How Long is your Battery Life?

chobo2

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
Hi

On my surface 3 I seem to be getting only like 4 hours of battery life. I am mostly doing surfacing the net and writing notes. I thought you would get more around 8 hour mark doing this as on the MS site it is rated up to 10hours.

What is everyone else getting?

Dave47

Mar 11, 2014
Visit site
There have been many reports of battery consumption problems with Win10 that didn't exist with Win8.x.

Bing Windows 10 battery drain (or words to that affect) for many minutes/hours of reading on the subject. Microsoft Community is another source. IMO battery consumption with Win10 is broken and needs to be fixed.

tbsteph1

Jan 17, 2013
Visit site
Six plus hours sounds about right for me also. I have ran the battery report where nothing odd seems to be occurring. A bit disappointing. (Running Windows 10).

icwhatudidthere

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
6 hours sounds about right. It's made worse by the fact that Windows 10 is really still in beta. My 2 week old Surface 3 came with Windows 10, yet I still have problems with it not charging when plugged in, not sleeping properly and seemingly not going into hibernation at all.

I have a Surface Pro 1 that can last a week barely using any battery but the Surface 3 lasts maybe overnight. Dunno if that's cause of their Connected Standby or what but it's annoying.

Steve Adams

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
I am at 95% right now and showing 10 h 49 min. IMO the biggest drain is edge. I dropped that and my battery consumption went down dramatically. Probably got 2-3 hrs extra time on my two laptops. I never even fired it up on my surface. I am a heavy user of my devices and I get all day from the battery on my surface 3 on windows 10.

chobo2

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
I am at 95% right now and showing 10 h 49 min. IMO the biggest drain is edge. I dropped that and my battery consumption went down dramatically. Probably got 2-3 hrs extra time on my two laptops. I never even fired it up on my surface. I am a heavy user of my devices and I get all day from the battery on my surface 3 on windows 10.

You mean MS new Browser?

Also can anyone confirm the cable I linked to would work?

mfgillia

Aug 12, 2015
Visit site
I'm also getting just under 6 hours. Not using Edge didn't make any noticeable difference. I was considering reinstalling the OS from scratch again to see if battery life will improve. However, since most everyone on here is getting about the same battery life guess I'll leave it alone for now.

On the bright side, my battery pack (Anker PowerCore 20100) charges the device just about as quickly as the wall charger and nearly doubles the time away from an outlet.

mfgillia

Aug 12, 2015
Visit site
Also can anyone confirm the cable I linked to would work?

I don't have any experience with that particular product. However, this one together with Anker premium micro USB cables works well with the Surface charging the device about as fast as Microsoft's charger.

Amazon.com: Mpow 40W/8A 5-Port Ultra Portable Multiple USB Wall Charger Family-Sized Desktop Power Adapter with Xsmart Technology for iPhone 6, 6 Plus 5s 5c 5 4s 4; iPad Air Mini; iPad 4 3 2; Samsung Galaxy S4 S3; Note 3 2; the New HTC One (M8); Nexu

WillysJeepMan

Aug 7, 2008
Visit site
I am just going to use IE until MS gets it sorted out. I am not messing with host files etc.
Have you considered Opera? I have been a long-time user of Chrome but it kills battery life on everything it touches. I use many devices so bookmark/history syncing as well as extensions are important to me. Opera has been a terrific replacement for Chrome.

Steve Adams

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
I am fine with IE. I, for one don't see all the hate for IE, its fast, on my surface 3 I am at 95% battery life with 10h 5 min remaining on battery. Fine by me.

arrty

Nov 5, 2015
Visit site
I have disabled flash plugins in chrome, which forces me to right click and enable flash content when I want it.

Also installed ad block plus, which will prevent me from loading content and wasting precious battery resources on ads.

3earnhardt3

Oct 19, 2012
Visit site
I am lucky to get 4 hours use for anything other than watching movies/tv, otherwise I get about 8 hours. This is with hosts file adblocking and using edge, I have found performance issues on anything not edge/ie on my surface.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb