Help with s3 battery

11B1P

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
Everyone try running batteryreport and sleepstudy.

Open Admin command prompt.
Cd \
Powercfg batteryreport
Powercfg sleepstudy

Now go browse your C: drive and open the two HTML files.

Run those reports Dewg mentioned. They take all the guesswork away. For me the WiFi in sleep mode was going full tilt and burning more battery than when it was in use.

Ok, I did that and got low power.jpg and I have no idea what I'm looking for in the battery report.

michail71

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Open up that html file in a web browser. It looks like it is in the root of the C drive.

What device do you have? Says the sleep study isn't supported.

11B1P

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
Open up that html file in a web browser. It looks like it is in the root of the C drive.

What device do you have? Says the sleep study isn't supported.

I got the battery report, but I have no idea what I'm looking for. It is a Surface Pro.

NeO_Sk8eR

Mar 10, 2015
Visit site
the sleepstudy shows my wifi is draining my battery
But its during normal use where i found a HUGE decrease.
7% in 15 mins just web browsing today.
This is after a clean install, the battery report just shows rate of discharge but doesnt tell you whats actually doing it

michail71

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Since I've disabled WiFi in sleep my battery makes it all through the day. Occasionally it does seem like the WiFi doesn't turn back on correctly.

11B1P

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
I noticed that my battery was fully charged when I took the charger, I hovered on the battery icon and it said I had 1.5hrs remaining. Wow! 1.5hrs of battery with it fully charged.

etphoto

Aug 15, 2007
Visit site
I am glad I am not the only one. My 16 month old surface 2 was getting better battery length then my brand new surface 3.

michail71

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Today my surface 3 was sleeping from 8:30 am to 2pm. It had a 62% battery drain!

My wifi in sleep mode is off but I did have cellular enabled. I'll run a sleep study tonight and see what's up. But that's back to 10% drain per hour on a device MS claims can do 10 hours of video playback. Now it can't even sleep for 10 hours.

michail71

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
This is crazy, when I had my surface on and was using it today it used less power than when it was sleeping according to the sleep study. Guess I should prevent it from going into sleep mode, lol.

Cruncher04

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
I am glad I am not the only one. My 16 month old surface 2 was getting better battery length then my brand new surface 3.

The irony. My Surface 2 lasts for 5+ days! in connected standby with WiFi on. Glad i did not "upgrade" in particular taking the Windows 10 tablet mode fiasco into account.

michail71

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
I'm afraid of disconnecting it from power :(

But yesterday my battery usage graph had a steeper drop the whole time it was in sleep more than it did when I was using it in a meeting. The meeting showed up as a flatter line.

The good news is this should be fixable. But I also have an LTE versions. My issue could be from that. I'm going to keep LTE off until there are some more updates.

But I actually prefer Win 10 over 8.1, with a couple exceptions, so I'm willing to wait for a fix.

Cruncher04

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
But I actually prefer Win 10 over 8.1, with a couple exceptions, so I'm willing to wait for a fix.

I had Windows 10 precisely half a day on my Surface Pro 3. Then i could not stand it anymore and went back to Windows 8.1. Now i am happy again. And i am not talking about bugs, but just about missing functionality in tablet mode. Tablet mode in Windows 10 is a joke. On top of this, it is modern UI and desktop mixed all over the place. I do not want metro UI elements on my desktop and no desktop UI elements when i am using the device with touch - they do not mix well.

michail71

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
It looks like I had the option to not run WiFi in sleep but I did have the LTE turned on. It seems that causes the WiFi to remain active. The battery report shows both the LTE and WiFi consuming equal amounts of power and accounting for 98% of the power usage in sleep mode.

After disconnecting LTE it seems to sleep a little more soundly. So it seems WiFi and LTE are interconnected at some level.

11B1P

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
I think the last update helped my battery. I noticed it showed 3.5hrs of life after I unplugged the charger.

mfgillia

Aug 12, 2015
Visit site
I've had my Surface 3 for about two weeks now and overall loving it. Had some concerns about battery life as the battery monitor was calibrating and fluctuating wildly. After installing Battery Bar, I've been getting more consistent numbers around 7 1/2 hours of battery life on Windows 8.1 I don't think I'll ever see the promised 10 hours of battery life but can live with the current situation.

Haven't really tested Sleep mode but it seems to be working pretty well with minimal drain compared to the others on this thread.

michail71

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
With WiFi it could have to do with the wireless landscape. At work I often get in a state where it "needs attention" and I have to accept a certificate. I'm thinking it may be causing it to work hard when in sleep state.

I ran some test at home and over a 4 hour test period I saw a 1.3% battery drain with WiFi on and 1.8% with WiFi + LTE.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte