which can run all of Adobe CS6.
    06-11-2015 10:53 PM
    And the point is? As I stated, perhaps a Steinberg issue but Wavelab ( a simple program I could use beyond S2) does not run on this machine. Disappointed to say the least. ATOM take 2 is disappointing in MY Real World.
    06-11-2015 11:06 PM
    Atom has been a the POS of every Intel release for years. The lowest of the low is just a little higher than last time.
    06-11-2015 11:09 PM
    Surface 3 does meet the system requirement for Wavelab 8.5. I am not sure what the problem is.

Windows 7 / Windows 8

Intel or AMD dual core CPU

Windows compatible audio hardware*

2 GB RAM

1 GB of free HD space

Display resolution of 1024 x 768 recommended

DVD-ROM drive required for installation

USB port for USB-eLicenser (not required for WaveLab Elements)

Internet connection required for license activation and grace period update download
    06-11-2015 11:20 PM
    Except is obviously doesn't work. I am not saying it is a S3 vs Steinberg problem but it is a problem because it does not work.
    06-11-2015 11:26 PM
    Try doing a "refresh my PC" and reinstall the program.
    06-11-2015 11:42 PM
    I'd get clarification on what they actually mean by dual core lol
    06-12-2015 12:15 AM
    Not sure if this applies 100%, but I watched this video before I bought my S3. The guy in this compares the S3 to the SP3 for use in audio production using a variety of programs.
    theefman likes this.
    06-12-2015 07:00 AM
    I would check with Steinberg. I had some issues trying to get Wavelab running on a couple of different windows machines due to issues with the USB Dongle including BSOD's caused by the USB security driver which I didn't get resolved. Had a similar issue with ProTools licence dongle which tech support suggested reinstall windows and only run ProTools on the machine nothing else. It seems to do with how often the software checks the dongle some just seems to check occasionally others constantly check
    Personally I just use Audition or Audacity for a lot of wav editing. Audition or Reaper for Multitrack recordings and not had a single issue. If you are recording with USB capture these USB security dongles these can cause a lot of crashes on the Audio buses. Not played with a Surface yet hoping to get my hands on one next week for some testing so I'll have a check out with some audio programs and see what its like.
    06-12-2015 03:21 PM
    Atom has been a the POS of every Intel release for years. The lowest of the low is just a little higher than last time.
    I've been saying that all along and everyone told me that I was an "*****" and that "the new Atom processors are better than they were before", looks like I had the last laugh there then!!!
    06-12-2015 07:18 PM
    I've been saying that all along and everyone told me that I was an "*****" and that "the new Atom processors are better than they were before", looks like I had the last laugh there then!!!
    I thought you said that the only Intel Atom you ever used was the one in 2009-era Netbook.

So, how would you know? From anecdotal evidence?

I was on the road with my friend when his Ford broke own. All Ford are bad cars. /s
    theefman likes this.
    06-12-2015 07:43 PM
    run in Compatibility mode windows 7 ?
    06-12-2015 08:12 PM
    They are better than they were before... The Atom in the Surface 3 is the best to date.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...22_.2814_nm.29
    06-12-2015 08:13 PM
    They are better than they were before... The Atom in the Surface 3 is the best to date.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...22_.2814_nm.29
    The Intel Atom x7-Z8700 is already faster than the Intel Core i3-2357M (which is a 17 W processor).
    06-12-2015 11:48 PM
    A Lenovo Thinkpad W540 worked perfectly for my needs and continues to.
    Dude!! are you really comparing the most awesome laptop workstation with great specs for 2000$ to a 2in1 tablet with atom?
    theefman likes this.
    06-13-2015 01:08 AM
    What sort of audio conversion are you doing?

If it is really, really basic maybe try something like Audacity?

Not trashing Audacity or anything, it's a powerful program however it's no where near professional tools.
    06-13-2015 05:45 AM

Right, as if problems with one application is an indication of how current Atom processors perform with all applications. Makes perfect sense and could not possibly be a problem with that particular application....... /s

Not sure if this applies 100%, but I watched this video before I bought my S3. The guy in this compares the S3 to the SP3 for use in audio production using a variety of programs.
    06-13-2015 07:28 AM
    Unless Cherry Trail has some sort of magical problems (it seems to be like that lately with driver issues and Tech Previews not working.) Then I do not know what to say besides either download the latest version on your Surface or contact Steinburg.
    06-13-2015 09:35 PM
    I figured out the following:

If Wavelab 8 is working/accessing/getting audio (wave file format) stored on the micrdSD card it enters "not responding" mode. Close Wavelab and try to reopen... forget it. Force shutdown and pray. Reboot...then

Place wave files on the included main c: drive and things are ok.

I have not tried getting the audio wave files off of my Samsung SSD T1 via USB (Wavelab requires USB dongle) but I do know that when I connected this SSD T1 device to S3 and then attempt to properly disconnect USB device Surface perpetually tells me I can't disconnect the SSD because it is in use by some program.... but it isn't. Tried multiple times.

Headphone Jack Placement - Different subject but if hold S3 as a tablet with both hands on each side near the bottom the right side is where you have the headphone jack/ - connecter and therefore is in the way. Really stupid in fact. Surface 2 was must better.
    06-14-2015 06:32 PM
    So.. You've TOTALLY ignored the reviews then and kept on repeating your statement DESPITE the reviews proving otherwise. Yay for you :)

P.s. The guy answered his own problem above which is great.
    06-16-2015 10:04 AM
    I figured out the following:

If Wavelab 8 is working/accessing/getting audio (wave file format) stored on the micrdSD card it enters "not responding" mode. Close Wavelab and try to reopen... forget it. Force shutdown and pray. Reboot...then

Place wave files on the included main c: drive and things are ok.

I have not tried getting the audio wave files off of my Samsung SSD T1 via USB (Wavelab requires USB dongle) but I do know that when I connected this SSD T1 device to S3 and then attempt to properly disconnect USB device Surface perpetually tells me I can't disconnect the SSD because it is in use by some program.... but it isn't. Tried multiple times.
    Maybe you need a faster SD card? On the USB disconnect problem, it could be that something is accessing the drive in the background, maybe an AV scanning process, indexing, defrag or something like that. You might want to check running processes to see if something is running that you aren't aware of. Windows Resource Monitor is very useful for figuring out which program is doing what, if that makes any sense.

It's an interesting thread though. I posted a thread in the Surface 3 Pro forum asking if one of these things can hack audio work, I guess the answer is maybe.
    06-16-2015 06:42 PM
    Dude!! are you really comparing the most awesome laptop workstation with great specs for 2000$ to a 2in1 tablet with atom?
    Background: Last year I needed a portable DAW that allowed me to duplicate my studio workstation exactly (64bit Cubase 8 Pro with sometimes 10-25 audio tracks, 3-6 midi tracks playing to Halion 5 instruments, SteveSlate Drums and VST plugins 64bit such as Lexicon Reverbs, DMG EQ & Compression etc). I purchased a RME USB UCX audio interface. My studio has a UFX.

I first tried my old Thinkpad T500 knowing it would run out of CPU power and it did.

The Surface Pro 3 i5 had just been released so I gave it a try not expecting complete success. It did very well but it too would stutter on some projects. I monitor with Sennheiser HD600 (open) phones and when the SP3 fan would run it was distracting to say the least. The screen size made editing difficult too.

The eventual solution was the W540 and it is powerful but expensive. Everything I've done on my HP studio workstation I can do on the W540. It's fan kicks in to but the pitch is less distracting than the SP3 pitch for my ears.

In no way was I attempting to compare the S3 to the W540. Having purchased the S3 though I thought it would be convenient to be able to grab my stereo mix (wave) audio files off of OneDrive, listen and if desired run WaveLab to convert the 48k 24b wave files to Fraunhofer 320k Variable Bit Rate MP3 files (*** If one can use the word "good" and MP3 together -- I've found this format to be the "good" format***) to send via email or share via OneDrive. (Ex. Original Stereo 48k 24b wave=~100MB; WMA Lossless 48k 24b=~60MB; Fraunhofer VBR=~6MB.

As I've have already posted above: Wavelab runs fine as long as I don't put the audio on the microSD card. My card: Lexar High-Performance MicroSDXC 633x 128GB UHS-I/U3 (Up to 95MB/s Read). I'll have to try another.

I'd like to change the title of the tread to "solution" rather than "disaster" but I don't see how to do that.

Above SP3 vs. S3 video was interesting. Thanks.
    Last edited by WillBthr; 06-20-2015 at 12:41 PM.
    06-20-2015 12:17 PM
27 12