Surface 3 LTE or Ipad Pro LTE

o4liberty

Oct 28, 2011
Visit site
I am in the market for a new LTE tablet from ATT and I cant decide on which one looking for feedback from LTE owners of the Surface 3.

o4liberty

Oct 28, 2011
Visit site
Full PC (Surface 3) vs Tablet PC (iPad). That's pretty much what it comes down to, honestly.

I fully understand that I am looking at reliability of the product, I use Microsoft email and cloud service but all my equipment is Apple pretty much. I don't see many negatives about the iPad but I do on the surface 3 running Windows 10. I played around with a Surface 3 and kind of liked it!

o4liberty

Oct 28, 2011
Visit site
The pro is more expensive and from what I have seen the performance is not there even thought I am fully vested in Apples ecosystem. Battery life is better by about 4 hours but you are limited to tablet only not the full PC experience.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
By both, problem solved. :winktongue:

They're both great devices. Choose whichever you think would be the most beneficial to your work/life.

eagle63

Dec 30, 2015
Visit site
I very recently switched to a Surface 3 from an iPad. I also primarily own Apple products (though I do have a win-10 gaming pc), but have always been intrigued by the Surface devices. What made me jump on the Surface 3 (rather than the Surface PRO 3) was the size/form-factor. I wanted something that felt more like a tablet than the Pro. I'm only about 3 weeks into this switch, but I'll give you my thoughts so far:

The Surface 3 is a subpar tablet. There, I said it. :) And the reasons why are all software:
- Ecosystem for touch-friendly apps is a barren wasteland compared to iOS.
- Battery life (particularly in standby mode) is terrible compared to an iPad.
- Windows 10, while not bad, is still a little janky for me in tablet mode.

However, as a small, light-duty laptop it's great, and the strength of the Surface is it's size/flexibility. So if you're an iPad user, and are planning on using the Surface 3 primarily as a tablet I think you'll be disappointed. However, if you're going to frequently use it as a small laptop, or as a means to run some legacy win32 programs with tablet-duty on the side, I think you'll like it.

Steve Adams

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
I very recently switched to a Surface 3 from an iPad. I also primarily own Apple products (though I do have a win-10 gaming pc), but have always been intrigued by the Surface devices. What made me jump on the Surface 3 (rather than the Surface PRO 3) was the size/form-factor. I wanted something that felt more like a tablet than the Pro. I'm only about 3 weeks into this switch, but I'll give you my thoughts so far:

The Surface 3 is a subpar tablet. There, I said it. :) And the reasons why are all software:
- Ecosystem for touch-friendly apps is a barren wasteland compared to iOS.
- Battery life (particularly in standby mode) is terrible compared to an iPad.
- Windows 10, while not bad, is still a little janky for me in tablet mode.

However, as a small, light-duty laptop it's great, and the strength of the Surface is it's size/flexibility. So if you're an iPad user, and are planning on using the Surface 3 primarily as a tablet I think you'll be disappointed. However, if you're going to frequently use it as a small laptop, or as a means to run some legacy win32 programs with tablet-duty on the side, I think you'll like it.

If the surface 3 is a subpar tablet. the ipad pro is an overpriced janky computer that pretends to be a tablet as its only good as a tablet and useless as everything else.

eagle63

Dec 30, 2015
Visit site
If the surface 3 is a subpar tablet. the ipad pro is an overpriced janky computer that pretends to be a tablet as its only good as a tablet and useless as everything else.
So do you own an iPad Pro? Or are you just angry? The iPad Pro is not for me either, if I were going back to an iPad it would be an Air 2. It's interesting to see the direction things are going though. The iPad is scaling up, and the Surface is scaling down - both sort of meeting (functionally) in the middle as hybrid device. So far I prefer MS's approach to this.

Last edited:

Steve Adams

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
No, I or my son has an ipad 2. and I am not angry at all. I have the ipad and surface. the ipad pro is a big ipad with a keyboard. that's it, nothing more. The surface 3 is much more than a tablet, and can do many more things than the ipad pro. for a lot less. Even the SP4 is less than the ipad "pro".

eagle63

Dec 30, 2015
Visit site
No, I or my son has an ipad 2. and I am not angry at all. I have the ipad and surface. the ipad pro is a big ipad with a keyboard. that's it, nothing more. The surface 3 is much more than a tablet, and can do many more things than the ipad pro. for a lot less. Even the SP4 is less than the ipad "pro".

I think we're mostly agreeing here. But for anyone who's thinking of switching from an iPad to a Surface (as the OP in thread is), I feel like I need to point out that - at least in my experience - the Surface 3 is not a very good tablet, despite what Microsoft's marketing might have you believe. (I think "subpar" was being generous - even a decent Android tablet is better) But like I said, it's value is in the "other stuff" it can do, and as long as that other stuff is what you're looking for - it's a great device.

Edit: In the same regard, if someone was a laptop user but wanted a bit more of a touchscreen/tablet like experience (but keep the same level of productivity), I wouldn't recommend them an iPad Pro.

onlysublime

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
I don't think the tablet experience on the Surface is bad. It may not have the breadth of the other platforms but there are some darn good apps out there. Some fantastic games. Some great productivity ones. And with the Universal Windows Apps being released (with a number of them using the tools to convert their iOS code base to Windows), the gap with shorten.

I would even argue that the web browsing experience is far superior in Windows 10 than any other mobile OS since you have the full web experience (Flash, Silverlight, etc.).

And the tablet mode is getting better (though Windows 8.1 is still better as a tablet UI in a few ways but Windows 10 is closing the gap).

But having the convenience of one machine doing everything is just so alluring.

eagle63

Dec 30, 2015
Visit site
I would even argue that the web browsing experience is far superior in Windows 10 than any other mobile OS since you have the full web experience (Flash, Silverlight, etc.).
I partially disagree here, Flash and Silverlight are dying/dead technologies and I don't think I've ever run into a scenario with my iPad where I couldn't render a site with Safari. (though maybe I've just been lucky) I've been playing with Edge, Firefox, and Chrome on my Surface and all 3 are varying degrees of mediocre. Since I'm mostly a Chrome user, that's what I've decided to go with that but man it's not great on a touch device. (Edge is better in that regard, but Edge has been a little slow and crashy for me) By comparison, Safari on an iPad Pro is lightning fast and relatively slick to use with a touchscreen. On the other hand, you are getting a "full" browser with the Surface, so even though Chrome is a little hard to use with a touchscreen - at least I'm getting my plugins.
And the tablet mode is getting better (though Windows 8.1 is still better as a tablet UI in a few ways but Windows 10 is closing the gap).
But having the convenience of one machine doing everything is just so alluring.
Agreed on both. I think Windows 10 tablet mode is definitely going to improve, and like the concept of it switching between desktop/tablet modes.

onlysublime

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
I've had quite a few sites not render properly on an iPad. Heck, even Disney and ESPN don't render properly on an iPad browser, forcing you to use the iPad apps to get their content properly (and it's not quite rendering properly but rendering to fit iOS limitations). It's been well documented on many tech sites. In Apple's world, they want the companies to make iOS apps in order to get content. Not to do things through a web browser.

Here's a recent article that encapsulates what's wrong with mobile browsers and the rise of mobile apps to replace it: http://arstechnica.co.uk/information-technology/2015/12/the-app-ocalypse-can-web-standards-make-mobile-apps-obsolete/

seremify

May 9, 2015
Visit site
If you want a tablet, the iPad Air 2 is a far superior tablet experience. If you want (or need) Windows then Surface 3. I own both and whilst I always wish I could find more uses for the Surface 3, the iPad Air 2 is the device I take for work or for fun if I can only take one. Get a good keyboard case and the iPad Air 2 is an amazing portable device. That being said, having a full fledged computer in a form factor this size and using the Type Cover, is a pretty decent experience. It comes down to what you'll be using it for though and whether you accept Windows inherent compromises/limitations in tablet form.

Note I've never used a Surface 3 LTE but I wonder how seamless it is compared to the iPad with LTE. I love my iPad Air being always connected/always on with no effort required from me. My iPad is also enterprise managed by my company and I just enjoy everything working and having access to enterprise developed apps/automatic VPN/etc and Touch ID.

EDIT: I know the Op was asking iPad Pro LTE but whilst it's a newer device, it's more comparable to SP4 than S3. One thing which Op also should consider with Surface line is whether or not they need to use it in cramped spaces e.g. economy class on a plane. It's pretty hard to use in economy due to the kickstand needing to have support whilst the keyboard cover also needs support - especially when person in front reclines even half way.

icwhatudidthere

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
It really just comes down to whether you need the ability to run full Windows applications to be productive. If you do, the iPad Pro really isn't an option.

Myself, I have the Surface 3 LTE and it's a fine device but Windows 10 is kinda janky and I'm not talking about the regular complaints about how it doesn't do tablet mode well. Windows 10 has had more than a few well documented issues on many Surface devices ranging from sleep not even working on older Surface Pros to the power button not responding after a few days of uptime. Many have also had issues with sleep draining lots of power on Surface 3s due to hibernation being disabled by default. I also have an issue where my Surface 3 will randomly start requiring a PIN on the lock screen even though I have it set to never require a PIN.

I put up with all those foibles because I like the ability to run full Windows programs, including Steam games and some work specific apps that simply don't exist on full-on tablets.

Telstar1948

Nov 4, 2015
Visit site
The LTE issue is something someone else will have to comment about since my S3 is the non-LTE version.

I've used Apple products for years as well as Windows machines. There are pros and cons for both, in my experience; however, I went back into the Windows world because, overall, there are too many things that iOS devices simply don't provide. Easy connectivity and storage as well as a true file system are big items for me. Full OS software is a big item for me as well. I've had iPads and they were nice, but they lacked a true file system, easy connectivity and the rest. Even running OSX on a desktop had certain limitations interfacing with the Windows world. I got tired of using Fusion or Parallels or Boot Camp to be able to use software that I needed to run that a stock Apple device couldn't. I actually love OSX and iOS, but to me they are both handicapped to one degree or another.

It all comes down to what you like or have to have. I like my Windows desktop setup (particularly if I want to do some real gaming), but I love my S3 because it does everything my desktop does (except PC gaming), but it is light, quiet, cool, very good type cover, highly portable, pen-able to the nth degree and so on. I can run my office from my S3 without issues or limitations. Everyone has different likes/dislikes/needs, but I find the S3 to be a wonderful device. I've had SP3's and a nice Surface Book along with a Thinkpad Yoga 14 - all nice devices, but the combination of my desktop in my office and my S3 gives me everything I desire. I just wasn't able to achieve this with Apple devices though I tried that route for quite a few years.

Of course, you can have an S3 4/128 with type cover for not much money these days especially when compared to iPads, iPad Pro's or even the SP's with the same stuff added.

Steve Adams

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
If you look you can get a 4gb with 64gb ram too....that's what I have. Add in a 128mb memory card and way to go! If you want to save a bit of money on initial purchase. I agree, the S3 is sweet for everything except gaming. I love the fact that I have my desktop computer with me at all times. It works great as a tablet as far as I am concerned, does everything I want my tablet to do, and then it turns into my notebook computer with the type cover. I have only one complaint. The material the type cover uses wears quickly if you rest your wrists to type. I am not sure if there is any way to stop this.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo