Surface 3 won't turn off from start menu, why?

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

surface 3 wont turn off from start menu

Only way to turn off is to press power button for 30 seconds

3earnhardt3

Oct 19, 2012
Visit site
Look in your update history for a firmware update dated 7/23/2015. My machine failed to install this firmware update at some point in the past and then "successfully" installed at a later date. After the "Successful" install date I lost the ability to shutdown, restart or go to sleep. I refreshed, reset, complete re-installed and would always run into an issue after that update. My machine came with 8.1, so I re-imaged it using the factory image provided by the Microsoft support site and it runs great now, albeit without W10.

JAG58

Aug 5, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for your feedback, that's the best info received to date! I can confirm what you also went through, except that i stupidly reinstalled W10 thinking i had an update issue related to that 7/23/15 file since it failed a few times before finally installing. Guess we are on the right track. Any others out there have an issue with this and anyone know of a solution? Maybe i should go back to android and use window apps!! way easier to control. Getting so despondent with W10.

Telstar1948

Nov 4, 2015
Visit site
Was your reinstall of Windows 10 a clean install? My S3 came with Windows 10, which doesn't necessarily mean much; however, I've simply not had issues with my S3 at all. It simply does what it's supposed to do. I have had a few display driver problems, maybe 3 times, but that hasn't happened now in weeks. I realize this doesn't help your situation, just know that there are S3's out here that are working correctly with Windows 10.

JAG58

Aug 5, 2015
Visit site
Yes, my reinstall of Windows 10 was clean. Too many bugs occurring on a frequent basis especially for a leading manufacturer of technology. Just ask New England Patriots!!!!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb