Jerky scrolling?

jwpear

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I just picked up a Surface 3 yesterday--the model with 4 GB of RAM and 128 GB of storage. I've noticed jerkiness when slowly scrolling, not flicking, in apps using my thumb. I first noticed it when scrolling pages in metro IE. I've also noticed in the settings app. I would expect the page to move smoothly with my thumb movement, but it seems to freeze for a split second and then catch up with my thumb. It only happens with slowly scrolling. I see no jerkiness or stutter in the page scrolling when I flick.

The S3 needed quite a few updates, including a firmware update. I applied them, hoping it might help. It hasn't.

Has anyone else noticed this?

I have a Surface 2 and it does not exhibit this jerky scrolling behavior.

F1WP

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
I have a SP3, and there is some slight stutter while scrolling slowly, but not too much to distract.

jwpear

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I don't get how it can be smooth on the Surface 2, but jerky on the Surface 3. I wonder if it is the graphics chip or digitizer? Is the Tegra really a better SoC than the Surface 3's Atom?

tbsteph

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
No. I traded in my Surface 2 for the 3 and find the latter much more responsive. I rarely notice any jerkiness when scrolling slow or otherwise. When I do it's typically on websites with a lot of flash.

onlysublime

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
Metro IE has been buttery smooth on my S3.

Can't wait for Edge because Metro IE is too lacking in features even though the basic web browsing experience in terms of smoothness and touch capabilities is fantastic.

danielfrisbee

May 26, 2016
Visit site
I just got a surface 3 today and have the same problem. It is rather destroying the premise for me, as it was intended as a gentle researching and design tool, however it is stutter which is maddening. I looked closely at reviews for this and never saw the stutter. Hopefully there's a software fix. I've also noticed the finger input in fresh paint makes crazy wiggly lines, where it is smooth on my 4 year old sony vaio duo 11. So I think it's a touch screen issue to do with the refresh rate of the touch input. No idea how to change that, have been looking through the settings but not found anything.
The keyboard sounds like a machine gun fight... Other than that it's a great piece of kit. Hopefully these problems can be solved somehow..

Anyone....?

BaritoneGuy

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
Originally posted by danielfrisbee
I just got a surface 3 today and have the same problem. It is rather destroying the premise for me, as it was intended as a gentle researching and design tool, however it is stutter which is maddening. I looked closely at reviews for this and never saw the stutter. Hopefully there's a software fix. I've also noticed the finger input in fresh paint makes crazy wiggly lines, where it is smooth on my 4 year old sony vaio duo 11. So I think it's a touch screen issue to do with the refresh rate of the touch input. No idea how to change that, have been looking through the settings but not found anything.
The keyboard sounds like a machine gun fight... Other than that it's a great piece of kit. Hopefully these problems can be solved somehow..

Anyone....?

Make sure it is 100% up to date. I have the same device without issue.