01-22-2016 04:36 PM
32 12
tools
    Hi
    I'm planning to buy the surface 3 but I've been using iPad and I love the power management in it ...so I wonder how is the surface 3 in standby mode if I leave it 3 days on standby how many "percent" does it lose ?
    11-27-2015 05:56 AM
    Never tried standby mode. It boots quick enough for me from shut down... Guess I could try and see, but you would have to wait 3 days for the results...
    lingobingo likes this.
    11-27-2015 01:08 PM
    Opps didn't see that you asked for 1 night. 15% in 21 hours
    Last edited by oditius; 11-28-2015 at 10:19 AM.
    11-28-2015 09:51 AM
    It loses about 1-2% per hour in sleep mode. However, after 4 hours of sleep it will go into deep sleep (hibernation) which saves everything running at the time to storage and essentially powers down - losing virtually no power. So you could wake it up after 3 days and it will only have lost about 4-8% battery (for the initial 4 hours). The wake up will take a few seconds as it needs to load the system state from storage.
    mfgillia and rmeigs like this.
    11-28-2015 03:00 PM
    It loses about 1-2% per hour in sleep mode. However, after 4 hours of sleep it will go into deep sleep (hibernation) which saves everything running at the time to storage and essentially powers down - losing virtually no power. So you could wake it up after 3 days and it will only have lost about 4-8% battery (for the initial 4 hours). The wake up will take a few seconds as it needs to load the system state from storage.
    Not that I am doubting you, but my Surface 3 went from 100% to 85% after just 21 hours. Maybe it's because I still use old math, but to what you posted I should have been to 90% - 92% max. But I am at 85% just after 21 hours, I will come back tomorrow and tell how much I have after 48 hours. Of course I did the registry edit trick so I can have Maximum Performance. But I love it S3 being quick. I will see how much it has after 3 days. Then I will charge it and then switch to the regular power and see how fast it drains then.
    11-28-2015 07:25 PM
    Not that I am doubting you, but my Surface 3 went from 100% to 85% after just 21 hours. Maybe it's because I still use old math, but to what you posted I should have been to 90% - 92% max. But I am at 85% just after 21 hours, I will come back tomorrow and tell how much I have after 48 hours. Of course I did the registry edit trick so I can have Maximum Performance. But I love it S3 being quick. I will see how much it has after 3 days. Then I will charge it and then switch to the regular power and see how fast it drains then.
    This is what I'm seeing too, a bit worse at around 1% per hour. No "deep sleep" or anything like that. It's always been about the same since Windows 10. People have claimed otherwise after resets or updates but I've done that and it still stays the same.

I also did the registry hack but now have put it back to normal power mode. I'm up to date with updates and manually installed the November Surface update.
    11-28-2015 07:43 PM
    Mine came with W10. I don't mind the power consumption. I just hated the lag. But with the registry hack and max performance, there is no more lag. It is almost as quick as my i7 laptop. I have a 30,000mAh backup power bank that I can use on the road,,,
    11-28-2015 08:39 PM
    Have you applied the Nov firmware/ driver update? It improves the standby time tremendously.
    11-29-2015 02:07 AM
    Mine came with W10. I don't mind the power consumption. I just hated the lag. But with the registry hack and max performance, there is no more lag. It is almost as quick as my i7 laptop. I have a 30,000mAh backup power bank that I can use on the road,,,
    Can you kindly share the tweaks you have done to your surface?
    11-29-2015 02:08 AM
    No worries. The OP was asking about long term power loss, and my response was based on stock configuration. Any modification to settings or reg tweaks will definitely alter that value.
    11-29-2015 02:22 AM
    Have you applied the Nov firmware/ driver update? It improves the standby time tremendously.
    Yes
    11-29-2015 06:12 PM
    53 hours down to 70% Looks like 15% per day in standby (Sleep)
    11-29-2015 06:13 PM
    Can you kindly share the tweaks you have done to your surface?
    It's in a thread somewhere below this one.

power-management-settings-article
    11-29-2015 06:15 PM
    You might want to try installing new battery drivers as talked about in this blog post: How To Update Surface Battery Drivers ? Love My Surface

It installed just fine on my Surface 3 and appears to have improved battery life. I'll have to do a "sleep mode" test and report back my results. FWIW, I am running Win 8.1 Pro so maybe the results will differ to those with Win 10.
    11-29-2015 06:29 PM
    You might want to try installing new battery drivers as talked about in this blog post: How To Update Surface Battery Drivers ? Love My Surface

It installed just fine on my Surface 3 and appears to have improved battery life. I'll have to do a "sleep mode" test and report back my results. FWIW, I am running Win 8.1 Pro so maybe the results will differ to those with Win 10.
    I updated it, was at 67% when I put it back in sleep mode... I guess if it burns less than 15%, then maybe it did improve...
    11-29-2015 09:22 PM

At 11pm I unplugged my fully charged Surface 3 with Win 8.1 Pro and closed the keyboard. A little over 10 hours later I turned it on and the battery was at 98%. This is much better than before (would have been in the low 80s or 70s) I updated the battery drivers. I did change windows update to just notify me of updates rather than just updating automatically so this may keep the Surface 3 from powering up to check for updates.
    11-30-2015 11:27 AM
    OK, I guess it helped, I am down to 57% so I was doing 15% a day till I did that battery update, and only used 10% in the last day..
    11-30-2015 03:55 PM
    I've done the manual update on my Surface Pro 3, Surface 3, and Dell Venue 8 Pro. Don't know if it will make a difference, but I can't imagine that 2006 drivers are the best ones.
    oditius likes this.
    11-30-2015 04:35 PM
    OK, I guess it helped, I am down to 57% so I was doing 15% a day till I did that battery update, and only used 10% in the last day..
    What settings did u change exactly until u get the best battery results ?
    And thank u for replying man I really appreciate that
    12-02-2015 03:06 AM
    What settings did u change exactly until u get the best battery results ?
    And thank u for replying man I really appreciate that
    As GizmoEV pointed out, I just updated the battery driver. And it improved better than I thought it would. Because the last portion had not only longer time, but I also had to use it to do the fix(update) THe first way didn't work, updating it didn't do nothing. So I downloaded the zip file, extracted the folder on my desktop and updated again, this time I told it where to look.
    tbsteph likes this.
    12-02-2015 05:50 AM
    So any feedback of installing the above update, is it safe to install? Is it meant for our S3 or just for SP4/SB?
    12-10-2015 05:36 AM
    I don't use my Surface 3 much while I am at home. And no money to go on vacation, so it sits and does nothing. (I use my 17" laptop 99.99% of the time) I do take it out to update once in a while. But while I was testing the battery and other stuff, i have had better battery performance, faster speed and more control. That update can do more, but it only shows you one thing. While you are adding the high performance, look at the other adjustments before you restore your registry back to the way it was. There are a few more things that can be adjusted to increase speed. Please don't ask, I didn't write it down, and I don't remember things the way I use to years and years ago. lol
    12-10-2015 05:42 AM
    So any feedback of installing the above update, is it safe to install? Is it meant for our S3 or just for SP4/SB?
    Given that the driver installed without a problem (normally the install would fail if it won't work) and has been working just fine I'd say it is safe. The blog referenced is only about the SP4/SB some of the same components can be in other devices. One comenter on the blog said:
    E. Swoope
    November 30, 2015 at 6:34 pm

I have done this with my Surface Pro 3, Surface 3, and Dell Venue 8 Pro. We shall see what happens! Had to do all three of them manually.
    As you can see he even installed the drivers on a Dell product which makes sense since NEC makes the hardware used.
    oditius likes this.
    12-10-2015 02:47 PM
    "He" is a "she" :).

I've lost the battery indicator on the Dell Venue 8 Pro running Windows 10 but I don't know if it was the battery driver or not. No problem with the S3, haven't used my SP3 since then. I do know that my battery didn't discharge much at all in 6 days after a full charge and power down.
    12-13-2015 08:43 PM
    I've found a good battery saver on standby:

Given default power settings - go to an Admin Command Prompt and type: POWERCFG -H -TYPE FULL
    Then restart
    Now go into Control Panel and Power Options
    Go into Advanced Power Options - and you'll have access to a new Sleep category - set Hibernation to 120 mins (default 240 mins).

Your Surface will hibernate after 2 hours - saving a good amount of battery - also, with a much larger hibernation file, it recovers from hibernation faster. If you have passwords disabled, it'll wake directly to the desktop (or Start Menu)
    12-13-2015 09:32 PM
32 12