Customize the surface pen button

mikelino666

Nov 14, 2015
Visit site
Hi guys. A new Update of the surface pen4 (that is usable on the surface 3 as well) has just been released. I read online that we should find the option in the surface app but, even if it's up to date, looks that i can't manage to change anything. Any of you, with a surface 4 pen, tried to check it? Thank you in advance

YKinase

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
I have a surface pro 3 and the pro 4 pen. I also do not see the app-specific config options for the pen. Just pressure sensitivity as usual.

mikelino666

Nov 14, 2015
Visit site
I've just spoken with a microsoft chat assistant and he told me that the customization of the button is for the surface pro4, pro3 and book with the surface 4. I don't know why it couldn't be available on surface 3 with surface pen 4. Bah

Telstar1948

Nov 4, 2015
Visit site
Actually, if you have a S3 and you get the new pen, you can easily customize the pen settings for the top button. Your Surface app won't show anything other than pen sensitivity settings until you do what I'm going to tell you. Once you do this, the pen customization settings will appear in your Surface app.

You have to download the new pen drivers from MS. They will show as SP4 drivers in a zip file. Download the zip file and unzip it. Then un-pair your new pen. Then go into device manager where you'll find 3 drivers for the pen. Manually uninstall each driver. Go to your unzipped driver folder you downloaded. Find these three (SurfacePen, SurfacePenPairing, SurfacePenSettingsDriver). Select the first pen driver (.inf) and right-click on it and select install. Do that will all three pen drivers. Once that's done, reboot your S3. Then pair your new pen. Then go into the Surface app and you'll find the customization setting showing for the top pen button (the eraser button). Customize the top button as you prefer.

This works flawlessly as I found this procedure on another forum and installed the new pen drivers to my S3 yesterday. Good hunting!

3earnhardt3

Oct 19, 2012
Visit site
Thanks Telstar for the heads up, worked like a charm. Shame I have to hack my device to re-enable a feature that was present when I first bought my device. I'm loving the SP4 Pen so far, feels so much better to write with than the SP3 pen and erasing with the top button is just natural to me.

mikelino666

Nov 14, 2015
Visit site
Actually, if you have a S3 and you get the new pen, you can easily customize the pen settings for the top button. Your Surface app won't show anything other than pen sensitivity settings until you do what I'm going to tell you. Once you do this, the pen customization settings will appear in your Surface app.

You have to download the new pen drivers from MS. They will show as SP4 drivers in a zip file. Download the zip file and unzip it. Then un-pair your new pen. Then go into device manager where you'll find 3 drivers for the pen. Manually uninstall each driver. Go to your unzipped driver folder you downloaded. Find these three (SurfacePen, SurfacePenPairing, SurfacePenSettingsDriver). Select the first pen driver (.inf) and right-click on it and select install. Do that will all three pen drivers. Once that's done, reboot your S3. Then pair your new pen. Then go into the Surface app and you'll find the customization setting showing for the top pen button (the eraser button). Customize the top button as you prefer.

This works flawlessly as I found this procedure on another forum and installed the new pen drivers to my S3 yesterday. Good hunting!
I tried this guide on my surface 3 but it's still the same...any suggestion?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99