Remix OS (Android) on Surface 3

Firipu

Jul 21, 2015
Visit site
I got it working pretty much flawlessly on my Surface Pro 3 (core i5, 128gb model)

First download the RemixOS EFI version

Unpack it. Plug in your USB3.0 stick. Run the Exe file and choose the ISO from the package in the little program.

Reboot your Surface in the BIOS (-> Shut it down -> Press and hold volume-up -> Press power)

Then turn off secure boot.
And change the bootorder to USB >> SSD.

Then just boot with the USB stick plugged in. Works like a charm. It recognizes the SP3 typecover, but not the touchpad. Touchscreen works. Wifi works. Just have to install google apps.
The resolution is really really tiny though. Haven't found a simple way to change it yet.

Last edited:

belenluna

Jan 29, 2016
Visit site
Do you have rear camera access?? i don't have rear camera access. i've also have installed other camera apps and have no results. I've installed efi system on hard drive and Remix Os seems to work perfectly. (i only have access to front camera)

pakman5391

Jan 19, 2016
Visit site
My Surface pro 4 type cover does not work. It's incredibly frustrating, because the type cover for the pro 3 has a bad trackpad. Any idea why this might be?

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I can't get it to boot from the USB. I formatted as fat32 and still no luck. Anyone with a surface 3 get it working?

I had to format my USB drive using HP USB Disk Storage Format Tool, available here. I found the tip from a thread on Reddit. For some reason, my laptop wouldn't recognize the drive as a boot drive otherwise, even when formatted as Fat32.

Note: I was not booting Remix OS on my Surface 3, but on my laptop. I don't know if using this format tool will help in your case, but it might be worth a try.

seremify

May 9, 2015
Visit site
I ended up giving up after reading enough comments about how alpha the alpha version is... and to keep my gadget-hunger satisfied, I bought an SP4 lol.

CallistoJag

Mar 11, 2016
Visit site
Ok to run remixos on a Surface 3 there are 2 options, direct from USB (follow simple remixos instructions to create). Then you need to switch your surface on holding down volume up button. When in EFI bios, disable secure boot. Save and restart. Once win10 has loaded up sign in and open up start>settings>update&security>recovery>advancedrecovery(restart now)
Select boot from USB when it restarts. Follow the standard RemixOS install routine. Once RemixOS has booted everything apart from touch screen should run fine and dandy (even the keyboard and touchpad). I have installed google play store and amazon underground and all apps appear to work fine.
The second option is to dual boot. To do this you again need to turn off the secure boot mode of your surface 3. This time when back in Windows 10, you need to use the RemixOS tool (downloaded with the OS) using this (as of 1st March 2016) you can choose to install to an internal HDD. In order to do this you need to partition your internal HDD with at least 5GB second partition formated in fat32. (to do this in "computer management" tool, you need to first schrink the primary partion a little inorder to "free up" some room. Create the new partion and format as fat32 you might also want to lable it "Android".) Once you have installed RemixOS on this partition using the RemixOS tool, you are prompted to reboot. Once your surface is rebooted you are given 2 boot choices, the default windows and the second RemixOS (note you have 26 seconds to decide before it boots to windows). If you choose RemixOS it starts its installation boot sequence. Once this is completed further boots are very much quicker. The only issue I have had with this second partition install is that sometimes the first install has problems opening some apps. If this happens, reinstall RemixOS within windows using the RemixOS app again. Once working, it stays working. Important last note, write down your bitlocker code before starting either of the above, as you will need to enter this code the first time you boot windows after turning off secure boot. Enjoy :)

Last edited:

CallistoJag

Mar 11, 2016
Visit site
... Enjoy RemixOS on the Surface 3, it is lots of fun and appart from the touch support (which I guess will come) an almost perfect experiance!! :smile:

Last edited:

hoangduy

Mar 26, 2016
Visit site
I have install remix os on my surface 3.
And I have problem with screen brightness (can not adjust) and touchscreen (not working).
Anyone run remix os on SF3? Do you face these problem?

z4ck2010

Jun 3, 2016
Visit site
I tried to install Remix OS beside Win10 on my S3 according to this tutorial (https://hitricks.com/guide-how-to-dual-boot-remix-os-with-windows-uefi-legacy). It works. Only thing I miss is the Boot-Manager at the startup. Maybe I'll fix this in the future, but atm I dont know how.

The touchscreen is not working on my device neither. But I got good news. It seems after 05/31 there are linux-drivers for the touchscreen (https://wiki.gnome.org/BastienNocera/Surface 3). So maybe the touchscreen incl. stylus will work in the future.

Best regards,

Alex

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuffster