Surface 3 with 2GB RAM great for Artists and Drawing?

wLhg

Apr 25, 2013
Visit site
Is the Surface 3 with 2GB RAM great for Artists and Drawing? Which Drawing-Apps do you use?

I think of:

- Sketchbook Pro
- Mischief
- Krita
- ArtRage
- Manga Studio
- Photoshop C6 & CC
- Some other apps maybe?

homeedition88

May 22, 2012
Visit site
It can be but only if you use one app in a time. For example you can use Sketchbook Pro but without other app or apps open. Like browser or twitter. One app in a time. Still I'm not sure about Photoshop C6 it is a really demanding program. Maybe you can do easy things not complicated stuff. And also I can give you a guarantee that these apps will works well. There can be sluggish response, slow reloads or battery drains problems. I suggest to buy Surface Pro 3 instead of Surface 3. I know I know it is more expensive :(

Brian282

Jul 29, 2014
Visit site
The 2GB model will disappoint you the moment you start adding layers to your artwork. Stick with a 4GB Surface or save your pennies for a PRO.

Microsoft should have skipped the 2GB Surface all together and made a 4GB model with a 64GB HD. (my opinion) I imagine there will be more than a few people cursing the day they purchased the 2GB model.

Here is a decent video that will give you and idea on how the surface will run Photoshop. You will have to fast forward to 30:30 mark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNkNEFlUtEk

michail71

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
It's not bad at two or three apps at a time. But if you aren't using this in a docking station the natural inclination isn't to multitask heavy anyway.

That being said it should be against the law to make a system with under 4 GB of ram in 2015 :)

I'm not an artist but doodling on it is really fun. I don't think running Photoshop on any tablet or even a laptop is the best experience for that software.

I run Visual Studio on my S3 sometimes through RDP and it's virtually impossible to use without a mouse, keyboard and multiple monitors.

Narse77

Feb 7, 2013
Visit site
I honestly don't understand why MS released one with 2GB. I have not personally used a 2GB model but I frequently have 3-3.7GB used on my S3

michail71

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Up to a point Windows will always use as much memory as it can. So a lower memory config may not be short on memory but performance could be impacted as not as much will be cached.

Narse77

Feb 7, 2013
Visit site
Yup, I am well aware of that. I generally have 4-6 tabs in Edge and a couple in IE plus the SCCM Console and Outlook 2013 and a few CMRCviewer windows open on my Surface 3. I don't think that is windows just using ram. I can't see me doing that with 2gb.

michail71

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
I thought that too but I wanted the LTE version. It's not as bad as I expected. I've got 16 GB on my other laptop and Desktop.

SteelSteve

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
I thought that too but I wanted the LTE version. It's not as bad as I expected. I've got 16 GB on my other laptop and Desktop.

Are you still happy with the 2GB model. I'm thinking of cashing in all my airline miles and upgrading from the 2 to the 3, unfortunately all they offer is the 64 / 2GB model.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
infohills