DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE on Surface 3 running Windows 10

cygnus11

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
Is anyone getting network failures on their Surface 3 running Windows 10 that cause a blue screen on restart with the error DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE?

Over the past few days I've had my network adapter "disable" on its own. I have not been able to manually re-enable it, so I have had to restart to try to rectify the problem. The restart usually takes about 5 minutes and results in a blue screen with the error DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE. Usually, the restart fixes it. But yesterday it disabled on restart and I could not get it to work again.

I eventually rolled back the network driver to an older one dated 3/3/2015. This driver seems to work better, but is having some issues keeping a connection sometimes.

Is anyone else seeing these problems? I may try to do a reset of the device today (keeping my personal files) and see how that goes.

cygnus11

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
I think I actually fixed the issue without doing a full reset. After rolling back the network adapter driver, the system was much more stable. But I really wanted to be on the latest version since nobody else seemed to be having the problems that I was having. So I manually updated the network driver back to the latest version.

Now, all seems to be running well. It has been pretty stable the last couple days. So it seems that sometimes it may be easier to identify the offending driver and deal with it individually instead of doing a full reset. But if things start getting unstable again, I will probably have to try the reset option.

cygnus11

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
I have to say that mine has been pretty stable since I re-installed the network adapter driver (rollback, then update). In fact, I put my Surface 3 to sleep last night when I went to bed at about 70% battery. I have it set to hibernate after 4 hours on battery. I woke it up this morning and it still had around 60% battery. And it connected right away to my wifi.

michail71

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Which driver do you use? I had 4 listed last time I went in to the manual driver update but they looked like there were just 2 with duplicates.

cygnus11

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
I am currently using the driver dated 6/4/2015. The version is 15.68.3091.193.

I had rolled back to the one dated 3/3/2015, restarted, then updated the driver back to 6/4/2015.

michail71

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Oh, you downgraded it and let it update. I have three showing up now. One of them is the latest version you are using with is what it is currently using.

cygnus11

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
Just to clarify, this is what I did:

1. Using device manager, I right-clicked on the Marvell AVASTAR network controller under Network adapters.
2. Chose Update Driver Software, Browse my computer.., Let me pick from a list...
3. I chose the driver dated 3/3/2015.
4. I restarted the computer.
5. This driver was not very stable with holding onto its connection to my wifi, but it was better than my initial state.
6. After the Surface 3 restarted, I used it for a few hours but decided that I wanted to try the latest driver again.
7. I followed the same process to update the driver, but this time I picked the latest version dated 6/4/2015.
8. After a restart the Surface has been very stable.

cygnus11

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
Looks like my network adapter problems have returned :(

I am doing a reset (keeping my personal files) now. Hopefully this will clean things up.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss