Recommend a DVD drive that works without a HUB

Brian282

Jul 29, 2014
Visit site
I really love my surface, but I purchased this thing because of the pen and its ability to run legacy apps. I really need to run an external DVD drive but my Samsung B128 low power drive won't even boot up. WTH....

What are you running that actually works without a hub.

Is there a HUB that will run off both ports? I don't want to carry cords just to spin a drive for 5min to boot an app.

Is there a cheapo hub?

Its a 3.0 USB for crying out loud.....

Brian282

Jul 29, 2014
Visit site
Because I have a 400.00 program (Boardmaker) that still requires a CD to boot up. As a school teacher I use it to run my calendar and half of my instruction time with Preschool kids. The goal is to Miracast everything from my tablet.

abhinavsaprey

Jul 23, 2014
Visit site
If you have a computer with a DVD drive, slide in the disk in question and create an image file using Daemon tools or other similar application.

Then copy the image file to your Surface and mount the image with built in Windows feature. This way you won't need to carry both the drive and the disk. Hope this helps.

Brian282

Jul 29, 2014
Visit site
I can try it... but last time I gave it a go daemon tools didn't like boardmakers encryption program.

Mind you that was one or two years in the past...

Thanks for the reminder...

lordcpaq

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
whit I have found is that if your DVD/blue ray crave has the y USB connector you can plug one of them into a USB battery pack like for a cellphone and drive will work.

jack69453

Jul 2, 2015
Visit site
There are DVDRW drives available that only require a single straight cable. You can perhaps try getting one of those.

If you have one that uses the Y cable, you can try connecting the micro USB charge port on the Surface to a OTG USB cable and connecting the DVD drive to that as well as the full sized USB3 port at the top of the tablet.

GizmoEV

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
I have a LG Portable Super Multi Drive DVD RW/R, model GP08NU6B manufactured 2011-04-07 that works for playing a DVD so I assume it will read a CD just fine. I only have to use the USB 3 port on the Surface 3 and no external power.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
janecruise