Optional Windows 8.1 Updates - install or not?

DLCPhototography

May 23, 2015
Visit site
My Surface 3 is running fine; no problems.

I just checked the Updates section, and found over 2 dozen "Optional" Updates for Windows 8.1 listed there (I have it set to automatically install "important" updates).

The descriptions for each are pretty vague, and so I wonder how important it is.

Any thoughts/experience on whether these should or shouldn't be installed?

Don

AaronGraham

Nov 29, 2014
Visit site
I always install them. Most of the updates are just performance or reliability updates that add or improve compatibility with older applications.

ADufresne

Feb 16, 2015
Visit site
Given our proximity to July 29, I'm less inclined to install any optional updates unless they are security-related or I can relate them to an issue that is impacting me.

jdnorton22

Jul 7, 2015
Visit site
I always install them, but on separate days than the critical updates go in. This way if something goes awry, I sort my system updates by date installed and uninstall the non-critical updates. Happened once early-on in 8.1.
jeff

rmeigs

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
I always install them, but on separate days than the critical updates go in. This way if something goes awry, I sort my system updates by date installed and uninstall the non-critical updates. Happened once early-on in 8.1.
jeff

I follow the same process.

DLCPhototography

May 23, 2015
Visit site
I have an upcoming trip, and won't make any changes before leaving, but I think when I return I'll go ahead and enable all updates, optional as well as important. It does make sense to separate the installation of optional from important, so I'll probably do this as well.

Thanks for the input.

Dewg

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
Dunno - I typically don't install the optionals. I did a few months ago, and suddenly had battery issues, where I'd lose 3-5% per hour while in sleep. I did a factory reset, and the problem went away - again not installing optionals.

Then yesterday I installed the optionals, not thinking, with the rest of the windows updates for July. Now I'm having a problem where several apps are taking 20 seconds to start - they just sit on the splash screen for 20 seconds and then load. My Mail app also crashed and had to be reloaded.

So I'm wiping again - I'll leave the optionals out. :)

DLCPhototography

May 23, 2015
Visit site
Dunno - I typically don't install the optionals. I did a few months ago, and suddenly had battery issues, where I'd lose 3-5% per hour while in sleep. I did a factory reset, and the problem went away - again not installing optionals.

Then yesterday I installed the optionals, not thinking, with the rest of the windows updates for July. Now I'm having a problem where several apps are taking 20 seconds to start - they just sit on the splash screen for 20 seconds and then load. My Mail app also crashed and had to be reloaded.

So I'm wiping again - I'll leave the optionals out. :)

Interesting - thanks for the input.

Without considerable effort and controlled testing, it's pretty difficulty to track down these types of problems. Makes it hard to know what to do!

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
It's "dangerous" when it decides it wants to install updates 10 minutes before a presentation. :grin:

"OK, so imagine this guys. Imagine you're seeing a list of all the problems. Now imagine there's this picture with a solution. And that solution is this doohickey that kinda looks like..."

WillysJeepMan

Aug 7, 2008
Visit site
"OK, so imagine this guys. Imagine you're seeing a list of all the problems. Now imagine there's this picture with a solution. And that solution is this doohickey that kinda looks like..."
ROTFLMAO!

That was not a hypothetical. I actually had my Surface 2 decide to install updates and reboot 10 minutes before I was scheduled to give a presentation.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte