How is the Surface 3 standby battery?

lingobingo

Jul 14, 2014
Visit site
Hi
I'm planning to buy the surface 3 but I've been using iPad and I love the power management in it ...so I wonder how is the surface 3 in standby mode if I leave it 3 days on standby how many "percent" does it lose ?

oditius

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Never tried standby mode. It boots quick enough for me from shut down... Guess I could try and see, but you would have to wait 3 days for the results...

Dewg

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
It loses about 1-2% per hour in sleep mode. However, after 4 hours of sleep it will go into deep sleep (hibernation) which saves everything running at the time to storage and essentially powers down - losing virtually no power. So you could wake it up after 3 days and it will only have lost about 4-8% battery (for the initial 4 hours). The wake up will take a few seconds as it needs to load the system state from storage.

oditius

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
It loses about 1-2% per hour in sleep mode. However, after 4 hours of sleep it will go into deep sleep (hibernation) which saves everything running at the time to storage and essentially powers down - losing virtually no power. So you could wake it up after 3 days and it will only have lost about 4-8% battery (for the initial 4 hours). The wake up will take a few seconds as it needs to load the system state from storage.

Not that I am doubting you, but my Surface 3 went from 100% to 85% after just 21 hours. Maybe it's because I still use old math, but to what you posted I should have been to 90% - 92% max. But I am at 85% just after 21 hours, I will come back tomorrow and tell how much I have after 48 hours. Of course I did the registry edit trick so I can have Maximum Performance. But I love it S3 being quick. I will see how much it has after 3 days. Then I will charge it and then switch to the regular power and see how fast it drains then.

prlundberg

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
Not that I am doubting you, but my Surface 3 went from 100% to 85% after just 21 hours. Maybe it's because I still use old math, but to what you posted I should have been to 90% - 92% max. But I am at 85% just after 21 hours, I will come back tomorrow and tell how much I have after 48 hours. Of course I did the registry edit trick so I can have Maximum Performance. But I love it S3 being quick. I will see how much it has after 3 days. Then I will charge it and then switch to the regular power and see how fast it drains then.

This is what I'm seeing too, a bit worse at around 1% per hour. No "deep sleep" or anything like that. It's always been about the same since Windows 10. People have claimed otherwise after resets or updates but I've done that and it still stays the same.

I also did the registry hack but now have put it back to normal power mode. I'm up to date with updates and manually installed the November Surface update.

oditius

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Mine came with W10. I don't mind the power consumption. I just hated the lag. But with the registry hack and max performance, there is no more lag. It is almost as quick as my i7 laptop. I have a 30,000mAh backup power bank that I can use on the road,,,

eckl

Oct 31, 2015
Visit site
Have you applied the Nov firmware/ driver update? It improves the standby time tremendously.

eckl

Oct 31, 2015
Visit site
Mine came with W10. I don't mind the power consumption. I just hated the lag. But with the registry hack and max performance, there is no more lag. It is almost as quick as my i7 laptop. I have a 30,000mAh backup power bank that I can use on the road,,,
Can you kindly share the tweaks you have done to your surface?

Dewg

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site

No worries. The OP was asking about long term power loss, and my response was based on stock configuration. Any modification to settings or reg tweaks will definitely alter that value.

oditius

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
You might want to try installing new battery drivers as talked about in this blog post: How To Update Surface Battery Drivers ? Love My Surface

It installed just fine on my Surface 3 and appears to have improved battery life. I'll have to do a "sleep mode" test and report back my results. FWIW, I am running Win 8.1 Pro so maybe the results will differ to those with Win 10.

I updated it, was at 67% when I put it back in sleep mode... I guess if it burns less than 15%, then maybe it did improve...

GizmoEV

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
You might want to try installing new battery drivers as talked about in this blog post: How To Update Surface Battery Drivers ? Love My Surface

It installed just fine on my Surface 3 and appears to have improved battery life. I'll have to do a "sleep mode" test and report back my results. FWIW, I am running Win 8.1 Pro so maybe the results will differ to those with Win 10.
At 11pm I unplugged my fully charged Surface 3 with Win 8.1 Pro and closed the keyboard. A little over 10 hours later I turned it on and the battery was at 98%. This is much better than before (would have been in the low 80s or 70s) I updated the battery drivers. I did change windows update to just notify me of updates rather than just updating automatically so this may keep the Surface 3 from powering up to check for updates.

oditius

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
OK, I guess it helped, I am down to 57% so I was doing 15% a day till I did that battery update, and only used 10% in the last day..

LibbyLA

May 20, 2015
Visit site
I've done the manual update on my Surface Pro 3, Surface 3, and Dell Venue 8 Pro. Don't know if it will make a difference, but I can't imagine that 2006 drivers are the best ones.

lingobingo

Jul 14, 2014
Visit site
OK, I guess it helped, I am down to 57% so I was doing 15% a day till I did that battery update, and only used 10% in the last day..

What settings did u change exactly until u get the best battery results ?
And thank u for replying man I really appreciate that

oditius

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
What settings did u change exactly until u get the best battery results ?
And thank u for replying man I really appreciate that

As GizmoEV pointed out, I just updated the battery driver. And it improved better than I thought it would. Because the last portion had not only longer time, but I also had to use it to do the fix(update) THe first way didn't work, updating it didn't do nothing. So I downloaded the zip file, extracted the folder on my desktop and updated again, this time I told it where to look.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)