surface 3 pen keyboard

grezmel

Jan 3, 2014
Visit site
My surface pen opens handwriting area rather than keyboard - is there a way to set up so that the keyboard pops up as default as it struggles to recognise my handwriting ?.

GizmoEV

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
I'm running Windows 8.1 so this might not exactly match you if you are running Win 10. When the onscreen keyboard opens up there should be an icon on the lower right side of he keyboard with a down pointing triangle. Tap that and select the keyboard style you want for the default.

grezmel

Jan 3, 2014
Visit site
I'm running Windows 8.1 so this might not exactly match you if you are running Win 10. When the onscreen keyboard opens up there should be an icon on the lower right side of he keyboard with a down pointing triangle. Tap that and select the keyboard style you want for the default.

Thanks - ive tried that, however it always defaults back to pen input the next time I click on an editable field.

ALToronto

Apr 9, 2014
Visit site
You can't change the default. If you're tapping the kb icon with the pen, Windows brings up the handwriting input line. Then you can select the on-screen kb. If you want the on-screen kb right away, use your finger to touch the kb icon.

You do know that Windows learns your handwriting, right? The more you write, the better it gets. You teach it by selecting the correct words from the suggested ones.

GizmoEV

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
You do know that Windows learns your handwriting, right? The more you write, the better it gets. You teach it by selecting the correct words from the suggested ones.

I didn't know that. Thanks. I wondered how it worked. I know that the PocketPC was quite good at learning my handwriting so I was puzzled when I couldn't find how to train Windows 8.x.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
graceevans