Remix OS (Android) on Surface 3

seremify

May 9, 2015
Visit site
Has anyone had any success getting the Remix OS by Jide to boot on the Surface 3? I've downloaded and created the boot drive off a USB but despite getting the boot menu to boot from USB (network > usb > ssd) and disabling secure boot, it still won't load. Any ideas?

Remix OS > http://www.jide.com/en/remixos-for-pc

I followed the MS guidance here to boot from USB: https://forums.windowscentral.com/e...overy-device%3Fos%3Dwindows-10&token=uyvbQN1Z

All that happens is my Surface 3 goes into Bitlocker recovery and I try clicking use USB but nothing happens :(

seremify

May 9, 2015
Visit site
What size USB are you using? And filesystem?

I was trying exFat on a 64gb usb. I think some people said you need to use FAT32 but the Windows tool won't format FAT32 for >32gb drives, and I tried some freeware tool which despite selecting quick format, takes forever and ultimately fails.

I'll try some other tools tonight to see if that might work; or maybe try a 32gb USB.

klcow

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
AFAIK, surface 3 devices natively boot using UEFI, not the older BIOS standard. For Remix OS to run, it requires you to boot from the USB drive in BIOS mode not UEFI mode. Unless there is a way to change settings on the surface 3 to boot the USB using BIOS mode, you're out of luck until Remix creates a UEFI bootable version

seremify

May 9, 2015
Visit site
AFAIK, surface 3 devices natively boot using UEFI, not the older BIOS standard. For Remix OS to run, it requires you to boot from the USB drive in BIOS mode not UEFI mode. Unless there is a way to change settings on the surface 3 to boot the USB using BIOS mode, you're out of luck until Remix creates a UEFI bootable version

dang... is that something unlikely to happen or can we do ourselves?

The Surface 3 seems like it would be a perfect device to try Remix OS on!

taymur

Aug 22, 2012
Visit site

Remix OS website was just updated, there is an new EFI version now.

Because Racecar

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
is this the windows killer? or not yet?

Considering that it's android OS, why would it be a windows killer? I think it's just a way for people to use android app, like Clash of Clans, on a windows machine, right? Still not going to get the capability of Windows programs in Android, despite what Google wants you to believe.

seremify

May 9, 2015
Visit site
Remix OS website was just updated, there is an new EFI version now.

I still couldn't get it to boot despite turning off the secure boot function in the Surface 3. Anyone else had any luck with the EFI version? Or is it because I'm trying to do this on an exFAT 64gb USB?

Because Racecar

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
I still couldn't get it to boot despite turning off the secure boot function in the Surface 3. Anyone else had any luck with the EFI version? Or is it because I'm trying to do this on an exFAT 64gb USB?

I have a feeling the exFAT is not helping. Can you partition it and try for FAT32? I think you can now make it FAT32, but the file size is limited to 4 GB.

Housetone

Jan 14, 2016
Visit site
I am able to boot to the USB drive when it was formatted as FAT32, however after the selection of guest or resident on the boot screen i get the error: "no such device: /system.sfs" it then gets stuck on a black screen.

Mr.Gadget

Jan 16, 2016
Visit site
I have a Surface Pro 3 and just downloaded the EFI version of RemixOS. I re-made the thumb drive (8GB USB 3) and it still will not boot to USB drive. I see the drive flashing like it might be trying but then it boots into Windows 10 anyway. Anyone have any luck at all yet with the Surface Pro 3??

Steve Adams

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
is this the windows killer? or not yet?

Too funny, there is nothing windows killer about anything android. After having to use it for the past couple of weeks I am ready to flip the F out at the shipping company shipping my screen to me for my 1020. Android is HORRIBLE. Windows/Microsoft is WAY ahead of android in every department besides apps...and that is going to be changing this year. Its actually already started. Microsoft is already pushing islandwood to IOS developers. They did not want to use android apps as they are mostly worse than IOS apps in quality.

TejasMehta

Oct 31, 2015
Visit site
I am able to boot to the USB drive when it was formatted as FAT32, however after the selection of guest or resident on the boot screen i get the error: "no such device: /system.sfs" it then gets stuck on a black screen.

Same exact error on my lenovo yoga 2 pro. Anyone successfully boot using efi version?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb