Limited Connectivity Issue - Brand new Surface 3 - Windows 10. Any Advice?

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

Limited Connectivity Issue - Brand new Surface 3 - Windows 10

My Surface 3 (Windows 10) is less than 48 hours old and I am getting limited access message every couple of seconds. The wifi symbol on the right goes from 5 bars to yellow limited access, back to 5 bars and back to yellow limited access. I have read posts on this forum but most having this problem seem to be after upgrading to Windows 10. I have tried going to Device Manager to turn off power saving and can't even find an area where I can make any changes or turn off power saving. When I got the Surface, it suppository downloaded the latest Windows 10 version during setup. Thanks in advance for any help.

cygnus11

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
Are you updated to the November update of Windows 10? I had this problem all the time before the November update. Before the update, I had to rollback the wifi adapter driver to the previous version (I think the driver version was from March 2015) just to get the wifi to hold a stable connection. But after the update, I don't see this problem.

Localady

Dec 2, 2015
Visit site
Thanks... It turned out to be a combination of Windows 10 and my ISP provider. I actually ended up taking it to back to the Microsoft Store and they installed the Nov release then ran diagnostics. My internet connected perfectly at the Microsoft store and at two different wifi hotspots (T-Mobile and Verizon) but not at home where I have my internet with Brighthouse... Brighthouse downloaded new firmware on their equipment (which they also had done last week), we rebooted everything and (so far) I seem to have good connections... They also changed channels which they claim will also boost the speed. The changing of channels didn't make sense to me, but so far it sees to be working ...

Thanks Again for your response

GizmoEV

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
They also changed channels which they claim will also boost the speed. The changing of channels didn't make sense to me, but so far it sees to be working ...

If there are other WiFi access points within range of yours they may be on the same or overlapping channels which can cause interference with your connection. There are also other possible sources of radio interference so a channel change might avoid it.

If you are curious you could download a program like inSSIDer Home and look at what devices are around, how strong their signals are, and what channels they are on.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss