Missing Hibernate Function

bostonguy

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
Hey Surface Experts!

I've just joined the club. I recently picked up an S3 with 4gb/128gb and LTE, pen and keyboard. I'm really loving it so far. It had Windows 10 out of the box. I had one of the original Asus t100's back when they first hit, but the size, speed, RAM and lack of LTE doomed it as a keeper for me. This Surface 3 is just about perfect (if only it had SSD for better disk speed) for most day to day things I do.

However I have a problem. I cannot for the life of me get hibernate to work or even show up as an option. I've googled every which way, tried all the tricks to get the hibernate option to show/work but no luck. Now I swear it was there and working when I first booted/setup my S3. But as usual, my first few setups of my new device went awry so I "recovered" (fully wiping) since then and NO hibernate option.

I'm thinking I might have gotten a MS BIOS update during that first setup that somehow disabled hibernate. I don't even know how to get into the BIOS at boot to be honest. When I run "powercfg /a" it doesn't show hibernate as an option. It says "the hiberfile does not support hibernation". It says "S0 Low Power Idle Network Connected Fast Startup" is supported. If I run the proper powercfg commands I can turn off hibernate (which deletes the hiberfile.sys file) and turn it back on (which recreates the file) but it never actually works or shows as an option in the Control Panel Power GUI. Also not my hiberfile.sys is about 800MB in size which is not the expected size on a 4gb system.

I even tried setting it up w/o the SD card and SIM card to see if they were affecting it. No luck.

Anybody have any ideas or seeing anything similar with S3 and Windows 10?

Thanks!

suburbanl3g3nd

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
I got mine to show in the power options by going to the control panel (not settings app) and going into the power settings. On the left side of your window will be an option called 'choose what closing the lid does.' In that option, there is an option to change settings that are currently unavailable. After you tell it you want to change settings, the hibernate check box can be clicked. And then hibernate should be in your power options

bostonguy

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
Yup, everybody says that. Doesn't work. When I go into that area (which I disable the password function) it only ever has three options for closing the lid - Turn On Fast Startup, Sleep, Lock. No hibernate option anywhere. Again, I've done two FULL wipes and recoveries, no change. I've read every damn MS and other articles I can find about the hibernate option, nothing has worked. I'm stumped. I may call MS and get a ticket opened. I'm about out of ideas.

bostonguy

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
I couldn't get "powercfg.exe /hibernate-timeout-ac (minutes)" or the other to work. They aren't listed when you do a "powercfg /?" so maybe they were Windows 8 not 10? Anyway, as I said I've tried all the various command line and registry and even group policy fixes. No luck.

It acts like it's enabling cause it deletes and recreates the hiberfil.sys if I turn it off - but again it states "file is not valid and hibernate is not supported" when I run a "powercfg /a" which lists all states a given system supports. But I KNOW I had it on my first boot until I wiped and started over. Wen into the BIOS today and messed around with TPM and Secure boot (tried turning each off/on) but again no luck.

I think the system got flashed/patched by MS to disable hibernate until they figure all the sleep/wake problems with Windows 10. I'm at a loss to explain it not working any other way. I mean I'm starting with a completely secure, totally wiped, rebuilt b\native Windows 10 build here. I just bought the Surface on Tuesday. Oh well, I'll keep looking. Thanks for your help, if you think of anything let me know.

suburbanl3g3nd

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
Also, I downloaded all the surface drivers and fresh installed Windows 10 since mine was upgraded to 10. Idk if it would change anything, but personally, my system is much more agile and smooth since the reinstall. Was a process to get set up. But, worth it in the end

bostonguy

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
So "shutdown /h" comes back with "not a supported function S0"

Mine came with Windows 10 as the installed/recovery image, so it never was Windows 8. I have tried full wipes and reinstalls to factory fresh several times now. Even did the secure disk wipe just for kicks. No fix. Last night Windows Update found a firmware update dated 9/15/2015 and even after flashing that, no fix for hibernate.

I may gor find all the drivers and manually reinstall them. Don't know what else to try at this point. Thanks again for all your help, wish it had worked, but you tried so thanks! :)

bostonguy

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
Yes, got it fixed. After trying everything a guy on another forum found the fix. Not sure if I can link the other forum here, so here's the fix copy/pasta style:

Start regedit, then navigate to HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power. In that key, right-click and export HiberFileType as a backup. After, delete it. Reboot. Hibernate should now appear in your options and work properly.

Make sure you do this and reboot before the next step. Doing them both at once didn't work for me.

Now, for additional options, change the CsEnabled key (same place) to 0. Reboot. Now, go to Power Options, Advanced and you can change a bunch of additional settings in the balanced profile. Other profiles will appear, but are only usable at the expense of connected fast startup and sleep. Set the options you want in the balanced profile, then go back to the registry, set the CsEnabled key back to 1. Reboot. The options you set are not shown anymore, but they are still in effect.​

I didn't mess around much with the extra settings stuff, but it's there if you want to. This worked great for me, good luck.

Last edited:

RadicalDad

Nov 18, 2015
Visit site
This is much too complex - why edit the registry if you don't have to? If you don't have the hibernate option on your Surface Pro 3 after a fresh install of Windows 10 (quite likely outcome), stay out of the registry and do this instead. Open an elevated command prompt. Then type

powercfg /h /type full

This expands the size of the hibernation file (hiberfil.sys) to 75% of your installed RAM. With smaller SSD's, I guess the default is to keep the hibernation file small (allows only for fast start option).

As for bostonguy's assertion that you can undo connected standby (CS), set power options that aren't available with CS, then re-enable CS and have the options stick - it just doesn't work that way. Don't waste your time.

oditius

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
This is much too complex - why edit the registry if you don't have to? If you don't have the hibernate option on your Surface Pro 3

So what you are saying is the Surface Pro 3 operates just like the Surface 3? Interesting, the S3 being less powerful than the SP3, but it's shortcuts are the same... That's good to know...

icwhatudidthere

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
The latest Windows 10 update seems to have fixed my hibernate issue. I didn't have it since I bought it (came with Windows 10) but after last week's update, it showed up. Also seems to work perfectly now. I can finally let it sleep overnight and not wake up to a dead battery.

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
Hybrid Sleep, named Sleep, is the replacement that has elements of both Sleep and Hibernation. The main problem I had with hibernation is that it is barely any quicker than a cold boot.

bockersjv

Jun 25, 2014
Visit site
Hybrid Sleep, named Sleep, is the replacement that has elements of both Sleep and Hibernation. The main problem I had with hibernation is that it is barely any quicker than a cold boot.
Barely! I have re-installed an OS I less time than it takes or Hibernate to start up. I never saw the point. What is so wrong with plain sleep, or indeed for the Surface power off.

icwhatudidthere

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Maybe it's just because I've got the LTE version but normal sleep uses lots of power on my device, even after turning off background tasks. It's almost like it's not asleep at all. Only got about 10-12 hours of sleep before. With the latest update and hibernate being re-enabled, it's more like normal.

Also while hibernate takes a while longer to turn on, a cold boot still takes some more time after you login before it's really ready to use.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon