Microsoft Store wants $320 to replace screen

hpham72

Mar 10, 2015
Visit site
I've never bought breakage protection for my tablets and it's finally come back to bite me. Yesterday I turned on my Surface 3 to find the screen unresponsive to touch or the pen or the touches would be at random places. After I came home and had the screen off I saw that there was a hairline crack that could not be felt across the left of the screen. So I basically have a laptop now with a useless touchscreen.
The Microsoft Store told me it's not covered by warranty, even though I don't believe I caused the crack by dropping it. They want $320 to replace the screen.
I think I'm not going to replace the screen. I already have a laptop. I bought the Surface 3 to use as a tablet. But I found it a bit on the heavy side and the pen features aren't as useful as I thought they'd be. And now that Microsoft has released Office for Android and iOS, I'm actually using those more since I have both of those in more portable 8" versions.
Anyone have any idea what it's worth on eBay? Or maybe it'll become an extremely expensive electronic picture frame...
Oh, and if you're thinking about buying the Surface 3, I'd advise buying the breakage protection. I only had mine less than 2 months and, although I've dropped it a few times, I have not had this happen to my Samsung or Apple tablets.

TheSteve87

May 7, 2015
Visit site
well, the surface 3 is a relatively new product (and the screen is fused to the touchscreen, making it one piece with two hardware parts to replace and not one) so i'm afraid you won't find a replacement screen for less than that - consider that i live in europe and i just did a quick search and found that it costs something like 400$ on online stores

i suggest you to wait for the prices to lower a bit, and then have the screen replaced but in a professional repair center! since it's not easy to replace the screen by yourself (just google the video of "surface teardown" from ifixit, and you'll understand why)

P_Devil

Apr 6, 2015
Visit site
... even though I don't believe I caused the crack by dropping it.
...although I've dropped it a few times...

You likely caused the issue by dropping it, you just didn't initially notice it because the fracture was so hard to see. Microsoft is right in refusing to replace your screen for free as it didn't come from the factor like that and didn't crack by just sitting there. Yeah, it sucks but that's part of the gamble in not buying extended warranties (I didn't buy one with my SP2 or Surface 3, I don't need one).

You might be able to sell the Surface for $100 on eBay. Seeing as how a screen replacement will be $320 (and a new Surface 3 costs $500), that's about all I see you getting. In the end, it's an $80 discount vs. just buying a new Surface 3.

hpham72

Mar 10, 2015
Visit site
Perhaps I did cause the fracture. But there isn't so much as a scratch on the tablet so it's not like I dropped it on the pavement. And, although I've had many android and iOS tablets, I haven't had this type of an accident. Perhaps it's the digitizer in the Surface that makes it especially brittle?

Ultimately, I'm concerned that I'll shell out $320 (no small sum I think) and have it happen again. Considering that's almost the cost of a cheaper Windows tablet or, say, a Nexus 9, I have to really think about whether I want to spend that much for something that appears to me to be very brittle. I also think I may want something lighter, a pound or less, as I want something more like a tablet and already have a laptop.

For now, I'm deciding whether to keep it to use as a regular laptop or, as you suggest, selling it on eBay.

cygnus11

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
It really is too bad that this happened to you. I am not sure what I would do in your situation. Have you tried negotiating at all with MS support to see if they can repair it for a lower price since it is so new and no other damage is present? Maybe trade it in for a refurbished unit?

I think if the cost was more like $150 I would definitely get it replaced, and then purchase Microsoft Complete on the tablet if possible. But at $320, that is a much tougher decision.

I really wish I had purchased Complete. I think it is too late to buy it now.

P_Devil

Apr 6, 2015
Visit site
And, although I've had many android and iOS tablets, I haven't had this type of an accident. Perhaps it's the digitizer in the Surface that makes it especially brittle?

If I had to guess, I would say it's a combination of the tablet's weight and size that cause it to be a bit more fragile. The Surface 3 has a larger display than any iPad and most Android tablets. The few Android tablets with larger displays are normally made out of lighter material (i.e. plastic) and weigh less. Plus their displays aren't tapered out like the Surface 3's. So the Surface 3 is 50% heavier, 20% larger, and made of metal. It's going to be a bit more fragile and drops are going to affect it more than a thinner, lighter, smaller, plastic tablet.

Brian282

Jul 29, 2014
Visit site
Microsoft has been known to use crazy thin glass on their surface models. While the surface looks amazing. I wish Microsoft had made the thing a tad bit more durable

If you do repair it. I'd suggest a gumdrops or UAG case. Ive been looking for the best drop case that actually utilizes the surface kickstand. I'm leaning to a gumdrops case. The glasstech uses an actual glass screen protector that sticks to the screen and the case just slides over the surface and tempered glass.

mwright53

Aug 7, 2012
Visit site
I dropped and cracked mine recently and did not have the Complete Care. Went online and pulled up the Microsoft Surface support page. I identified the problem and I ended up paying $220. My bad for breaking it and I was actually glad to get it done for that price. I did give in and got a case for it. It's not perfect but I don't want to break it again.

hpham72

Mar 10, 2015
Visit site
So I ended up calling tech support and they quoted me the $220 price as well. So I'm not sure why the guys at the physical store in Cerritos, CA, asked for $320. $220 is better, but I'm still on the fence if I want to fix it however. My fear is I'll fix it and it'll happen again. Essentially, the device needs a cover, which makes me think the tablet should come with a cover. The thing is I was hoping to use it without a cover, as that adds to the bulkiness of the device, especially one that already has a kick stand.

I may just disable the touchscreen to see if the pen input still works and try that.

To P_Devil, I agree with you that the heaviness is what makes the device more fragile. This is counter intuitive to me because the device feels so solid because it's metal. Anyway, I think no more tablets weighing over a pound for me.

cygnus11

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
Are you able to add Microsoft Complete to the device if you pay for the screen replacement? That will send the total cost back up to $320, which is a lot. But it may be worth it if you really want to use the Surface 3 without a cover and not have to worry about a big expense if you do drop it again in the future.

But at $320, it may be better to put that money towards the purchase of the next model Surface when it eventually comes out. And just accept the loss on this unit. And next time, buy MS Complete. I just purchased it for mine and it has added peace of mind while using it.

enixon

Feb 16, 2013
Visit site
I've never bought breakage protection for my tablets and it's finally come back to bite me. Yesterday I turned on my Surface 3 to find the screen unresponsive to touch or the pen or the touches would be at random places. After I came home and had the screen off I saw that there was a hairline crack that could not be felt across the left of the screen. So I basically have a laptop now with a useless touchscreen.
The Microsoft Store told me it's not covered by warranty, even though I don't believe I caused the crack by dropping it. They want $320 to replace the screen.
I think I'm not going to replace the screen. I already have a laptop. I bought the Surface 3 to use as a tablet. But I found it a bit on the heavy side and the pen features aren't as useful as I thought they'd be. And now that Microsoft has released Office for Android and iOS, I'm actually using those more since I have both of those in more portable 8" versions.
Anyone have any idea what it's worth on eBay? Or maybe it'll become an extremely expensive electronic picture frame...
Oh, and if you're thinking about buying the Surface 3, I'd advise buying the breakage protection. I only had mine less than 2 months and, although I've dropped it a few times, I have not had this happen to my Samsung or Apple tablets.

Microsoft Stores don't fix or repair Surface devices. You were quoted an out-of-warranty exchange. You hand them your device, they hand you a b-stock item. You can do this for any Microsoft-branded product.

michail71

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
I've heard of them doing this on phones like the 1520 but I doubt they'd have any of those around anymore. But seems to cost less than repairs and some insurance deductibles.

hpham72

Mar 10, 2015
Visit site
Ever thought about adding a glass screen protector? It might give the screen a better chance of survival.

The tech support person told me that, due to how I described it, it was likely from pressure on the glass and probably could have been prevented with a cover. You literally cannot feel the crack on the surface of the glass. I always had my tablet in a padded case, although I'll admit it's not the heaviest of cases. But I doubt a glass screen protector would have prevented the issue.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99