Wifi on S3 Horrible?

OwenDL

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
I just got a Surface 3 with Windows 10 and I'm having some Wifi issues with it. When I do a Speedtest it finds the server almost instantly, gets the ping value, then when it starts to get the download speed it spikes to 4 mbps and then start declining and then at the end of the test the download speed is 1.50 mbps. It's like the device is detecting the test and throttles the speed.

Meanwhile on my desktop, on wifi, same network, I'm getting the speeds I should. Has anyone else run into this? It pretty much makes the surface unusable and I'd like to get this worked out ASAP. Thanks!

EDIT: I changed the network encryption type on my router to TKIP and it fixed the problem for about five minutes. After letting the Surface sit idle for a while, the problem has returned.

Last edited:

evileggplant

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
Hey! Having a similar issue with my Surface 3. My WiFi speeds are terrible compared to all of my other devices (iPad, galaxy tab 4, PC, and phones) has anybody had this issue and fixed it?

jnjroach

Apr 24, 2014
Visit site
Roll back to the driver that dates from March and see if your through-put improves dramatically.... the June driver seems to struggle with many APs and Routers....

michail71

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Anyone have luck yet? I had my system reloaded at the store, which fixed many problems. However, WiFi still sucks on the S3 compared to every other device I have. This is an AC devices but my 802.11g and 802.11n devices seem to do better.

cygnus11

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
I find that WiFi performance is a bit lacking. I ended up putting a WiFi extender in a location close to where I use the Surface 3 a lot and that seemed to help tremendously. I now have really good performance and can stream HD video and download things much faster. Maybe the Surface 3 antenna is just a bit on the weak side.

To be honest, that WiFi extender has helped many other devices also. So maybe I was just using devices at the edge of my original WiFi signal range.

michail71

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Well, even 10 feet with direct line to my AP and connected using 5 GHz AC I get around 20-30 Mbps throughput. Every other device I have can get 89 Mbps at the other end of the house, even where the S3 struggled to keep connected. Perhaps the S3 can't handle any more than that internally?

jcorbin121

Oct 1, 2015
Visit site
Have you tried a 5GHZ connection? I have found that on 2.4 I get around 3-4mbs throughput but on 5 I get 90-94mbs. A person at the MS Store told me the NIC optimized for 5ghz on the S3's, not sure if that is so but my experience has been better on 5GHZ, almost never slows down or stutters.

michail71

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Most reports have been the 5GHz frequencies don't work as well on the Surface 3. My experience is my S3 won't work on 5 GHZ when I'm a couple rooms over from my AP. Every other device I have gets full speed still. But the 2.4 GHz frequency is very congested and slow in general. 5GHz can have distance and wall propagation issues, although AC routers are usually better.

If I'm in the same room with the AP I can do better but rarely hit 90 Mbps.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte