Im thinking about buying a Surface 3 in a few days, for school. Good Idea?

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

Is that a good idea or do you guys think there will be more deals or sales in September or October? Should I wait?

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
If you need it now for class, then you don't have much choice, do you? Unless you have an model of something you can chug until then. Best deals will probably be late November, I would imagine, but don't quote me on that. I can be wrong 9 times out of 10 when I'm taking medication for an illness. ;) And I am taking it.

If you've got the extra money, you can always buy two and send an extra one to me. I love gifts. ;) I might even get to try it out long enough for my wife to get home from work and say, "Ooh, I like that." After that I'd never see it again.

The Surface 3 is a great product, though, and for school it is especially handy because you get the power and convenience of both a laptop and a tablet, with the weight and convenience of the tablet so that it is much lighter in your backpack. You'll have enough books to carry. Lighten the load where you can.

chasvs

Nov 30, 2011
Visit site
What use at school? Primarily notes and word documents, web browsing etc? Then yes, the Surface 3 is just fine. If anything more rigorous you might want to look at the Surface Pro or a good Convertible Laptop. The Surface just doesn't have the processing power needed for more processor intensive programs. I've owned the Surface 3 since it came out and love it for that kind of use.

Prabaharan D

Jun 21, 2013
Visit site
I've the Surface 3 since it came out and love it for that kind of use - good for web browsing, taking notes,saving and sharing, casual drawing, watching movies/ listening music, reading books etc. perfect device for me within the budget. With office in it, it adds more use than any tablet out in the market.

Basiluzzo

Nov 17, 2014
Visit site
I echo the others, I bought the base model Surface 3 for light MS Office and web surfing, and it has been absolutely fine. Upgraded to Win 10 with no problems, by the way. It's a great machine at a good price. Same dollars as an iPad for way more flexibility. I barely ever pick up my iPad any more, and as they start porting more and more iOS apps to Win 10, I may forget about my iPad completely.

WillysJeepMan

Aug 7, 2008
Visit site
Is that a good idea or do you guys think there will be more deals or sales in September or October? Should I wait?
You don't mention what kind of school (High School vs. University/College) but a Surface 3 would be a terrific option for either. I recommend getting one with 128GB storage (rather than 64GB) and keeping an eye on options since that $499 starting price can quickly balloon up to $800 and beyond.

I just ran a sample config (with .edu discount) 4GB/128GB S3 + Blue TypeCover + Blue pen = $700. Hmmm, that's not bad and has me thinking. LOL

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos